Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Motors General Discussion Antique Generators, Light Plants and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Motors General Discussion

Propane Shortage In Maine?

My buddy said his company could only give him a few gallons to hold hm until supply resumes. Is...

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1207 times

Old 12-31-2013, 07:35 AM
Subscriber

Default Propane Shortage In Maine?

My buddy said his company could only give him a few gallons to hold hm until supply resumes. Is this true or is the company trying to pull something?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2013, 08:26 AM
Sponsor

Default Re: Propane Shortage In Maine?

likely a transportation problem
but it might be a $ problem between the distributor and his supplier

a local Mercedes dealer's excuse was the parts are not in yet
actually they were waiting down at the greyhound terminal COD
Old 12-31-2013, 08:46 AM
Subscriber

Maybe his supplier is hit by the ice storm and does not have his power back yet. We have been out for a total of 85 hours so far.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:52 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,034 Times in 1,724 Posts

What part of the state is your buddy in??

residential heating customers are being supplied but commercial customers are seeing a shortage.

I was at the store over on Orr's island yesterday. They have a 500 gal horizontal tank. The owner asked me to check the level for her as I do work for them.
The use it for heat in the store and upstairs apartment, cooking and have a propane stove in the store for heat & ambiance the old timers sit around.

The tank was at <10%. She called supplier and they told her because of the ice storms and heavy weather we've had for past couple weeks there is a backup on deliveries. They did get a truck down and filled the 500 gal tank by 3:30 pm so I'd say it's not a shortage of product , just drivers time.

The Governor did lift drivers hours of service restrictions last week in a temp emergency declaration.

I did get a delivery around the 18th with only 38 gallons needed to top off my 3 120 gallon pigs. They stop whenever the truck is down this way even if it's only for a few gallons.
I contract for 600 gal per year so I guess they want to get them in the tanks & billed?????
Old 12-31-2013, 09:23 AM
Subscriber

He's in Bangor area.

Hope everyone has a contracted price; I imagine the regular price is skyrocketing.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:18 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,518 Times in 891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycenphil View Post
Hope everyone has a contracted price; I imagine the regular price is skyrocketing.
That may get the dealer a few dollars in the short term, but any customer that wakes up to the fact he is being taken for a ride will leave for greener pastures as soon as the "shortage" clears up.

More than one person, on my advice, had a "friendly conversation" with a propane dealer that turned $4.50/gallon into $2.50/gallon.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,034 Times in 1,724 Posts

I'm locked in @ $1.99/9 for this year, was $2.28/9 last year. Thats after switching vendors.
Previous vendor for 20 years was charging me $3.69 the year before.

Have several customers at or below the $2.00 / gal price this year. One gets $1.59 as they use 1500 gallons / yr.

Fuel in the Bangor / Brewer area is usually lower than here on the midcoast as they bring it up the river to several large terminals up there.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:57 PM
Subscriber

I got rid of propane here 10 years ago, and the main reason was the dealers. It may be the most unscrupulous business around, and the comments above seem to confirm this. Every single time I got a fill up, they charged some ridiculous price. I would call them, they would blame it on an error or miscommunication and they would adjust it back down. I changed companies twice, and the same thing happened.

I'm sure there are honest dealers out there, but I never found them.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:20 AM
Registered

Just had my tank filled at the shop. Price was $1.94 per gallon. Delivery driver said it was the highest price he had ever seen for propane. I am in southern Indiana.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,584 Times in 627 Posts

Heating fuel prices by state, along with a several year history:
http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_wfr_dcus_sia_w.htm
Old 01-01-2014, 09:53 AM
Registered-I

I can't speak to your particular dealer(s) honesty, but I can say that in my experience over here there are shortages all the time, and ours transports have only a 3 hour drive straight from the refinery. Sometimes they have a line of transport trucks all the way down the block and when they show up to the rack they are out of product and have to wait for the refinery to make enough to fill the truck. Other times there is just flat none available and they transload rail cars or truck it in from out of state in a truck with a sleeper cab. And one transport truck equates to half a day's work for even a small retail company.

In the East they have propane pipelines that are frequently scheduled to the very max in winter or during ag drying season. I recently read that one of those pipelines is being reconfigured to transport another product in the opposite direction so rail and trucking will have to pick up the slack.

If you knew how thin supply lines are regularly stretched in any kind of business you would be amazed that anything gets delivered at all.