Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Tractors - Old Iron Lugs, Cleats and Tracks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Tractors - Old Iron Lugs, Cleats and Tracks Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron.

Antique Tractors - Old Iron Lugs, Cleats and Tracks

1936 TD-40 McCormick-Deering TracTracTor

Son Mike and I went plowing with our 1936 TD-40 and a McCormick-Deering four bottom plow this past...

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 3199 times

Old 09-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,000 Times in 1,534 Posts
Default 1936 TD-40 McCormick-Deering TracTracTor

Son Mike and I went plowing with our 1936 TD-40 and a McCormick-Deering four bottom plow this past Monday... that is until a 77 year old diesel return line, just out of warranty?, decided to start leaking. I have it fixed as of yesterday.

I lack in some areas of this technology, so I may have to go back and change things to get the videos here? Sorry for any inconvenience.

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/20_...acTor.mp4.html

Mike was plowing in this picture.

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/20_...16-13.mp4.html

This is one of four TD-40s I grew up with as a kid near Lewistown, Montana. My cousins now own the other three, but I got the good one! I first started one of these at age 10, so Dad let me go plowing with it the next spring. Big stuff for a still 10-year old! Gary
Attached Thumbnails
TD-40 & Mike with house & shop 9-16-13 red.jpg   TD-40, smoke, close, Mike plowing 9-16-13 red.jpg  
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: 1936 TD-40 McCormick-Deering TracTracTor

That left side curtain is a very rare piece. You hardly ever see them for a 45 degree head field change attachment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Best:
Old 09-18-2013, 11:07 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Best View Post
That left side curtain is a very rare piece. You hardly ever see them for a 45 degree head field change attachment.
Okay, Eric Best! You got me on this one. I realized it no longer has the early head, but I didn't know the air cleaner had to be moved, requiring a different side curtain for it??!! The curtain on the right is the crawler color and has remnants of the early "horizontal" DIESEL decal. The left curtain is in red primer and has never been painted the engine color. I am so pleased to learn that! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! And that's the reason the air cleaner is in a more central location, and had that casting around the air cleaner, over the hood, on this factory cut of mine... I'd always just thought this cut was of an early prototype. Thanks again Eric! I guess although I grew up using them (we had four TD-40s) I neglected to study and figure out the differences, although we had one of the old flat heads under a workbench at the homestead years ago.
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
TD-40 Diesel, note ''Diesel'' decal placement2.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler:
Old 09-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Registered-II

A friend of mine has a thread on the restoration of one of these on the Red Power website.

http://www.redpowermagazine.com/foru...howtopic=59358

He isn't done yet I believe but wow the detail.
The Following User Says Thank You to ihredo4:
Old 09-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihredo4 View Post
A friend of mine has a thread on the restoration of one of these on the Red Power website.

http://www.redpowermagazine.com/foru...howtopic=59358

He isn't done yet I believe but wow the detail.
ihredo4,
Thanks for putting that link to Red Power. They're certainly doing a fine job of building that TD-40. I noticed they're upgrading their pump. I've been inside the early ones. They're not "fun" to work on, but not impossible for "farm kids" like me either.

This TD-40 of mine was uncle Audies unit. He rebuilt it from crank to pto shaft in the fall of 1950 and spring 51, but all parts didn't arrive in time for him to get it back together in time to do his field work. He bought a 1951 WD9 with 24.5X32" "fat donut" tires and a MacDonald cab and consequently never went back to the field with the TD-40 until a spring in the early 1960s when it was a terribly wet spring. He used it about 3-1/2 days pulling a 18' #55 IH chisel plow with a ratchet hydraulic cylinder replacement. Other than that, the rebuild is still there. Thank you again for the link to RP. Gary, aka, Old Binder Guy, aka, 20 Reeves Highwheeler

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

These are the other three TD-40 TracTracTors we had on the farm near Lewistown, Montana. Dad was straightening out Beaver Creek and "got in a little over his head" with his dozer unit in 1951. I took the picture with my big brother Bill's Brownie Hawkeye camera. He's in the seat of the stuck "40", cousin Bob in the next "40" and Uncle Bill in his "40" while Dad watches. They're all gone, but the TD-40s remain on my cousin's ranch near there. When I took the picture, I knew it was "a photo" needing taken, but I didn't realize what another 60 years would do for it historically. Gary
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler:
Old 10-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Registered

What great history, thank you.

Louie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to louie figone:
Old 10-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 2,820 Times in 459 Posts

I have always loved mud stuck pictures and have run several in "The Attic" over the years. One of my favorites came from Mike Tyler in Moore which shows one of his Cats buried over the tracks in a slough. He was taking a shortcut home one night and buried it good. I think he said Max brought out one of their Cat 60's to pull it out. It was eventually yanked out but not without a lot of sweat. Mike said the worst part of the incident was that it was right next to the main road so everyone had great fun talking about the buried Cat. Ed B
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Bezanson:
Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Reeves Highwheeler View Post
Okay, Eric Best! You got me on this one. I realized it no longer has the early head, but I didn't know the air cleaner had to be moved, requiring a different side curtain for it??!! The curtain on the right is the crawler color and has remnants of the early "horizontal" DIESEL decal. The left curtain is in red primer and has never been painted the engine color. I am so pleased to learn that! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! And that's the reason the air cleaner is in a more central location, and had that casting around the air cleaner, over the hood, on this factory cut of mine... I'd always just thought this cut was of an early prototype. Thanks again Eric! I guess although I grew up using them (we had four TD-40s) I neglected to study and figure out the differences, although we had one of the old flat heads under a workbench at the homestead years ago.
Gary
Gary, any possibility you could get some pictures of your hood sheet for me? I have one that has been converted also and has the air cleaner moved out. Strange thing is my machine serial number actually falls within the range of what should have been a factory 45 degree head. I have a set of hood sheets, but they are for machines with the air cleaner inside the edge of the hood line. I was told by AHinkle on RPB that the late style fuel tanks that are strapless will have the hardware to move the air cleaner back inside the edge of the hood line. Id like to not cut on a set of nice original hood sheets if I can help it but finding the late fuel tank and brackets I need are probably going to be a bear too

Thanks for the pics and the story. Always love to hear what you have to say!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Old-F20:
Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Bezanson View Post
I have always loved mud stuck pictures and have run several in "The Attic" over the years. One of my favorites came from Mike Tyler in Moore which shows one of his Cats buried over the tracks in a slough. He was taking a shortcut home one night and buried it good. I think he said Max brought out one of their Cat 60's to pull it out. It was eventually yanked out but not without a lot of sweat. Mike said the worst part of the incident was that it was right next to the main road so everyone had great fun talking about the buried Cat. Ed B
Ed,
I may not be thinking about the "same stuck" time at the Tyler's? But the local pastor stopped by to give directions to getting the stuck in the mud Cat out. Max wasn't real patient with this "free advice" and I can't remember what Max said he said to the Rev. but it wasn't a real patient like comment, as Max reiterated how many times he'd been stuck in mud and how many times he got out.

I had a much "stuck in the mud" with a TD-18A 181 Series, but I was 40 miles from home and had no camera along. And in the 1970s, I wasn't carrying a cell phone with a camera. This time, I should have pulled the mufflers, air intake and pre-cleaner off, taken a spade and covered up the seat, as that is about all that was visible, then walked away. The dam spillway I was working on had been dry for probably 5 years after it had washed out. Like a dummy, I went below the dam in tall grass to chain the culvert to the bulldozer and take it back to the top of the dam and place it in the "V" I left for it. Bad mistake.... I ended up getting my cousin's TD-14 with dozer, cables with loops on each end, about 50' each in length. Then four chains, about two feet long, with grab hooks. I parked their TD-14 about 50 feet back, and buried the dozer as deep as I could, almost killing the engine. I took two of the short chains, hooked them to grousers and put them over the top of that dozer and down to the rear end of my TD-18A, where I hooked the chains through those loops (after much digging) and hooking them on my grousers, and proceeded to "back out" which took the chains and the cables down into the mud, but it walked out on those cables. Of course with ANY stuck crawler and dozer, breaking the suction of the dozer is the hard part. After that is broken, it happens faster. I hate even thinking about that situation. Gary
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler:
Old 10-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-F20 View Post
Gary, any possibility you could get some pictures of your hood sheet for me? I have one that has been converted also and has the air cleaner moved out. Strange thing is my machine serial number actually falls within the range of what should have been a factory 45 degree head. I have a set of hood sheets, but they are for machines with the air cleaner inside the edge of the hood line. I was told by AHinkle on RPB that the late style fuel tanks that are strapless will have the hardware to move the air cleaner back inside the edge of the hood line. Id like to not cut on a set of nice original hood sheets if I can help it but finding the late fuel tank and brackets I need are probably going to be a bear too

Thanks for the pics and the story. Always love to hear what you have to say!!
Old F-20,
I have the hood off and in the primer (as of yesterday) and I'll take pictures tomorrow of the hood, fuel tank, intake pipe, etc.
Gary
Old 11-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Subscriber

Our ol' April 1936 TD-40 TracTracTor took on a new look today. It turned out pretty well, considering it was 50 degrees out this afternoon around 3:PM. I had some FAST reducer that I used and it sure flowed nicely. I painted it out on the gravel in front of the shop apron.

I've had discussions on Facebook about whether these were actually gray, originally. This is the second one we owned that was gray. There used to be a gray, early TK-40 that set on a back street in Hobson, Montana. Carl Mehmke also had a TD-40 that had been gray and he repainted it gray. There is information that IHC paint committee, chose the T-20 TracTracTors RED, starting in 1931. It comes up on the IHC website. I had a T-20 at one time and it was red, plus I can't say that I've ever seen a gray one. But I still like to go by my 150 Years of International Harvester, and according to that, by November of 1936, gray went to IH Red.

I've had some deep, deep discussions about "IHC Gray". I'm plumb happy with the color, as I mixed it the way I wanted it and it is a close match to our 1935 F-12. I've seen the "dark, blue/gray" paint used in many of the IHC books in my library. I've also been told "that color" is too dark AND too blue. So discussion on the color I chose is done and closed.
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
TD-40, back in shop, Painted Gray 11-1-2013 red.jpg  
Old 11-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Registered-II

Color looks good to me Gary.
The Following User Says Thank You to ihredo4:
Old 11-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Subscriber

Gary, apparently someone got their hands on the real stuff 2 gallons from the 30's

Have Fun
Kevin

http://www.mccormick-deering.com/doc...1063-Imron.pdf

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Here's the story of the search for the elusive color code.
TD40 is lookin great!!

Kevin

http://www.mccormick-deering.com/welcome.html
The Following User Says Thank You to KevinGWeq:
Old 11-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINGWEQ View Post
Gary, apparently someone got their hands on the real stuff 2 gallons from the 30's

Have Fun
Kevin

http://www.mccormick-deering.com/doc...1063-Imron.pdf

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Here's the story of the search for the elusive color code.
TD40 is lookin great!!

Kevin

http://www.mccormick-deering.com/welcome.html
Kevin,
Thanks I'm glad you like it. The guys put this up over on Red Power where I'd been in discussion of "IHC GRAY" paint. Hopefully the "find" on that auction site will "drain the swamp" as to what really existed for IHC Gray? I'm anxious to see, but I'm not anxious enough to repaint the TD-40 again!!

I put a picture of my 1935 McCormick-Deering Farmall F-12 on and it was painted by the former owner. His dad, Fred Bourke, sold the tractor brand new to a rancher near Grass Range, Montana. His son was John Bourke, whom I worked for a couple of different times (First time included the day JFK was assassinated in Dallas and the last time was in 1974 & 75), took the F-12 back in on trade on a new IH swather in the mid-1960s.

John was always the painter for his Bourke Motor & Implement Company in Lewistown, Montana. He painted the TD-40 of mine red, twice, after two different overhauls; the first during WWII when Myron Gregory owned it, and the second when uncle Audie rebuilt it again, from "crank to PTO" in 1950. John told me he had repainted many old gray IHC tractors "RED - like the new ones!"

This lovely old F-12 below was one John rebuilt and repainted to place with his new IH equipment at the Central Montana Fair, each year. I've always figured, he knew what IHC gray was and used it on his F-12? I even got to help get it started in the warehouse, haul it to the fairgrounds and all of that in reverse after the fair. I really cherish owning John's F-12 as I can't remember when he wasn't around. He was very meticulous and restored quite a few antique automobiles to showroom condition. That' how he repainted tractors as well.

Again, I'm glad you liked my paint job, Kevin. Tomorrow, I'll put her back together and hopefully get the decals on.
Gary

PS: fluorescent lights, sunlight, and camera flash change the color of gray very easily. This F-12 is nearly identical to my TD-40's gray color. The F-12 is a pretty dark shed.
Attached Thumbnails
McCormick-Deering F-12 & TD-40 10-17-2013.jpg  
Old 11-05-2013, 12:05 AM
Subscriber

I Got the TD-40 back together and the decals on today; backed it out of the shop and put it around in the shed for the winter. The first picture is of the F-12 and the TD-40 set for the winter. The "dust gremlins" were still midair, it's obvious, after I backed it in and raked the gravel back into place.

The other three show the TD-40 out in sunlight. I took the liberty of putting the DIESEL decal on the lower engine panels, as I don't plan on using the side curtains any longer. They'll hang on the shed wall, like all of my dad's did with the other three TD-40s we farmed with.

I see things I wish I'd done different, but I'm still very happy with how it turned out. Gary
Attached Thumbnails
F-12 & TD-40 11-4-2013 red.jpg   TD-40 new paint backing outside.jpg   TD-40 out in the sun 11-4-13.jpg   TD-40 going to shed from shop and painting.jpg  
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler:
Old 11-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,245 Times in 674 Posts

Nice job, Gary. Nice shop too, BTW!
Old 11-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronm View Post
Nice job, Gary. Nice shop too, BTW!
Thanks Ron. The shop is son Mike's. I just get to work there... and play there in retirement! I have to pick up behind myself occasionally, though. My next trip out, I have lots of things to put away that I used for this TD-40 project.

He's been real good to me. He gave me space on the balcony or mezzanine wall to put some of my old tools, I "brung" to his shop here at Helena from my lifetime and many from the old homestead I was raised on near Lewistown. He knows he'll get to play with my stuff after I'm gone too.

The little room is one he "gave" me and it is ever cluttered, now. The oak plywood board was there in construction (as a removal panel for the shower and urinal, in case of trouble) and looked like a fine place to put some of my more machinist or blacksmith type stuff. The last photo shows it with my junk lathe and mill, but not the junk I've added since. It's my own little corner of the shop. There might be a few Model T tools in there as well.

I know this is all off subject of lugs, cleats and tracks, but I had to show my little corner of Mike's shop. Gary

PS: His latest sign... "Due to the high cost of ammunition, we no longer fire warning shots." His place is used by a retired Montana Highway Patrol Chief and Armorer (Mike's cousin) as a training base and range shooting.... just in case we have a gremlin in the audience. I really appreciate having a place to shoot, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Shop Tool board north (wood).jpg   shop Tool wall south, (mechanic).jpg   Shop, metal tool board complete.jpg   Shop tool room, lathe, mill 4-25-13 red.jpg  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler:
Old 11-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,245 Times in 674 Posts

Looks like it was well worth it for him to "let" you bring your stuff in!
The Following User Says Thank You to ronm:
Old 11-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Subscriber

Wow, paint job looks great! I have liked that one since you posted it in red; such a nice original with family history.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brasherman:
Old 11-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronm View Post
Looks like it was well worth it for him to "let" you bring your stuff in!
Yep, ronm,
He doesn't charge me rent. He can't "fire" me. He may be tempted to "sell" me at times though? And yes, it's been very beneficial to both of us. Gary