Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Unidentified Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Unidentified Engines Post your photos and questions about your unknown engine and look for answers here.

Unidentified Engines

Unidentified Flywheel Gas Motor

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 1136 times

Old 09-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Unidentified Flywheel Gas Motor

Hopefully the Picture will show up. My Husband and I obtained this motor and know nothing about the type etc. The only thing that we was told is the gentleman found it at a sale and it didn't have a magneto so he improvised it now has a coil and a small battery in the box beneath it. It looks like a hit and miss but it doesn't sound like one when it runs. Any information you might can give us would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Subscriber

Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: Unidentified Flywheel Gas Motor

Looks like someone made it up from a Briggs and Stratton and other parts.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:37 PM
Registered-III

Liked 371 Times in 205 Posts

Cobble job, a nice one at that.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

OK so it is not just one type of motor I guess? I forgot to get a pic of the other side but it does have another flywheel that looks like the one on the right. Of course it cranks this way also. So does it look mostly like a briggs and how old do you think it is. It runs great. I hate that it is a mis match
Old 09-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Sponsor

Liked 3,871 Times in 2,497 Posts
Exclamation Re: Unidentified Flywheel Gas Motor

Looks like a Briggs & Stratton 5-S that has had its gas tank removed and a jar installed. The original backing plate has been cut down, shrouding and flywheel are also goneThe flywheeels are valve handles. With 2 heavy wheels, should run nice and slow, but don't run for long, without the cooling, the cylinder will get pretty hot! Nice find, should be an attention getter at shows!
Andrew
Old 09-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yes it runs real slow and is strictly air cooled The muffler doesn't even really heat up. Now granted we have only ran it for like 5 mins at a time. Any idea what it may have been used for and how to get an age on it? It doesn't have any identification on it anywhere. Thanks for helping everyone.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:32 PM
Registered-II

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Yes it should run nice and slow ------ and no more ! From the pic we cannot see the govener if there is one or how the carb is set up ! If that flywheel is subjected to any real speed at all it could fracture and blow up. I will add that I dont think it is a real flywheel at that but a (?) hand wheel that isnt desined to spin at speed at all . Originally that motor could run over 1000 rpm easy -- now it wont without killing some body .
I am sure the person that built this knew this and intended to keep it safe and knew how -- however if a person who didnt know or a kid at a show grabed the throttle and reved it up to hear what it sounded like it could turn out very bad . Just my two cents!
Old 09-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Registered-II

Liked 256 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyndyna View Post
Any idea what it may have been used for and how to get an age on it? It doesn't have any identification on it anywhere. Thanks for helping everyone.
It was built as someone's toy, so it's purpose was entertainment. Think of it as a model car. People build model cars because they like to. They take parts and assemble them for entertainment. This engine is the same. Someone built it because they liked to build things.
The model 5S Briggs engine that this was constructed out of was built between 1949 and 1957. The identification would have been on part of the shroud that has been removed.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Subscriber

Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Looks like a Briggs 5S, common lawn mower engine from the 50's, that has been modified into a show piece. In its present form a show piece is its only purpose.

Be very careful when running it - those flywheels are not right. The one in the picture looks like it has a balance weight (thick section on the rim) which looks too big for the balance factor this engine needs. Not sure it is even in the right place. I would not go over about 120 RPM with it the way it is - or better, don't run it at all. If indeed the flywheels were originally hand wheels they don't likely have the strength to serve as true flywheels. If they don't break outright they are likely to tear the engine apart at speed from imbalance loads. Sorry about the negative input but better to be safe than sorry.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Sponsor

Liked 3,871 Times in 2,497 Posts
Exclamation Re: Unidentified Flywheel Gas Motor

From the looks of it, the flywheel pictured came off an industrial sewing machine. As the B&S engines are internally balanced, your engine might hop around a bit if revved up, with that counterweight. The original airvane governor was removed along with the magneto mount, when the bearing plate was machined to its present configuration. The originnal purpose of the B&S 5-S was to power small equipment like a reel type lawn mower. As is, your engine is for entertainment only - it is a show piece.
Andrew
Old 09-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Registered-I

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

I have seen a similar engine on YouTube.
Here is the link to the series
this engine is a hit and miss engine though...
Homemade hit and miss briggs project
TekNik
Old 09-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Subscriber

Liked 952 Times in 302 Posts

Here's another thought, using that glass jar as a gas tank is a real fire danger. Maytag found that out years ago when there
upright washer started house fire's when the glass jar broke
and spilled gas on the hot motor!