Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Steam Whistle Valve Leak

I Just recently aquired a large Lunkenheimer steam whistle but the valve leaks pretty bad. I have...

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2081 times

Old 08-09-2000, 11:48 AM
Tanner Remillard

Default Steam Whistle Valve Leak

I Just recently aquired a large Lunkenheimer steam whistle but the valve leaks pretty bad. I have a different whistle that leaked and I put a stronger spring in it but it still leaks through the valve somewhere. "> . Is There someway to stop the leak?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2000, 05:11 PM
Russ Hughes

Default Re: Steam Whistle Valve Leak

Do you have any idea of how the valve is constructed? Some steam valves have a disk that seats against the valve body. Most safety valves have this sort of a valve seat. You have to disassemble the valve and lap the seat and disk much like doing an intake or exhaust valve. The difference is that these seats are usually, but not always flat and not tapered.

If the whistle was originally designed for steam service, the valve will more than likely have metalic seats as the steam will cut any soft material. It will also cut a metal seat too, but not as fast. Once a valve with metalic seats starts leaking, you will soon be able to observe little lines or gouges across the valve seat.

This is usually called "wire cutting" as it looks like someone drew a thin wire back and forth across the seat sawing a thin grove across it. These cuts have to be ground or lapped out. A diamond faced lap usually does a good job of re- seating such valves.
Old 08-09-2000, 05:12 PM
Ken Majeski

Default Re: Steam Whistle Valve Leak

This is a common problem with old whistles. I usually take them apart and chuck the valve in the lathe and reface it and if the seat is not too bad seat the valve with a little valve grinding compound. It's the same as repairing any small engine valve. If the seat is really bad get it surfaced like a small engine valve. Good Luck

Kens old engine page