Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Motors General Discussion Antique Generators, Light Plants and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Motors General Discussion

Delco light plant piston

My husband and I are restoring a Delco and we would like to know what metal was used for the piston...

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 925 times

Old 10-01-2001, 07:19 PM
Heather Kohlwey

Default Delco light plant piston

My husband and I are restoring a Delco and we would like to know what metal was used for the piston since it is in need of a repair. Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2001, 12:39 AM
Don C. Wiley

Default Re: Delco light plant piston

Heather;

All of my Delco-Light generators have an aluminum piston.

I have one or two used ones, but they are in runnable but poor condition.

Delco-Light made about 80 different models over the 30 years they sold light plants. The majority of them had a 2-1/2" piston. The model 1250, 1271, 1275, and 1278 had a 3", the model 301, 302, 303, and 312 had a 3-3/4". The four cylinder air cooled had a 2-1/4" bore. They sold 19 different four cylinder water cooled models with 2-1/2" bore. Two four cylinder Opel water cooled models had 2-9/16" bore. Five four cylinder Hercules powered plants with 3" bore. Six four cylinder Continental models with 3-1/2" bore.

The information I have lists at least 6, six and twelve volt models from 1-9/16" to 2" bore.

If I had a picture of your generator I could probably give a real good educated guess as to what model you have.

"DELCO DON"