Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Snap-On Coil tester

I've seen a few of these on eBay, Id like something to check mag components but don't have the...

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1418 times

Old 09-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Registered-I

Default Snap-On Coil tester

I've seen a few of these on eBay, Id like something to check mag components but don't have the extra funds for a merc-tronic or the like. Has anyone had any experiences with one of these good/bad?
Attached Thumbnails
$(KGrHqR,!nYFHh0ojmyiBR-9Vnt8hw~~60_12.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Snap-On Coil tester

Those type have been made by some other companies over the years and they most likely made that one for Snap On putting their name it. Never seen them come with test specs for magneto coils they were made mostly for battery ignition automotive type coils. Never used one like that for mags so don't know how well it would it work if at all other than just continuity & firing tests. Another affordable magneto coil & condenser tester to watch for is Graham Lee model 31. It does good coil tests a firing gap test with specs in booklet can still get. It only does leakage test for condensers and doesn't do capacity readings or series resistance tests like the Graham Lee 51 does. New model 31 testers were still made into the 1990s with modern electronics less the old tube type electronics. A early 31 has the tube type stuff in it has to warm up a bit before using.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Subscriber

I have used the Graham-Lee 31 for 25+years. They are hard to beat. The Snap-On in your picture may do the same thing but I'm not familiar with it. If the price is right take a chance on it.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Registered-III

The Graham Lee & Mercotronic testers can still be serviced too while others there is nothing for service or parts for them today. Some other company bought out King testers but I think they dropped the coil condenser tester not making it anymore either. Another Graham Lee tester to watch for is the 31-SMX-H with built in model 33 CD-3 charging pack & high trigger switching. It was made for testing capacitive discharge ignitions and you might find it from a old motocycle, small engine or boat motor shop going out.

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Another good coil & condenser tester I have seen you might find military surplus or wherever was made by Sun but I don't have a model number for it. Again Sun was bought out by Snap On years ago & they discontinued all Sun products & service to just weed out the competition a big mistake on their part I always thought. Some good used Sun VAT 40 battery, alternator, starter testers with analog gauges will bring more today than the near new digital tester that has already failed several times and not reliable. The Sun testers like the VAT 40 are reliable and can get aftermarket service parts for them today yet.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Subscriber

Dempster, I've got a Graham Lee 51 and I'm trying to get it repaired. Do you have or know where I can get a parts list or schematic? The coil test function lost power.
Thanks, Bud
Old 09-25-2013, 12:20 AM
Registered-III

Budd, I hope she is still servicing the Graham Lee testers I got a spare 51 needs done again and my other one is messing up again. My 31 tester I bought new in 1990s it's never needed anything done to it. They hadn't been making new ones in long time but the company owner's daughter Teresa was working on them part time in her basement. She had a booklet they supplied with instructions, test specs and schematics and the tube replacement numbers. This is last contact info I had from her.

Graham Lee Electronics
11142 Grover Ave. SW
Howard Lake, MN 55349

phone 320-485-4526
The Following User Says Thank You to Dempster: