Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Howdy From Central Texas

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1378 times

Old 07-03-2013, 03:01:08 PM
Registered

Default Howdy From Central Texas

Howdy Y'all!

I've been collecting and restoring windmills for the last 16 years. I've recently been catching myself day dreaming about engines and thinking what I could do with one.

I've restored several Baker/Monitor windmills and have 3 standing around the house. I'd really like to find a Baker/Monitor engine, but I'm here to learn about the different kinds that there are and maybe I'll find something else.

Maybe 10 years or so ago, I stopped in Stonewall, TX for a tractor show/pull and they had a lot of engines there also. I think that was in the spring, but the older I get the hazier things are...are there any shows in central Tx coming up?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quixote Kid For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2013, 05:01:48 PM
Subscriber

Talking Re: Howdy From Central Texas

Welcome Brad!
First weekend in October at Temple, TX. 4 & 5,2013. A Friday and Saturday Show. The Show that was at Stonewall has moved to Fredricksburg, TX. and was on June 7 & 8. Maybe more? J.R.Smith Tatum,TX.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:11:49 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Howdy From Central Texas

Howdy from north Texas. You can probably find a Monitor vj pump engine fairly easily. It is an upright 1.25 hp with pump jack gears incorporated.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:32:13 PM
Registered-II

Glad to have you here. The Temple, Texas show is a very good one to be at, lots of tractors and engines. Hope you get something you like, the engines are pretty neat, I have 8 of them.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:10:56 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,529 Times in 3,165 Posts

Welcome Aboard.

I'm kind of thinking too, that with your windmills, the little pump jack Monitor would probably be a good one for you. The HJ horizontals and the Ball Hopper uprights are more desireable, but can also be bit pricey for a first engine.

The pump jack engines kind of go hand-in-hand with the windmills.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:46:03 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.Smith View Post
Welcome Brad!
First weekend in October at Temple, TX. 4 & 5,2013. A Friday and Saturday Show. The Show that was at Stonewall has moved to Fredricksburg, TX. and was on June 7 & 8. Maybe more? J.R.Smith Tatum,TX.
Howdy J.R.! I thought there might be a windmiller or two over here.

I guess that's why I haven't been back to the Stonewall/Fredricksburg show, it's the same time as the International Windmillers' Trade Fair.

Thanks for the rest of the welcomes...I agree that a little pump jack engine would be fitting under one of the windmills. But maybe it's too specialized? While I would like to pump with it, maybe I should find one that I can pump, but also run a belt and possibly other equipment?
Old 07-09-2013, 12:04:51 PM
Subscriber

Hey Brad. Welcome to the Stak. Good luck with your search.Later, Jeff
Old 07-10-2013, 02:52:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,529 Times in 3,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote Kid View Post
......I agree that a little pump jack engine would be fitting under one of the windmills. But maybe it's too specialized? While I would like to pump with it, maybe I should find one that I can pump, but also run a belt and possibly other equipment?
I can't say they all have them, but I'm pretty sure some of the little Monitor Pump Jack engines also had belt pulleys on them for running other equipment. Granted, they weren't portable when mounted to a well pump, but the other equipment could be brought to them.