Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Another Newbie Joining the Ranks

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 981 times

Old 03-10-2014, 05:38:32 PM
Registered-I

Default Another Newbie Joining the Ranks

Howdy folks -

After reading these forums over the last several years and gleaning a lot of useful information I decided today to finally sign up. Partly because I'm reaching the end of my very limited knowledge on some topics, but also in the event that I might actually be able to help someone else at some point. Only seems fair.

I've got a few old engines even though it was never a plan to collect any(a Maytag 92, Lauson 12v mil genny, Onan W3S). Also an old Farmall Super A (lawnmower) and 1952 Ford F-1 with a purty 239 Flathead V-8 in it that is about halfway complete. My main interest for years has been old tube radios and shortwave gear, but the machinery has always been right there too.

So that's that on that. Just wanted to say hello. I'll try to stay out from underfoot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BoomerNC For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2014, 05:42:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,162 Posts
Default Re: Another Newbie Joining the Ranks

Welcome Boomer good to have you a board the Stak enjoy get to know the folks.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:20:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,529 Times in 3,165 Posts

Welcome Aboard.

Hope to see some pictures of that F-1 Ford sometime in the future.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:50:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,329 Times in 807 Posts

When I do, have time to attend a car show, I try and look for the older Fords still with the flathead power plants. They seem sooooo nice to look at, rather than another motor stuck in the chassis. I do appreciate those that do, for the purpose having easy access to the power add on's such as power steering, air, etc in something they do intend to drive often, as the flathead dosen't lend itself to those add on's. Just love to not hear one of those flatheads running. even though it is.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:32:24 PM
Registered-I

Thanks guys. I've been reading parts of these forums over the last 2-3 years so I'm quite familiar with some, but very little compared to everything that's here.

As to the F-1, the main reason I got it was that it hadn't been hacked up or lost its flathead. I love the looks of that engine. If I ever did a swap, it would be to the larger 337 Lincoln version.

While it won't be totally stock, I'm not going to try to make it into a new truck either. Will add headers and dual exhaust, lower the front suspension *slightly*, basically old school stuff. For safety I plan to add a dual reservoir master cylinder and convert to 12 volts for brighter lights and electric wipers. I have a 16 month old daughter, so if she's ever to ride it in some things need to be done to update it, like seat belts.

I'll try to hang a couple photos on, showing the engine and the current state of the truck. I've got another cab nearly ready for paint to replace the badly patched one on the frame. Frame is done, engine is rebuilt with about 2 hours on it. Really just needs cosmetics now. The fellow who sold me the cab has a shop and is going to paint it for me. Hope to get the bulk of it done this spring/summer, at least get the cab on and enough stuff hooked up to move it around.

Dan, I'm off to put some shots of the ancient Onan up, too.
Attached Thumbnails
WheelsOff1.jpg   FlatHead1.jpg   FlatHead7.jpg   Cab5.jpg  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BoomerNC For This Post:
Old 03-11-2014, 07:58:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,529 Times in 3,165 Posts

Looking good so far.....
Old 03-11-2014, 10:08:38 PM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Another Newbie Joining the Ranks

Welcome Boomer.......neat project....... .......you should start your own thread in the Antique Autos and Trucks forum.......
Old 03-11-2014, 10:54:36 PM
Subscriber

Hi Boomer, Welcome to the Stak, I'm fairly new here too and an old NC taxpayer. I was admiring your F-1 and remembering the 51 I owned in my younger years, I grew up in Minnesota and me and my best buddy laid many a cold winter night up under a 46 and 47 Ford changing out flatheads and transmissions and rear ends.Hope you find lots of good information here and I'm sure in no time you will be helping some others with their project. Hal near MT. PILOT
Old 03-12-2014, 02:51:38 PM
Registered-I

Well Hal, if you really want a project, I got a '51 parts shell with this one. It's originally out of the Charlotte area so nearly no rust in the cab, though the fmr owner drilled and blasted the firewall a bit to make it a hot rod. Basically a rolling frame/shell.

I'm originally from the great white north as well, born and grew up in VT. They're getting 1-2 feet of snow over the next couple days, so I'm not missing the place a bit. Love it down here, fewer crazy people or at least, they're crazy like I am.

Once I get back to work on it I'll post something in the vehicle section, Craig. Things have been slow over the winter since it's stored outside. Waiting for free time and more money to catch up with it.