Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

iron filler

Does anyone know what the black iron filler, that was under the paint of many engines, is made out...

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 674 times

Old 07-02-2000, 05:20 PM
Bill Hazzard

Default iron filler

Does anyone know what the black iron filler, that was under the paint of many engines, is made out of?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2000, 06:22 PM
Paul

Default Re: iron filler

I believe the filler used in olden times was made from a mix of fine sand, limestone, maybe some clay for spreadability and water glass solution (sodium silicate) The water glass, as it dries and/or reacts with the filler, bonds the grain together and also sticks to the iron. I restored several engines with this schtuff on it and on occasion, found bits of iron, copper filings and other floor sweepings mixed in. Once you paint over it, it is there for the duration. One 100 year old flywheel I worked on took me several hours and 4 grinder wheels to get it off. About 75% of the original material was there and this old girl sat out for who knows how long. The water glass has an affinity for cast iron and forms a chemical and physical bond.
Old 07-05-2000, 07:28 PM
Bill Hazzard

Default Re: iron filler

Thanks for the info!