Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

GRIST MILL

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 3279 times

Old 08-09-2000, 10:22 PM
Denny Foster

Default GRIST MILL

Looking for some input on a grist mill, have a friend looking to buy one for now and again use, not a production mill. He is planning on using a 5 hp Hercules hit & miss goverened engine, I am not very knowledgeable regarding this subject but I would assume that a throttle governed engine would be more suited for the mill but I have seen hit & miss do just fine pulling a mill as well. He is concerned about the 5 hp not being enough. How big of a mill should he buy? What diameter pulley on the engine is best suited for the situation? He is thinking about a 16" Meadows mill, I was told Meadows is still around, but I haven't had any luck locating them. We have also located a 24" Sprout and Waldren mill but I am afraid it is an iron burr mill rather than a stone. anyone familiar with the Sprout and Waldren?

P.S. I know the 24" is too big for a 5 hp but It seems to be a good buy and I thought about buying it to pull with my 15 HP FBZ.

Any help would be appreciated! Denny
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2000, 01:51 PM
Stanley Bessent

Default Re: GRIST MILL

If the 5 HP engine was in really good shape it would pull the 16 inch mill. However this is about the limit that it SHOULD pull. You would need to grind kind of slowly. (not feed the corn in too fast). I once saw a guy pulling a 16 inch mill with a 3 HP John Deere, but the old John Deere was giving it all it had and hitting every time instead of hit or miss. Doubt that the engine lasted very long.
Old 08-10-2000, 02:16 PM
Stanley Bessent

The 16 inch grist mill needs to turn about 400-500 RPM
Old 08-10-2000, 04:02 PM
Steve Baldwin

Meadows Mills, Inc. is still in business and is located at 1352 West D Street, North Wilkesboro, NC, 28659. Phone # 336-838-2282.
Old 08-10-2000, 11:08 PM
Donald Baker

Denny I have seen some stone mills if you are going to grind much I dont think 5 hp is enough and speed is more inportent on a horizontal mill to cary the grain to out side. a vertical mill can run much slowerI have run a 6 inch bur mill with a 2 hp and it was quite a load I now run a 3inch and thats much better buckwheat grinds easy indian corn is much harder this fome my use . good luck from Don Baker in Ill