Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Hydraulic press for making sawdust briquettes

I want to build a simple hydraulic press to make some sawdust briquettes/pucks. I've used my shop...

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 4804 times

Old 07-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Registered-III

Default Hydraulic press for making sawdust briquettes?

I want to build a simple hydraulic press to make some sawdust briquettes/pucks. I've used my shop press with a mix of sawdust and water.
What I really want to do is use the sawdust dry and let the wood lignen harden the pucks.
I've looked at Youtube videos of this process making sawdust pellets, this would be the same principle but in a larger product. The friction through a die heats the sawdust and a hot puck is produced.
I'm not sure how to go about making a die and the amount of pressure required to form the puck. Thanks

Last edited by 930dreamer; 07-17-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,610 Times in 594 Posts
Default Re: Hydraulic press for making sawdust briquettes

You might want to look at John Buskirks site. I used to work with him before he started building his pellet mills. Nice guy and he may be able to answer your ???? Or even talk to Kevin Riley, his sales guy. He is knowledgeable also and I also worked with him before he went with John.

http://buskirkeng.com/index.php
Old 07-24-2013, 07:13 AM
Registered-II

Commercial Feed pellet mill uses two rollers to push product against a outer ring with holes drilled in it( die ) the die spins around the two rollers..The clearance to die is adjustable. They soften the Feed with steam first.This is for animal feed pellets.I would think they have to dry the pellets afterwards or maybe the die pressure creates enough friction/ heat to do it for them. I have not seen them in operation.
I have worked on them but do not know all the operation only the machinework that makes up the equipment.
Sawdust i would imagine would require higher forces to bind it together and the resulting pellet would have to be moderately dry to burn well i would think. Force on area is pressure you could work backwards on your press if the gauge is accurate to calculate forces. You know your starting volume to finished volume as well and the area of the puck.
You can also play around with water content to see how that effects puck "solidification".
You may not get enough frictional heat in fixed die pressing, through dies create heat by the frictional drag on the walls of the die a property called possions ratio comes into effect.
With Puck being larger than a pellet the distance water has to travel from the middle to the edge is longer so i would also think the time for it to dry out would be longer as well.
That may be a disadvantage.
Pellets have small area so moderate forces on small area gives high pressures to "forge" the pellet, increasing the area the forces have to be much larger to give the same pressures.

The cost to create the compression forces needed (electricity cost if electric motor driven) would need to be noted as if high forces and lots of power is used it may be better to leave the sawdust as is and make a burner for sawdust that is efficient rather than having the additional costs in processing it to another state.

If you still want to i suppose initially you could convert your press into a cyclic process, fill ,press,open, press out puck; close,fill etc (If you can get it to bind properly in initial testing)
by a hydraulic powerpack and some proximity switches and chutes dropping product in and out.
The small pellets are a rotary process not a cyclic one and production output would be higher with them. Have less moving parts and components that are not as costly.

If you could lower pressures by using a non hazardous binder a natural product possibly that could be burnt it would lower electricity costs but you would have binder costs in additional to raw product.

Well thats some things to have a look at.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Registered-II

Here is a link to an article on making one. It doesn't make puck size but it may give you some ideas.
http://woodgears.ca/reader/alois/press.html
Old 07-28-2013, 11:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,201 Times in 604 Posts

Lignen is a by-product of paper mills, they sell it in those big plastic bulk containers for use of dirt roads, it helps bind the dirt to reduce dust. If the briquettes do not bind well enough with just water you might try finding a few gallons of lignen to see if it helps with binding.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:00 AM
Registered-II

Pallet mills do not use any binder and they put a lot of effort into getting the moisture content down to 8 to 10% before going through the mill. That is using pinus radiata sawdust. Its just pressure that binds the product.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:16 AM
Registered-II

They list another website as well

http://www.brikomat.com/english/index.htm

Looks like dusty bar is onto a good link with some tested ideas similar to the standard feed pellet mill in that it use the poisons effect and friction to compress the log.They have stated some issues with length of Stroke and frictional drag in the "die" as well which is good.

video of unit
http://www.brikomat.com/english/video.htm
I think the fellow has improved it by adding the log breaker, setting a run time, overload / empty condition limits,Nib at the end( good idea),Bin feeder and scrapers for the sawdust.

Has quite a wood shop too...
http://woodgears.ca/reader/alois/shop.html

Overall a very good link 5 stars..
The Following User Says Thank You to Alastair Geddes.:
Old 07-31-2013, 09:26 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Geddes. View Post
Has quite a wood shop too...
http://woodgears.ca/reader/alois/shop.html
Mathias writes a new article every Sunday. I've been watching the site for years. He has almost convinced me to try woodworking.