Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 35EK coolant heater?

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 888 times

Old 11-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Registered-II

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Default Onan 35EK coolant heater?

First, the particulars: Model is 35EK, serial # is A970627734, the Spec is 86116D.

There's a little black thing that has two hoses connecting it to the motor, and wires for 120v connection. As far as I can tell it's some kind of coolant heater, but it appears not to be working. I thought that there might be a thermostatic switch in there, but we were down below 30 degrees F a few days back and it still didn't draw any power.

I've looked through the EK-EM Parts manual (928-0220) and I can't find anything that looks like this and I was wondering if anyone know about it.

I can take pictures tomorrow, if that will help any.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2013, 11:59 PM
Subscriber

Liked 1,039 Times in 819 Posts
Default Re: Onan 35EK coolant heater?

It might be a factory option, or may be an aftermarket coolant heater, either way I suspect it is broken. If you need a coolant heater there are many on the market starting at prices around $25 and going up into the hundreds of dollars, Kim Start is one of the better brand names, Katz also makes cheaper basic units.

Ike
Old 11-10-2013, 01:02 AM
Registered-III

Liked 975 Times in 538 Posts

Black plastic body heater is a Kim HotStart "TPS" series heater. They are thermostatically controlled; thermostat is under the bottom cover. Remove the power, unbolt heater, flip over, and remove the small Phillips screw to access the electrical connections. The heater element on these almost never burns out unless you've ran dry on coolant. Thermostat usually either sticks closed when they get old, short-cycle, or quit altogether.

Unfortunately, when the stick on, the associated heat usually burns up the wiring and the thermostat eventually overheats and burns apart. Thermostats are available. Find out who deals with Kim Hotstart in your area. NAPA often times can get their stuff. The thermostats are cheap; the heaters are not. They are over $100, as they are a commercial-rated item, for continuous application.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 11-10-2013, 02:25 AM
Registered-III

Liked 815 Times in 513 Posts

Here is the part #'s for the standard heaters:

http://www.hotstart.com/home/product...-part-numbers/

keep in mind these are the basics, they have additional part numbers for different length cordsets, remote thermostats, etc. You can get all the repair parts for these if you want to fix it and save some money.

yours is probably a TPS151GT8-000, or can be replaced quite effectively by that one, which is 120v, 1500w, 80 degree on 100 off. It needs to be plugged into a 120v outlet fed by it's own (typically 20 amp, no less then 15) breaker, it can share with the battery charger, but absolutely nothing else. Some EK/EM sets run the coolant heater power through an oil pressure switch, so that they cut off when the engine is running, but that's not super critical because as soon as the coolant hits 100 degrees the heater will shut down and won't come back on till the engine cools off. Some do have a remote thermostat screwed into the block, that isn't critical either but it probably does make it a bit more efficent. it certainly will kick your electric bill up quite a few bucks, especially in winter. in summer at least in my part of the world, they probably don't switch on at all for several weeks at a time.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 11-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Registered-I

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for the link!

I've got one on my SK that works nicely. Heats the cylinder head and block to 85-90 degrees. The previous owner plumbed it with silicone (blue) hose and stainless steel hose clamps.

Label is off the body, so I bookmarked the page for future reference.

Rock
Old 11-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Subscriber

Liked 8,561 Times in 4,069 Posts

Pictures would help.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Registered-II

It appears that it is a Kim Hotstart. Here are some pictures, but I'm wondering if maybe an oil heater might not be better?
Old 11-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Registered-II

Crud, forgot the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8195.jpg   IMG_8196.jpg   IMG_8198.jpg  
Old 11-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Subscriber

Liked 1,205 Times in 797 Posts

First, do you really need a heater?

They do draw a lot of power, if you can get a good start without it, I would do so.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Registered-II

That's pretty much what I was wondering. This unit has one, so I figured it must be there for a reason. Thinking back, I think it was taken off the roof of a hospital building, so that may be why it had the heater.

What I am working on, which is something that goes along with the whole delay gaseous fuel to build oil pressure thread, is to try reprogramming the speed controller to ramp up the speed from startup to rated over a period of 30-60 seconds rather than running right up to full speed immediately.

The other option is to fix the heater and plug it in when bad weather is coming
Old 11-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Registered-III

Liked 975 Times in 538 Posts

I'm guessing you're doing a remote-start/automatic operation?

With proper oil, you can safely do without has Gunny suggested. These things have survived many years, in large numbers, without that kind of TLC.

However, you could get one of the silicone heat pads that you glue to your oil pan (they worked well in Alaska) and tie it, and your coolant heater through a relay or small contactor that will handle the amperage, and control the relay by ambient sensing with something such as this:

http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-T...or-120-240-Vac

That way, its all automatic; and you can decide at what temperature to actually start pre-heating the engine.

Of course, all this will cost as much or more than that TPS heater does, but it all depends what you want for piece of mind.