Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Building a custom backpack blower - West Bend 820

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 686 times

Old 11-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Registered-III

Liked 373 Times in 272 Posts
Default Building a custom backpack blower - West Bend 820

I really like using vintage machinery, but have not come across anything "exceptional" when it comes to old backpack blowers. Every model that I have come across is sluggish, heavy and leaves a lot to be desired. Nearly every piece of equipment I own is 1970's and older, and gas powered whenever possible. I would really like to fit a legendary West Bend 820 engine to a modern high performance backpack blower. From what I can find, the 820 came with a stock 6.25-8hp rating at 7000 or 8000rpm. I currently have a couple of Stihl BR550 and BR600 blowers. They are great, powerful, lightweight and good on fuel, but they are nothing really "unique." The biggest concern I have is matching a blower housing and impeller to the engines rpm range. Retrofitting an impeller and housing factory fitted to a 7200rpm engine on an 8000rpm engine might do, but then again, I cant turn up the engine to 10,000rpm without having a time bomb strapped to my back. I have been looking online, but I have not been able to find any fuel consumption specs on a factory 820 engine. If the engine burns twice the fuel at 10,000rpm versus 8000rpm, I'd opt for the lower governed speed. Another thing I need to figure out is whether you can actually install a muffler on these engines. Every West Bend I have ever seen has an open header or a tuned exhaust, neither of which muffle sound at all. I know these engines were used on some industrial applications, but have not found much in terms of service life on a relatively stock engine. What kind of lifetime can a rebuilt factory spec engine yield? I am not old enough to have been around when these engines changed the karting world, but would love to connect with some of you West Bend buffs who can answer some of my questions.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Registered-III

Liked 1,601 Times in 351 Posts
Default Re: Building a custom backpack blower - West Bend 820

Wow, that would be a fun one! I've never tried installing a muffler one a West Bend, it would be interesting to see what it would do. I'd worry it would provide too much back pressure, causing issues with revving up to speed and potential crankcase pressure issues (wasting seals, etc). Even the industrial ones I've seen had little int he way of a muffler. This is the most I've seen in a west bend muffler (well something similar) and it was significantly quieter than the open exhaust http://ebay.com/itm/vintage-westbend-580-510-700-820-tamper-exhaust-pump-saw-generator-mower-go-kart-/221212585053 This would be a very interesting build!