Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Coldwell cub

I picked up a Coldwell cub as my first old engine restore project it has it's bear :) and it now...

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 638 times

Old 07-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Registered

Default Coldwell cub

I picked up a Coldwell cub as my first old engine restore project
it has it's bear and it now runs after a little tinkering.
mine looks to be an early model. I would appreciate any information on this little engine and pictures of the throttle
setup if someone has any because i think it's missing off my engine. here is a short video from the day it came home.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steelspinner:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Coldwell cub

Very nice! I have heard of the Caldwell cubs but have never seen one. Let's hear that baby bear run!

Bigjoedo
Old 07-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,944 Times in 976 Posts

I don't know how much you can tell from this video. but here is mine running.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
The Following User Says Thank You to David M. Lyon:
Old 07-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Subscriber

I have two of them, both still on the mower. However the one needs engine work. The throttle is built on the mower. The gastank also mounted to the mower.
-Greg
Old 07-24-2013, 03:53 PM
Registered

thank you David. It sounds good is there any chance I could get you to take a picture of the throttle assembly behind the flywheel
so i can replicate it for mine. I think I have one of the very early models. mine has bronze valves for the oil fill level and the breather. I am guessing the line from the back of your engine
at the oil fill goes to the pump on the side? about how much oil and what type do these little engines take?

Wayne.

Bigjoedo I'll put up a video when i get it cleaned up and running right
Old 07-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Subscriber

So your missing the govornor? Thought you were talking about the throttle setup. I may have a spare governor.
-Greg
Old 07-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Registered

greg my engine is missing the little lever and slide assembly you see on davids engine behind the flywheel on the top right
not sure what all is not there I can take a picture of that area on mine if it will help. I am guessing that is the adjustment for the governor and flywheel weights.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Subscriber

The governor weights are built into the flywheel and are kind of hard to see without removing the starter cup, which is a normal right hand thread and probably on really tight. On the other side of the flywheel (towards the timing chest) are some springs that hold the governor flyweights in the retract position, and a slip ring moved by the flyweights that act on the lever that controls the carb. All of this stuff is very compact and tucked into the backside of the flywheel and is hard to see without pulling the flywheel, which is a press fit onto the crank. The lever itself is a frail little complicated casting and is also tucked tight against the timing chest. With luck, most of this stuff is still on your engine, because it is kind of hard to remove without going through a lot of work. I have two of these engines and one is all apart, waiting for me to get to welding one of the mounting feet back onto the crankcase (result of bad packing and shipping). If I knew how to, I would post pictures of the disassembled governor.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Registered

beezerbill

I have the weights minus one spring. the slip ring and carb lever are there. I'm planning on dissassembly anyway I have the tools
to do so including a 20 ton shop press so no worries on dis assembly. got the starter ring off already it's the lever and casting i'm missing.

Wayne
Old 07-26-2013, 12:16 AM
Subscriber

Steelspinner,

I don't think you will need a big press to get the flywheel off but a pretty big wheel puller will probably be needed. The mag on the other side is delicate so be careful pulling it off. The rest of the engine comes apart pretty easily. There may be shims under the rod cap. You will be impressed with what are used for main bearings in this lawn mower engine!

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

Oops! I forgot to mention - if there is a long extended shaft on the magneto side of the engine it actually unthreads from the end of the crank before you can get the mag off, and it is likely to be pretty tight. I made up a two-piece bolster to clamp tightly onto this shaft so that I could turn it free of the crank without damaging it. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2013, 12:31 AM
Subscriber

Why are you going to repaint it? It looks like a nice original to me New paint would only devalue it... Nice find!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:31 AM
Registered

beezerbill
got the mag side apart already thanks for the advice though. no shaft on this one. under the mag looks good though. going to need to replace that plug wire. I'm not sure i have a wheel puller big enough. I like the press it gives a better control over pull and pressure.

Tom S

if it had it's original paint i might not repaint it. but it's been painted at least 3 times in different shades of green Closest I can come to the original shade (first layer of paint) is oliver green. it's almost a hunter green and from what i can tell is the original shade of the mower. Kind of a catch 22 especially here in PA. not paint to keep original or paint it to keep rust and such from claiming more of the engine. since someone has already repainted originality is shot. So I opt to make it look good and keep our eternal enemy mr rust at bay.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steelspinner:
Old 07-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Registered

Default Update (cub has a few problems)

got further into a teardown someone has had the golden hammer into this engine. got a hole in the water hopper near the valve springs no big problem I can fix that. got a slightly bent intake valve I think i can straighten it using my lathe and indicators
or a set of v blocks probably a symptom of the bent valve is the back part of the valve guide is broken this worries me a bit
though the part that is in the block seems ok. are these guides replaceable? Push out and press in type I could easily make
new guides or are they part of the block and I have to try and save the old guide. Some goof also used a brass nail as a valve
pin that was fun to unbend and take out. on the up side the cylinder looks good. Head was packed with carbon but also looks good, valve seats look good a quick lap should set them in nicely. Need to get or make a big puller to get the flywheel off it won't fit in the press