Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan Generator Fuel Supply

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 748 times

Old 11-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Registered-III

Default Onan Generator Fuel Supply

My son who is in the IT field sent me the following article which is a short read and makes me feel a bit better that I have a tri-fueled JB standby generator. There are rumblings that our natural gas supply pricing will increase about 18% this Winter due to excessive demand and a limited supply chain to the Northeast area in general. So I was wondering if I should investigate installing an on-site propane supply dedicated to the JB. How big a tank would I need to run the JB 24/7 for the better part of the Winter? Crazy idea? Maybe not if we get gas or electric interruptions.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...#slideid-98481

Leon
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Onan Generator Fuel Supply

I think you would need a huge tank to run on propane for the winter without refilling. Diesel might be more practical. And an excuse to get another generator.

Good article. I like Wired magazine. I hope our power grid security isn't done by the same companies that built the Obamacare website.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,443 Times in 911 Posts

PSE&G has reduced cost of natural gas by 33% to customers in NJ/NY area for next 3 months.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power:
Old 11-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,520 Posts

For hot water +heating house we burn ~1400 gal/yr heating oil, only ~200 gal in non-heating season. Looked into propane, based on BTU of fuel I think it came out 25% more gallons.(1750 gal) Can just ratio gal/hr of furnace and JB as a quick estimate. That's a BIG tank.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycenphil View Post
I hope our power grid security isn't done by the same companies that built the Obamacare website.
. . . And that's why we all have stand by generators..lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to countryboy07:
Old 11-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Registered-III

One big tank = all your eggs in one basket. Lose all $$$ if one leak. At work seen a tall liquid nitrogen tank leak at valve once, right after filling it. Real good flow of thick white gas, couldn't see the valve. They had to let the whole tank vent off, ~2000 gallons. Maybe several smaller tanks with shutoff valve isolation between them.

Just thinking at that size tank there my be local fire regulations on max size of tank or total gallons on site.

Talked with a fire guy about a tractor trailer turn over on highway. He looked up the response info on propane, very large evacuation radius. He said 3 miles, but that doesn't sound reasonable though.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Registered-III

"Somebody" gave figures for my 15JC on Propane about 3 gal/hr full output,,, 1.5 or so at low load. In this country there are easly available 1100 gal and smaller tanks for a buck a gallon round figures. Say capacity is 900 gal that's only 300 hours at full output. Almost talk yourself into two generators. One to do laundry, hot water, showers and such ever other day and a 3-5 KW for the rest of the time, freezer, lites, computer.
The Following User Says Thank You to grif:
Old 11-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Registered-III

Grif I like that idea! Maybe I should look for a small CCK for the lite stuff. Geeze then manning the generators will become a full time job. Nah, I'll improvise some switch gear and have everything remoted to the basement laundry room. Trouble is, when I am gone, no one will know how to operate the system. Just thinking a bit.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,607 Times in 940 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grif View Post
"Somebody" gave figures for my 15JC on Propane about 3 gal/hr full output,,, 1.5 or so at low load.
That's about right. From the Onan T-015 gaseous fuels manual: 110 CuFt/hr at full load. 1 gallon of propane = 36.5 CuFt. Figure about half that at no load just to keep the engine running. It goes to show just how inefficient generators really are. If you can get 20% you are doing good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grif View Post
Almost talk yourself into two generators. One to do laundry, hot water, showers and such ever other day and a 3-5 KW for the rest of the time, freezer, lites, computer.
That's what I do now. My 2.5Lk or 2.8 Microquiet will run the heating system, refrigerator, and lights. Why run even a twin cylinder 4Kw at night when that's all you need? It's not even a matter of paying for the fuel, it's about conserving precious resources during a prolonged, widespread power outage when it may be difficult or impossible to replenish your supply.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Registered-III

Biggest issue with my setup. I've got a water air heatpump for primary heat. That's the good news/bad news. For it to run, it's got to have the well running. The propane fireplace is a total waste,,, the exaust outside has a heat warning on it and they're serious.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon N. View Post
...How big a tank would I need to run the JB 24/7 for the better part of the Winter? Crazy idea? ...
Yeah. Probably a crazy idea. Our JBs burn about 1 gallon of propane/hour at full load. Even lightly loaded they'd still need about 1/2 gallon hour. That's what, 12 gallons per day? Maybe you run it half the day, so you get down to 6 gallons/day. Multiply that by 100 days, and you'll need 600 gallons. Not an outrageous tank...

BUT...

If your power (and natural gas in your case, Leon) is out all winter, I'm about 99.9% sure that generating your own electricity will be the least of your troubles...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim McIntyre:
Old 11-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Registered-III

My 7NHM is 0.4 gal/hr no load, 1.3 FL , gasoline.
Think it was one of the 4kw Microquiets that were 0.3 no load. Not that much better.

To conserve fuel for night time use in winter, can even setup a timer to cycle the gen on for ~30min every 90-120 minutes, for heat and fridge. Or thermostat (with wide hysteresis ) commanding gen on and off, so you can better accomadate those -5 deg nights.

With timers and power relay to let engine warm for couple minutes before supplying power to house. And cut power before killing engine.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Subscriber

Or a couple batteries and an inverter to run the boiler and maybe the fridge at night?