Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Pernicious new upstart from rural Utah

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1599 times

Old 05-18-2014, 11:37:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,073 Times in 949 Posts
Default Pernicious new upstart from rural Utah

Hello all. I'm a retired electronics engineer. My career was pretty much split between high power broadcast engineering and electronic instrumentation repair and calibration.

I've worked on engines since I was about twelve. Even owned a running Maytag washing machine engine.... which I still kick myself for selling. Think I paid five bucks for it and got fifteen bucks when I sold it, but hey, I was young and stupid. Anyway since then I've worked on and even rebuilt countless small, medium and large engines. Never as a career, mostly out of necessity. So not a pro but I at least know what most every widget part does and for the most part why. I was born and raised in Salt Lake City, I served a ten year sentence working in Silicon Valley, then moved back to Utah.

I currenly live off the grid in a high desert valley in South West Utah. I have five acres of mostly sagebrush and silt, BUT IT'S ALL MINE! No rent or mortgage. But also no utilities. I discovered after buying the property that the local power company wanted fourteen grand just to connect me up. Though the closest power is just 600 feet away, it may as well be a mile from my perspective. The fourteen grand didn't include one watt of power, just the connection.

So... I figure fourteen grand will buy a lot of fuel. Thus I live off grid. I now own about TEN generators in various conditions... and learned a lot along the way.

I"ll be sharing what I'm able, but mostly I'm here to learn.

I'm very interested in alternative power generation. I'm thinking in terms of an old hit miss PM inverter gen hybrid. (Ouch! I can already feel the flames from that idea!)

Anyway, hello all. I'm Doc
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thaumaturge For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2014, 03:39:54 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,465 Times in 1,197 Posts
Default Re: Pernicious new upstart from rural Utah

Howdy Doc, yeah, got to love those western power companies, 14K for 600 ft is a deal, they want 8K to drop a line off a pole already on my property. Welcome aboard, you will find all kinds of interesting projects on this forum, and help if you need it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dalmatiangirl61 For This Post:
Old 05-19-2014, 05:11:35 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts

Doc:

Welcome to the Stak from another old "man about electrons".

Harry and I are both FCC 1st Phone ticket holders (or whatever that piece of paper is called nowadays) and worked in broadcast for a while. You'll fit-in fine here with us other misfits.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 05-19-2014, 07:24:04 AM
Subscriber

8k for just a drop? Ouch! In my case I guess I pretty much understand it. They have to stick to distrinution guidelines. Can't just run a line off neighbors pole. Instead the have to run across top of block and run down in front or even down middle. Then to my drop. So min they'd need to set about five poles. Basically I'd be paying to run power to the whole block. (8 five acre plots). Problem is I would never recover that fee unless I bought up the rest of the block and then sold the other lots again for higher amount having access to power would result in. Not gonna happen. Mines the only lot on the block that included any water rights. Can't get a building permit without owning water rights. Can safely count on not having any close neighbors.
Doc

---------- Post added at 05:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elden DuRand View Post
Doc:

Welcome to the Stak from another old "man about electrons".

Harry and I are both FCC 1st Phone ticket holders (or whatever that piece of paper is called nowadays) and worked in broadcast for a while. You'll fit-in fine here with us other misfits.
I passed my second phone almost concurrent to the FCC deregulating the need for a first to fiddle with broadcast transmitters. (1979?) So close in fact they never sent me my second phone. So I never bothered to get my first. I could have passed the first, but there wasn't time on the day I took my third and second. I went to Sillicon valley shortly after so somehow never got back to it.

A short stint as a job shopper to a Sperry cal lab in Utah was sufficient enough to get me into the door of a cal lab in silicon valley. They were owned by Itek when I went in and Litton when I left (which was why).

Anyway, thanks for the welcom guys. I'm rather blown away by the vast scope of this site. I'm still just learning to navigate all the truly facinating little corners of it. Likely lurk a bit.
Doc
The Following User Says Thank You to Thaumaturge For This Post:
Old 05-19-2014, 11:09:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,597 Times in 912 Posts

Welcome to the stak. Bill K
The Following User Says Thank You to oldproff For This Post:
Old 05-20-2014, 10:08:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanks for the welcome, Bill.
Doc
Old 05-21-2014, 10:18:09 PM
Administrator

Thanked 8,996 Times in 1,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elden DuRand View Post
Harry and I are both FCC 1st Phone ticket holders (or whatever that piece of paper is called nowadays) and worked in broadcast for a while.
It's amazing what you can find on the web, even from the 70's...

http://rrcs-208-125-60-82.nys.biz.rr...20-%201591.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
wrvo.jpg  
Old 05-21-2014, 11:35:01 PM
Subscriber

Hello Harry. Interesting. I did my initial 2 year stint as assistant engineer at KRSP AM/FM in Sal Lake City between 1977-79. AM was 10kw day and 1kw(?) directional night. FM was 100Kw erp local and somewhat less off Farnsworth peak. FM's were both CCAs. AM started with an old Gates breaker tripper. One of my first big tasks was yanking the Gates and replacing it with a shiny new Continental. Loved that Continental. zero to 10 kw in 20 seconds flat. The Gates you had to tickle and finess into life and then start all over when it would pop the breaker on throttle up.
After my stint in Silicon Valley I was co-engineer at KXIV-TV14 running Townsends. Did that about 4 years. Then I did a six year stint as primary transmitter engineer for UofU with an FM (Continental and Nautel, 2 VHF-TV (Larkan) and finally 2 UHF digital (Harris) transmitters. Did five transmitter installs over the six years, so I was a busy boy. Then I got them running so smoothe they put me out to pasture. Other half of my career I fixed just about every form of instrumentation known to mankind.
Doc
Old 05-22-2014, 07:20:11 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
It's amazing what you can find on the web, even from the 70's...
Gee, Harry. You were a cool guy back then with the plaid pants and sideburns. Me....... I was just the Nerd in the background doing sound on the syndicated show, Music Place.

The photo was taken by a fellow engineer around 1970.

It's been a long time, guys.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kid With The Microphone.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 10:42:41 AM
Registered

Hello Doc! Another Utahn here. Just joined today. Nice to meet you.
The Following User Says Thank You to alexn20 For This Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 06:22:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanks Alex. Welcome yourself. Midvale huh? Lived there in early 90s.
Best of luck to you.
Doc