Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Drag saw blades, would like few pics posted

If any one would be able to poste pics of dragsaw blades I would appreciate it. I know of two...

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 1478 times

Old 04-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Mac Leod

Default Drag saw blades, would like few pics posted

If any one would be able to poste pics of dragsaw blades I would appreciate it. I know of two blades that i think came off of a drag saw, a 5 footer and 7 footer. Please post pictures if you can.

thankyou

Mac Leod
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2004, 12:21 AM
Ken Majeski

Default Re: Drag saw blades, would like few pics posted

Well, Here's a link to a pic of a whole Drag Saw. They should be heavy blades with a couple holes in one end...

Threshing Bee Page 2
Old 04-03-2004, 09:13 AM
Mac Leod

Thanks Ken, same type of blade...now I need to find a drag saw

Mac Leod
Old 04-03-2004, 09:41 AM
Jim Tremble

Ken

Do you have any idea what the make of the saw is ???

Thanks,

Jim
Old 04-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Ken Majeski

Well my friend 2 miles down the road owns it. I am thinking it is a Howell made by RR Howell co of Minneapolis but I will try to check next time I see the guy...
Old 04-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Adam Cottrill

Hi Ken,

Wow!! Ive never seen a dragsaw like that before being belt driven and I guess what you'd call made to be a perminant fixture.

I assume something like that would be used at a saw mill for sizing logs before they where placed throught the rest of the milling process?

The 3 drag saws I have are all portable to which you can turn the wheels 90 degrees and work your way along the log. They are a Sentinal, New Record, and Ronaldson Bros and Tippet.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:24 PM
Adam Cottrill

Default New Record Drawsaw

Picture of my New Record Drawsaw.

Adams Engines
Old 04-03-2004, 08:45 PM
Ken Majeski

Well, These saws were mainly used to block up large trees for firewood that were to heavy to lift up to a Buzz Saw. You would set up one of these in the woods and drag your logs to it with Horsepower. In the winter you could just dump some water around it and you didn't even have to stake it down. I have seen Howell and Appleton versions. The saw part would remain stationary and you would advance the log with the carriage feed. On the Cheaper models there was a hand lever ratchet arangemant to advance the log. This one has power feed to run the notched rollers to bring the log forward. The portable ones ( Ottowa and Witte ) had wheels like yours that would turn 90 degrees and roll down along side the log. RR Howell Co also made sawmills and sawmill equipment.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Jim Tremble

Thanks Ken

I have to agree with Adam. That saw rig most definitely is a stationary setup. I have never seen or heard of a set up like that.

Jim
Old 04-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Mac Leod

Ken, That is a nice saw. How long is the blade on it? Did blades come much longer than 7 feet?

Mac Leod
Old 04-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Don C. Wiley

The Highland Illinois show has one like that and set it up every year, It may belong to the club that sponsers that show. They drive it with a small traction steam engine. It makes for a nice display.

I have a Ottawa log saw, 4 HP, with one flywheel. I have some literature some place around here, but my "dewey decimal" filing system isn't working very well and I can't find it. They tell about welding two of the five foot blades together and using them out West to block out the large trees they cut before hauling to the saw mill.

Those saws were just like mine except by then (50's maybe) they had a bigger Wisconsin single cylinder air cooled engine on them.

"That's my story,an' I'm stickin' to it."

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois
Old 04-03-2004, 09:12 PM
BobRR

Heres a pict. of the 6ft. blade for my vaughn. Ken that is a very neat rig. What does it have for power. I too have never seen one like that!BObRR

Old 04-03-2004, 09:18 PM
BobRR

Heres the saw.BobRR

Old 04-03-2004, 09:30 PM
BobRR

Here ya go Don. This one came off of a factory buzz saw rig.Tried to buy the whole thing but They mounted a electric start briggs on it and still use it. BobRR

Old 04-03-2004, 09:53 PM
Adam Cottrill

Hi Mac,

I'm going out on a limb here (forgive the pun)I'm assuming your trying to ID a saw back to an engine from me experiences the only way to do this to match the holes on the end of the saw where it attaches to the arm.

You will find 90% holes of these are identical between saw to saw. The length of the saw I believe, could be; with in reason what ever you desired depending on what you where cutting.

This also applies to the number to teeth, the teeth set and the depth of the teeth on the blade. What types of woods went with what set up of blade im not sure but naturally it would be the difference between soft and hard woods, maybe someone else can help here.

I got the blade of my dragsaw set and sharpened by a saw sharpener friend of mine. BIG MISTAKE!! he did that good of job the blade just glides through the log and in no time im setting up the log for another cut. In hindsight I should have left it blunt so it would take longer to get through the log whilst displaying it at rallys.

Ok im lazy! but I think it just looks alot better if it takes longer!
Old 04-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Mac Leod

The 6 footer has the same cut outs as my 7 footer...The 5 and seven foot blades were just given to me.

Mac Leod
Old 04-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Mac Leod

Adam,

My only goal was to find out wether or not the blades were from a drag saw or was it a cracked whipsaw. Now though I would like to know if any one knows how the end of the 7 foot blade, (the end unattached to the engine), would be split 2 ft in to the blade length wise???

Any and all ideas welcome

Mac Leod
Old 04-03-2004, 10:37 PM
Ken Majeski

When he has the saw here Mel Muhlhausen runs it with his 1/2 scale Case 65. Makes a Nice Display and gives the little engine something to do. John usually has his saw Super sharp. Thats why he makes such short pieces...

Also Ottowa did make a PTO version of their Drag Saw that would attach to a small farm tractor. Later Ottowa's used a Air Cooled Wisconsin engine also.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:27 PM
Dick Hamilton

One of our friends had a drag saw that he would bring to the county fair each year to demonstrate. He kept the saw on the dull side. That way the saw would go through the log slowly and not require too much work. After showing off our stuff at a week long asffair we all get kind of lazy and tired. Dick in the Snowy finger Lake region of NY.