Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Multi-Cylinder Stationary Engines and Power Units
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Multi-Cylinder Stationary Engines and Power Units Waukesha, Buda, Climax, LeRoi and others.

Multi-Cylinder Stationary Engines and Power Units

Continental F226 to F162

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1195 times

Old 10-06-2013, 10:18 PM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Continental F226 to F162

I have a Continental F226 six cylinder powertrain which includes engine; bellhousing; Funk reverser; and Warner transmission, as originally used on a circa 1955 Jaeger transit mixer. I would like to retain the complete drivetrain, but replace the (bad) engine with a four cylinder F162. (I don't have the 4 cyl. - am looking for one of a similar vintage). Would it be possible to bolt up the bellhousing without adaptation? The drilling at the back of the 6 cyl. block is 2 (close together at the top); 1 center; and 2 (wide) at the lowest point - or 5 bolts altogether. The starter opening of the existing bellhousing is at the top left as viewed from the rear.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Registered-III

Liked 421 Times in 369 Posts
Default Re: Continental F226 to F162

Should be able to find parts for the F226 or similar F227 engines they were used on many things. I know there could soon be many of those engines available if some decide to convert their Lincoln welders that have those engines to new or newer diesel engines. The F162 or similar F163 can find easily too they were used in many forklifts, Massey Harris & other tractors, Lincoln, Hobart, & Miller welders and many other applications. We can still get parts & many of the F162 & F163 go back in Lincoln SA200 welders today yet. Some are going to be converted or have been already with Yanmar, Perkins or new Kohler/Landini diesels so that is a option for you as well. Some Thermo King & other refrigerated truck trailers used the Yanmar diesels and can be found reasonable at times off wrecked trailers. There are different SAE size bellhousings & clutch units probably easiest to find another engine like you have to match it if want to keep drive same not having to modify it. Front plates & rear mounts are different depending on what the Continental engine was used for. You can find manuals that list front plates and overhaul, parts & specs on Continental flathead engines by downloading the free manuals for L-Head engines at Wisconsin Motors site. I saw a Jaeger mixer at a auction while back but didn't pay any attention to how it was driven or set up.

http://www.wisconsinmotors.com/part_catalog/continental

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

There is F226 remanufactured short block on ebay along with many other F226 parts. Many online vendors for parts can be found. One of the best I didn't mention who has a wealth of knowledge on Continental engines to help you is Montes Equipment.

http://www.montesequipment.com/
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 10-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Registered-II

Liked 105 Times in 89 Posts

supposed to be same bolting in série F.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 10-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Subscriber

Liked 54 Times in 18 Posts

The thing to watch on Continentals, at least from forklifts, is the crank flange. I know from experience that Whites, Clarks, and Yales are different and if I remember correctly, even between clutch and torque converter models. Front covers were different also but easily changed.
David