Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Honda Clone generator backfires out the carb, any idea?

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2282 times

Old 12-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Registered

Default Honda Clone generator backfires out the carb, any idea?

Hi all, i picked up a non running chicago electric generator with a 5.5 hp honda gx160 clone engine. I could not get this thing to start to save my life, found a weak spart and a broken air screw on the carb. I replaced the plug, coil, and the carb and now after about an hour of messing with it it fired up and ran really well. I shut it off and started it again with the choke on a few times no problem. Next day i go out and back to square one. I even sometimes get a nice big flame shoot out of the carb so that tells me maybe valve? Opened up the valve cover and re set the valve lash and i see both open and close and seem to be working fine. Checked air screw on carb and its 1 1/2 turns out like should be from what i have seen. Everything is tight no air leaks or anything. Anyone seen this before? Am i over looking something? Thanks a ton!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Honda Clone generator backfires out the carb, any idea?

Those things are notorious for having/breaking an already weak valve spring. I'd go back and check there.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Subscriber

Valve spring may be the culprit, however, check to make sure the valve lash is adjusted correctly. Adjust them with cylinder at top dead center of the compression stroke. I dont know the exact tolerance but .004 inches would be a good start. A flame from the intake valve suggests the valve is not closing completely.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:36 AM
Registered-III

Pull the valve cover, 3 bolts I believe, easy to check and see if you have valve troubles. The other culprit - might be a woodruff key that had sheared on the flywheel, causing the spark to be off time. Had it happen to me, but when it happened I couldn't get the engine to run at all and would only back fire like you describe.
Another thought - Replace the carb, should be able to find a replacement carb at the local scrap yard. Every time I stop by the local scrap yard here, I usually find a couple of those clone engines with holes in the crankcase due to a broken rod.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:27 AM
Registered

thanks for the suggestions. I pulled the valve cover and its seems like the exhaust side has either gotten really hot and burnt oil to it or maybe has some blow by through the valve guides im not sure but they are functioning properly nothing just stands out. Valve springs are pulling the valve closed and i set the lash at .006 on intake and .008 on exhaust like the side of the unit sais. I heard these motors dont like some plugs so i think i may pick up a champion and ngk tonight and see if that makes a difference. It has a brand new carb on it i just ordered and put on but i didnt use new gaskets but they seemed ok. So i think my next step is going to be to pull the flywheel to verify the key is good and i may just order a whole new gasket set (15$) and pull the head off to see whats really goin on. Thanks again
Old 12-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,476 Times in 390 Posts

It is running too lean. A lean mixture will burn so slowly that a flame will still be burning in the cylinder on the next intake stroke which will light off the incoming charge. It will also make the exhaust very hot.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Subscriber

those engines come from the factory lean to pass emissions standards and also so they will only last so long before they overheat and let go. little trick is to use a tiny drill to open the main jet just a tad.. to much and it will bog under load.. or just buy a honda jet for that size engine.

i would def pull the head and check the valve seats and piston before dumping any money into something designed to fail.
The Following User Says Thank You to yellowlister:
Old 12-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Subscriber

Try another spark plug. If it won't fire on the compression stroke, it will fire at the end of the exhaust stroke and ignite the intake charge on valve overlap.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Registered-III

A couple additional tips:
* Do a compression test, see what you get. You should get at least 60 PSI
* Pull the head, see how the cylinder, piston, and valves look before spending anymore $$$
* I do not know how to check timing on these clones, may be well worth checking before pulling the flywheel.