Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

850 H.P. vs 18 H.P.


this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 2138 times

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Fred Van Hook's Avatar
Fred Van Hook Fred Van Hook is online now
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 2,440
Thanks: 2,487
Thanked 8,373 Times in 1,338 Posts
Images: 401
Photo 850 H.P. vs 18 H.P.

This might have been on here before but it worth another look. The steamer does have a hitch height advantage.

__________________
A Atheist will never be able to say, "I told you so!!"

More engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fred Van Hook:
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-05-2013, 03:48 PM
LAKnox LAKnox is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chandler, Arizona USA
Posts: 591
Thanks: 26
Thanked 179 Times in 115 Posts
Default Re: 850 H.P. vs 18 H.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Van Hook View Post
This might have been on here before but it worth another look. The steamer does have a hitch height advantage.
As well as not using 4wd. The steamer =still= would have pulled the JD down the track, just not as easily. ;-)

Lyle
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-05-2013, 04:34 PM
DavidnClare DavidnClare is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Shropshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 49
Thanks: 21
Thanked 53 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: 850 H.P. vs 18 H.P.

How embarrassing would it have been it they had put a decent British engine against it, LOL.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Alan Rudd Alan Rudd is offline
Registered-III
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vero Beach, Florida USA
Posts: 500
Thanks: 3,631
Thanked 709 Times in 256 Posts
Images: 19
Default Re: 850 H.P. vs 18 H.P.

No need for a crash helmet on the traction engine...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Peter Peter is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 2,397
Thanks: 695
Thanked 1,044 Times in 472 Posts
Default Re: 850 H.P. vs 18 H.P.

Quote:
As well as not using 4wd
A person looses his credibility fast when he cheats like this. Its a shame with all the miss info on the web, now more BS piled on top.

When the Reeves 32 pulled the CAT D6, I hope that was no fake.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:43 PM
wagswitte wagswitte is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montrose, Iowa
Posts: 534
Thanks: 305
Thanked 727 Times in 253 Posts
Default Re: 850 H.P. vs 18 H.P.

When you have something that out weighs and has more low end torque it's no problem.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Dale Miner Dale Miner is offline
Registered-II
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Southwest Oh 45014
Posts: 259
Thanks: 183
Thanked 392 Times in 159 Posts
Default Re: 850 H.P. vs 18 H.P.

At least nothing was broken during the pull.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Ed Sparks Ed Sparks is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bailey Island, Maine
Posts: 4,206
Thanks: 2,490
Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,797 Posts
Default Re: 850 H.P. vs 18 H.P.

must be a new type of JD plow
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ed Sparks:
  #9  
Old 11-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Pete LaBelle Pete LaBelle is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Holland, Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,020
Thanks: 0
Thanked 985 Times in 346 Posts
Default Re: 850 H.P. vs 18 H.P.

I agree there is an unfair hitch advantage, but do agree there is a big torque mis-match between the Deere & the steamer.....and it's fun to watch the Deere struggle, and listen to the giggle of the man near the camera.

Always wondered that if these big horsepower modified pullers were limited to about 3mph ground speed, how well they'd do NOT having that speed & momentum of the tractor/sled incorporated into their pull.

After all, a working farm tractor has to have a steady pull across the field, not short leaps & bounds.

Pete
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Dale Miner Dale Miner is offline
Registered-II
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Southwest Oh 45014
Posts: 259
Thanks: 183
Thanked 392 Times in 159 Posts
Default Re: 850 H.P. vs 18 H.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete LaBelle View Post
I agree there is an unfair hitch advantage, but do agree there is a big torque mis-match between the Deere & the steamer.....and it's fun to watch the Deere struggle, and listen to the giggle of the man near the camera.

Always wondered that if these big horsepower modified pullers were limited to about 3mph ground speed, how well they'd do NOT having that speed & momentum of the tractor/sled incorporated into their pull.

After all, a working farm tractor has to have a steady pull across the field, not short leaps & bounds.

Pete
I suspect that the modified pullers have more to do with gate attendance than the ability to roll corn stalks back under. The scream of a hemi or plume of an overfueled diesel is quite entertaining. Not to say that the stack music of a Case or even a double Keck isn't , but those with Steamitis are a much smaller bunch.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dale Miner:
  #11  
Old 11-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Allan Crook's Avatar
Allan Crook Allan Crook is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hope BC Canada
Posts: 229
Thanks: 332
Thanked 272 Times in 103 Posts
Default Re: 850 H.P. vs 18 H.P.

I maybe wrong but that sure looks like a Burrell....

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnclare View Post
How embarrassing would it have been it they had put a decent British engine against it, LOL.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Jeff Smith Jeff Smith is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Port St. Lucie, Florida USA
Posts: 3,726
Thanks: 3,867
Thanked 2,466 Times in 963 Posts
Default Re: 850 H.P. vs 18 H.P.

The steam engine always wins in my opinion........

Jeff
__________________
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-06-2013, 03:49 PM
DavidnClare DavidnClare is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Shropshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 49
Thanks: 21
Thanked 53 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: 850 H.P. vs 18 H.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Crook View Post
I maybe wrong but that sure looks like a Burrell....
It is a Burrell, however Burrells as like Marmite, I think in the US it is called Vegemite, sorry not US but Aus, you either love it or hate it.
Vegemite
I borrowed the link and that particular engine man owns a MacLaren,. enough said.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-06-2013, 04:02 PM
LAKnox LAKnox is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chandler, Arizona USA
Posts: 591
Thanks: 26
Thanked 179 Times in 115 Posts
Default Re: 850 H.P. vs 18 H.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
A person looses his credibility fast when he cheats like this. Its a shame with all the miss info on the web, now more BS piled on top.

When the Reeves 32 pulled the CAT D6, I hope that was no fake.
Why is that a cheat? It's a =much= smaller tractor and it was sold with 4wd, not added on later, so why not use it? Especially given the hitch disadvantage to the JD... I'll have to look up the Reeves vs D6 video. That sounds =neat=!

Lyle
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Beth V's Avatar
Beth V Beth V is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SE Michigan USA
Posts: 11,091
Thanks: 6,335
Thanked 9,758 Times in 3,109 Posts
Default Re: 850 H.P. vs 18 H.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
When the Reeves 32 pulled the CAT D6, I hope that was no fake.
Gary will correct me, but I believe the 32 Reeves pulled a D7 and the 25 Reeves pulled the D6.

Note that they were "old style" Cats, not even close to today's models.

At 235 RPM, they deliver a great deal of torque.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Peter Peter is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 2,397
Thanks: 695
Thanked 1,044 Times in 472 Posts
Default Re: 850 H.P. vs 18 H.P.

Quote:
Why is that a cheat? It's a =much= smaller tractor and it was sold with 4wd, not added on later, so why not use it?
He cheated because he disengaged the 4wd! He did not even try to use it. he also could have doubled the rear wheels and added a lot more weight. Might have end ed up the same way, but; we dont know.

I believe traction engines have pulled weight sleds. That is a pretty unbiased test. if anyone care to relate those results. I dont know and either way does not effect my respect for the old machines.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-06-2013, 10:33 PM
oldtractors's Avatar
oldtractors oldtractors is offline
Email NOT Working
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Iowa Falls, Iowa USA
Posts: 1,353
Thanks: 1,383
Thanked 1,634 Times in 647 Posts
Images: 5
Default Re: 850 H.P. vs 18 H.P.

You guys should look again. The tractor appears to be some sort of superstock puller. it has a V8 engine and might be a 6000 series Deere rear end with an 8000 hood on it. I doubt that it even has MFWD, and is probably just has the tires on for looks. From the looks of it, I would guess the tractor weighs less than 10,000 lbs.

Weight is everything. If he ballasted the tractor up to weigh the same as the steam engine, he could probably out pull it. However, it is very likely he would break something on the tractor before he pulled it very far.
__________________
Jim Evans
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldtractors:
  #18  
Old 11-06-2013, 11:23 PM
cyberbadger cyberbadger is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,101
Thanks: 957
Thanked 1,081 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: 850 H.P. vs 18 H.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtractors View Post
You guys should look again. The tractor appears to be some sort of superstock puller. it has a V8 engine and might be a 6000 series Deere rear end with an 8000 hood on it. I doubt that it even has MFWD, and is probably just has the tires on for looks. From the looks of it, I would guess the tractor weighs less than 10,000 lbs.

Weight is everything. If he ballasted the tractor up to weigh the same as the steam engine, he could probably out pull it. However, it is very likely he would break something on the tractor before he pulled it very far.
I like this explanation.

I think it is really hard to properly compare internal combustion engines to external combustion engines.

Tractive effort and weight aside...

You can pick criteria or rules to make an IC win, or an OC win.

They are different beasts.

It's like trying to compare a polar bear to a cheetah.

-CB
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cyberbadger:
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

F o r u m Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:28 AM.

Smokstak and Enginads site search!


All use is subject to our TERMS OF SERVICE
SMOKSTAK® is a Registered Trade Mark
A Community of Antique Engine Enthusiasts
Copyright © 2000 - 2014 by Harry Matthews
P.O. Box 5612 - Sarasota, FL 34277