Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

The Pacific Pumper

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 4677 times

Old 05-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Andrew Mackey

Default The Pacific Pumper

Does anyone have information on Pacific Marine Supply Fire Pumps? I own 2 units, They are marked 'The Pacific Pumper - Pacfic Marine Supply Seattle Washington. One has the ratings- 9.8HP @ 4,000 RPM, 60 GPM @ 100 PSI @ 3 foot lift. The manufacturing date is 1939, the second is a model NY, same specs, with a pump mounted foam eductor - foe fighting liquid fuel fires. This pump has a stamping inside the engine flywheel stating ' Accepted by the Navy Dept. Nov.11 1941. I was told that these pumps were used by the navy to fight on board ship's fires. These units have different engines, and I was told that the engines were built by Evinrude and Johnson. Any information would be of great help. Thanks in advance for your help. Andrew
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Joe McDuff

Default Re: The Pacific Pumper

Are these pump units possibly known in the old US Navy as Handie Billies?

Jose
Old 05-03-2004, 01:51 AM
Andrew Mackey

It's possible, that the were. The units are mounted on an aluminum base, with a steel protective cage, that allows the units to be stack-able for storage. The engines are cooled with water pumped thru the unit. The cooling water,after cooling the engine, is then exhausted into the engine exhaust stream at the manifold, thus also cooling the exhaust and assisting in engine scavinging. The water and exhaust gasses then go into the base, which acts as a muffler, and then exit the base thru a 1 1/2" threaded port. If the pump is on deck, it can be run with this port open, if below deck, a 1 1/2" fire hose is attached, and the water and exhaust are routed to the exterior of the ship, so as not to expose the ship interior to smoke and oily water from the engine. Both units use a 12:1 fuelil mixture. Its great fun to take them to a show in the summertime. These engines are 2 cylinder twins, and are real screamers under load. I usually run them off a 35 gallon barrel of water. After recirculating for a few minutes, I send the water skyward. The barrel empties in about 20 seconds, I kill the engine, and about another 30 seconds later, the water makes it back to earth, in total silence. For the people who watch the demonstration, there are a lot of comments on how fast the engines run, and pump, and how high the water goes after leaving the 3/4" smooth bore fire tip I use on the hose. All the others look up and wonder where all the water is coming from as it comes down! I have heard that the engines used on these pumps were often removed and were then used in racing boats in the late '40s and into '50s. Both the 'Y' and 'NY' units use the same direct drive pumps, that internally look like a ROOTS type blower. They have massive drive gears at both ends of the pump, to link the impellers The engines are different, however,most of the hardware is the same. Both engines utilize the same carburetor, as well. Again, any info will be appreciated. If I can get my computer to co-operate, I will try to post pictures later. Andrew
Old 05-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Kid Dynamo

I have a couple of these units, although I'm missing the sparkplug cover and original pressure gauge on both. They are packed away so I can't see the model number- its probably either Y or NY.

There are quite a few of them out here in Washington State and I've heard that a lot of them were used in the logging industry.

I read an "Antique Outboard" club magazine that showed numerous Pacific Pumpers, some based on Johnson and some on Evinrude outboard powerheads. An aquaintance of mine recently bought and refurbished a pump that is based on an old knuckle-buster Evinrude. It looks a bit like an outboard with a piperail frame, but instead of a gearbox and propeller, it has a thin profile centrifugal water pump that's about 12" in diameter. I'm not sure if it is a Pacific.

My N or NY pumps say Pacific Pumper on them and I think Pacific Marine- Schwabacher. Schwabacher Hardware was one of Seattle's oldest hardware companies, going back to the 1890's. There is still a building downtown, by the waterfront that has the Schwabacher brass nameplate on it, although I think the company is gone or morphed away.

My pumpers have engines that are essentially 1941 Johnson Model K 9.9 hp powerheads. They are turned on their sides and have the base and exhaust castings that you describe. If you compare them to the 1941 Johnson K 9.9, there are very few things on the engine that are not from the outboard. It makes sense- it was a lightweight and high output engine- just what you need to motivate a portable waterpump.

As a kid, a neighbor who lived on Lake Washington had a Pacific Pumper and we always enjoyed when he would fire it up! He sucked from the lake for unlimited water and could knock us kids off our feet as we cavorted around the drenched lawn. He had a combination nozzle that he could vary the discharge pattern and he is a smart guy so we all had fun and nobody ever got hurt. One of his grown sons still has his pump and he said I could have it for $10. The son lives on the water now and I don't want to deny the greatgrandkids the possibility of similar fun, so I never went and got it.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:42 PM
skip landis

i have one of these units that is a 4 cylinder. basicly 2 twins put together. there was an article in gem a while back about them. skip in nw montana
Old 05-05-2004, 05:35 PM
mick5726

I am a retired NYS Forest Ranger and we used them up until the late 60s. There were the type Y and the type A which was munch smaller than the Y. The Y was a bit heavy to backpack back in the woods to fight fires along with hose tools and suction hose.