Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Motors General Discussion Antique Generators, Light Plants and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Motors General Discussion

1940? Military Generator

Looking for information on a 1940? military 3KW generator on two wheel trailer with US military...

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2067 times

Old 11-08-2001, 01:53 PM
Stan Smith

Default 1940? Military Generator

Looking for information on a 1940? military 3KW generator on two wheel trailer with US military tires. Two cylinder F/M flat head engine with radiator. Runs at 1800 rpm. Can be cranked or battery started. Need manuals and rebuilding info. Last ran about 5 years ago. Operator and maintenance information is on a sticker on the side of the radiator but is faded and can't make out much of it. Any info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2001, 10:16 AM
Charlie Sleevevalve Weaver

Default Re: 1940? Military Generator

Stan[and anyone else with old mil equipment]: If you can detect any manual number - TM, FM, or BuPers numbers - on the ID tags, then the National Technical Information Service, a Fed agency, in Springfield, VA, can probably provide you with a reprint of the manual. They gave me great service on an old 5kw unit I had one time. They may be able to find the correct manual if you can just supply name, model number etc of your unit. Their website is http://www.ntis.gov which gives their phone number.
Old 11-10-2001, 07:28 AM
Gus Simms

98 percent chance it's an Onan W2C. If F/M means Fairbanks Morse, then it will be about 100 percent. Although I was thinking these units were fairly uncommon, there has been a few of them surface on this chat forum.
Old 11-10-2001, 09:27 AM

"FM" means "Field Manual", "TM" = Technical Manual, and BuPers was the Navy's numbering system for operation and care manuals for mil equipment. These numbers were usually placed on plaques attached to mil equipment, vehicles etc, so GIs would know where to find needed info.
Old 11-10-2001, 09:30 AM

Sorry, Gus, you weren't talking to me were you? I failed to notice the F/M in the first message and thought you were referring to the FM in my message. Excuse the lesson on stuff you already knew. CW
Old 11-10-2001, 05:47 PM
Stan Smith

Sorry guys, but the generator does say Fairbanks Morse on it and that is what I was refering to by F/M. I'll see if I can come up with some other numbers or words from it which might help to get a manual, etc. Thanks for all your help and I'll let you know what I find out.