Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

compressionless engine

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2668 times

Old 05-20-2004, 07:44 AM
Don Lew

Default compressionless engine

I attended the engine show at Bangor,Pa this past weekend and on display was a homade "compressionless engine" built by a gentelman whose name I failed to get [unfortainly]. Anyway, the more I thought about this engine-the more I became interested in learning more about it.This was built from scratch and very well done and was based on concept of an engine made in the late 1800's. If anyone could point me to information,it would be greatly appreciated.

Don
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2004, 08:02 AM
Patrick Livingstone

Default Re: compressionless engine

Hi Don. By compressionless do you mean an atmospheric engine like the Otto-Langen?

Old 05-20-2004, 09:53 AM
Luke Tonneberger

Don probably means the Lenoir cycle. With the piston at TDC it starts to draw in the fuel/air mix. At about half way through the intake stroke it fires. It goes through a full exhaust stroke. Then repeats. I guess it would be considered a 2 stroke.

Luke Tonneberger Rockford, Michigan USA
Old 05-20-2004, 12:09 PM
Don Lew

Thank you all for your response. Yes Luke. that is exactly what I am refiring to. Any ideas where I might find more info?

Thanks again

don
Old 05-20-2004, 02:07 PM
Andrew Mackey

Try Rough & Tumble Engineers @ Kinzers, They have both an Otto Langen and the Lenoir engines on display there. R&T has a web site, but I don't remember the name of the site _ help here friends? Andrew
Old 05-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Mike in NC

Here you go.

Rough & Tumble Engineers Historical Association
Old 05-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Andrew Mackey

Thanks Mike, I'll keep it in my reference for future use! Andrew
Old 05-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Orrin Iseminger

Lyle Cummins describes a variety of compressionless engines in his book "Internal Fire." It's an expensive book, but very informative. You can get it through Lindsay's Publishing.

Internal Fire, being very thorough, reads more like a textbook than a novel, nevertheless, I recommend it to all engine enthusiasts.

Orrin