Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

John Deere E engine

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1182 times

Old 07-25-2004, 02:54 PM
GA_Longhorn

Default John Deere E engine

I have just acquired a little E-type 1 1/2 H.P. John Deere gas engine and I have a dilemma. This is my first restoration of this type and I received the engine in a "basket", so I didn't have the luxury of taking it apart myself. I have ordered all my needed parts for the project and I'm ready to assemble the little cutie. The gas tank seems to be covered by the oil pan, to form a lid of sorts. There are 1" holes in each end of the "lid"; one for the gas line and one for the fill tube. Here's my question. What keeps the oil in the crankcase from draining into the gas tank. I can't see any way to seal the two pieces around the 1" holes and cannot locate and exploded drawing for reference. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2004, 04:51 PM
Joe Morris

Default Re: John Deere E engine

Longhorn, Look underneath the bottom of the engine block and you will see that the block is cast so that a gasket fits between the block and the oil pan and the gasket surrounds the holes to seal them. be sure that if you cut your own gaskets that you make them so that they surround the holes. I hope this will help. Good luck in a good Hobby, Joe Morris in east Tennessee
Old 07-25-2004, 05:01 PM
Byron Roberts

On my 1 1/2 E ...Starbolt sold me 2 Gaskets one on each side of oilpan I cut tabs on bottom gasket on top of tank ..As to not rot off and cause problems later ..Base of engine is made to surround oil and gas fill...No problems Yet..Byron
Old 07-25-2004, 07:51 PM
GA_Longhorn

Thanks Guys....I think I have this figured out now. I'm off to seek my destiny in John Deere green. I'll let you know how it comes out. My Grandpa would say I just "...got excited before I studied the problem." Thanks again.