Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors Weeden, Empire, Doll, Jensen, Wilesco, Mamod, Marklin

Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors

Weeden steam engine

this thread has 33 replies and has been viewed 18088 times

Old 05-22-2002, 07:58 PM
Dave

Default Weeden steam engine

Hi, I'm new to the stationary steam engine. I just bought a toy steam engine(I'm not sure if "toy" is the right word)off of Ebay. it's a weeden 14 it's very old, at least 50 years old. it's missing the water site guage and I think the govener? I'm very intrested in steam engines and how they work. I have a few questions. #1 where can I find a sight guage for the weeden ? #2 what kind of fuel is needed to heat the boiler. and what ever information you can tell me about this weeden engine would be helpful. I figured I'd start out small and go from there just to get an idea what a steam engine is like. Dave.

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- deepbluesea@aol.com

----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to air-yi04.mail.aol.com.:
:>> RCPT To: deepbluesea@aol.com
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2002, 11:09 PM
Allen

Default Re: weeden steam engine

Try David Robie in South Waymouth Massachusetts for repro Weeden parts.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:45 AM
Harold Silverman

I too just bought an old Weeden steam engine I want to restore. Do you have a mailing, e-mail address or phone for a parts source? Also, I would like to know history on the Weeden company. Thanks, HS
Old 01-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Randy

ddoes anyone know where parts can be found for weeden steam engine , like the site glass?
Old 01-14-2004, 09:56 PM
alan ruschman

Dave Robie, address below, has a good selection of parts for most toy steam engines. The best way to start is to tell him the model number of the engine and go from there. BUY his catalog if you are going to get serious about these little gems.

Daviv C. Robie PO Box 414 S. Weymouth MA 02190
Old 02-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Scott ( boiler inspector)

This web site carries some replacement parts for weeden toys, but I haven't found a sight glass or fittings yet either. I've tried looking on laboratory web sites for glass tube, but I don't want to buy 100 pieces of glass tubing.

www.classictintoy.com/
Old 02-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Scott ( boiler inspector)

I emailed Classictintoy.com about sight glass parts and they do offer sight glass replacement, but you have to send the boiler into them . No idea on the cost, but I bet it's not cheap.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:36 PM
alan ruschman

Go back through this threas yo my previous post concerning David Robie. Most anything you want and reasonable. It is a little work, but worth it.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:37 AM
Eric Trickel

I make almost all the castings for weeden engines. I dont have a source for sight glass though ,Dave Robie would have glass and stampings. i can e-mail you a list in word format if you like
Old 08-17-2004, 04:24 PM
ijig

Look uner glass tube on ebay
Old 04-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Registered

Question Re: weeden steam engine

Hi everyone,
I am new to this site so I therefore need all the help I can get. I have been searching for parts for a Weeden steam engine and the name of David Robie keeps coming up. I have tried the email address given in the forum, but it keeps coming back to me as undeliverable. I have what I believe is the Weeden #14 engine and would like to find a governor for it. Therefore any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,--------Ray Zdan
Old 04-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Registered-III

hi

i have been collecting steam toys for awhile then the Engine bug bit,so i havent played with them for a few years,but i have enough weeden sight glass to last me several lifetimes,i would be happy to pass on a few pieces to those who need them.

bruce
Old 04-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Registered

Hi Bruce,
If possible could you let me know how to get in touch with you? I could use a couple of pieces of sight glass. (will pay of course). I don't know if you saw my earlier post but I am also looking for a governor for my old Weeden steam engine. Actually, I would like to find someone or somewhere one could find old parts. Thanks,-------Ray Zdan
Old 04-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Registered-III

hi ray

i sent you a email message regarding the glass,pls let me know that you recieved it.

bruce
Old 11-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Zdan View Post
Hi everyone,
I am new to this site so I therefore need all the help I can get. I have been searching for parts for a Weeden steam engine and the name of David Robie keeps coming up. I have tried the email address given in the forum, but it keeps coming back to me as undeliverable. I have what I believe is the Weeden #14 engine and would like to find a governor for it. Therefore any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,--------Ray Zdan
This thread is kind of old, but I thought I would put my 2-cents in.

I am also new to this site and new to collecting Weeden steam toys. I found the SmokStak forum by doing a Google search on Weeden and this thread popped up.

So far, I have two Weedens: a No. 20 and a No. 14. The No. 20 has a vertical brass boiler with a vertical oscillating cylinder mounted on the side. I think it is the only Weeden model specifically designed to burn kerosene. The base of the engine has a kerosene fount with a wick raiser and the boiler has a single flue in it and the smokestack acutally serves a purpose. The No. 14 has a horizontal brass boiler mounted on a cast iron base with an integral horizontal mill engine. It is designed to burn alcohol using a tin fount with three burners. The fount sits in an opening under the boiler.

After I found my No. 20 in an antique store, I had a hard time identifying it because I knew almost nothing about model steam engines. Internet searches told me that it was a Weeden, but I didn't find out which specific model it was until I bought a reprint 1935 Weeden catalog on eBay. It was well-worth the ten bucks!

With regard to Classic Tin Toy, they do have some Weeden reproduction parts. Bear in mind that Weeden did not seem to standardize parts like stacks, safety valves, and cranks so you have to be careful when you buy the parts shown on the website. They may not fit your Weeden model.

I think David Robie fell off the planet. The latest reference to him that I found on the internet was in 2006, but he does not respond to any of the email addresses that I found. I guess you can write him off as a source for parts.

After I bought my No. 14, I discovered that the sight glass is very dirty and plugged. I would like to replace it. I measured the glass and it is about 0.138-inches outside diameter. Bruce, it would be great if I could get a new glass from you. I don't know what to use to seal the ends in the compression fittings. Do you have any suggestions?

-Phil
Old 11-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Subscriber

Where can I get a small bottle,2-3ozs) of steam oil for one of these "lil uns", I found a local auto parts suplier that will place a special order but they want to sell me a 55 gallon drum
If'n one of you "big un" owners that bought one of those 55 gal drums would consider selling me a couple ozs I'll send a bottle a $$ and a pre prepared and postage paid box to send it back in..
Old 11-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Subscriber

Gene:

There are two places I know of where you can get small quantities of steam oil. One is www.steamenginelube.com, and they will sell a pint for $7.50 + shipping, I think. Another place is www.theengineshop.net, where Roger sells an 8oz. bottle for $2.50 + shipping. You will find it on the home page of the web site. Roger is a really nice guy and a great model engine machinist. I have done business with him myself and would highly recommend him. He is also a dealer for Stuart and makes many cool parts for small steam engines. Check out his website thoroughly. It's very interesting.

Bob

Last edited by Smokin Bob; 11-19-2007 at 08:29 PM. Reason: added something
Old 11-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanks Bob!!! I'll see what i can do with these links.. Hope management (Harry) puts that THANKS tab back on soon!
Gene----------------------
Old 11-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Registered-III

hi

i saw my name pop up in this thread what can i help with?

bruce
Old 11-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Registered-III

Catfish Hollow Toys, who is/was a sponsor for this site; will also sell you a small dropper bottle of steam oil. That is where I buy the oil for my trio of Mamod engines.