Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Motors General Discussion Antique Generators, Light Plants and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Motors General Discussion

Homelite DC Generator

this thread has 35 replies and has been viewed 13890 times

Old 07-12-2004, 08:17 PM
aaron sterling

Default Homelite DC Generator

Hi all,

I just picked up a Homelite DC Generator WWII Vintage. I can't seem to find any information on this unit anywhere.

The Serial # is 43N10513 and it's specs are 28Volts, 70 Amps, 2000Watts. Anyone have any information or a schematic for this unit? It runs, but needs a fuel pump, and Tank.

Any informtion would be helpful.

I've Attached a few pictures...

Aaron

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2004, 08:17 PM
aaron sterling

Default Re: Homelite DC Generator

Under electric cover

Old 07-12-2004, 08:18 PM
aaron sterling

Control Box

Old 07-13-2004, 07:07 AM
Gus Simms

Yep Aaron, that's a Homelite alright. In all the years I've been collecting generator literature, Homelite stuff is supiciously absent from my collection. The macines themselves are much easier to come by. At least yours seems to be in pristeen condition.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:08 AM
edurand

And I LUVV that old carbon-pile regulator (the thing with the cooling fins on it inside the control box).

Take care - Elden
Old 10-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Bull

I don't know if it helps, but I just picked up two old trash pumps at an auction with engines that look about the same as the one on you generator. I also would like to know more about them.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Bill Sherlock

Looks very similar to the Homelite Electric Generator, model HRU-28 Power Plant Assembly which is rated at 1500 Watts (45 Amps) @ 32V. I have a poor origional copy of a manual covering the above from Acme Fan & Blower Co. Ltd., Winnipeg, MB (Canada) The manual is 4 pages and includes a schematic. Don't know if the schematic would be of any use to you but I'm willing to photocopy it and send to you if you let me know.

Bill
Old 10-04-2004, 03:40 PM
listerdiesel

Homelites of this era didn't have a fuel pump as such, the tank fed the carb tube directly, with a non-return valve ball at the bottom of the suction tube.

The fuel tank is pressurised by crankcase pressure and keeps the fuel tube fed while the engine is running.

Mt handbook is for a 24A120-23 Homelite, yours looks a little more modern but the same carb and hand start appear to be fitted.

A blowlamp was also supplied according to my handbook for starting in cold weather!

Peter
Old 10-04-2004, 04:12 PM
listerdiesel

Bit more information:

I was going to describe the wiring schematic, but it is open to misinterpretation, so I have scanned the carburettor, the fuel tank, the schematic and the overall views of the unit.

I have checked the url's, they seem to work OK. The images are not small, but I have assumed you would want to print them out for reading and reference. (Right mouse click to save.)

Let me know if you need more info.

Peter
Old 10-04-2004, 04:19 PM
listerdiesel

Try this for the url's:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Misc/Homelite1.jpg

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Misc/Homelite2.jpg

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Misc/Homelite3.jpg

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Misc/Homelite4.jpg

If that still comes out scrambled, just get one up in your browser and change the picture number ONLY between Homelite1.jpg thru Homelite4.jpg, the rest of the address is the same for all.

Peter
Old 11-20-2004, 11:57 PM
Registered

Smile Re: Homelite DC Generator

I just purchased a homelite jacobson DC GENERATER at an auction in Tn.

The man owned it was retired from the state of Ohio , I don't think he ever had it running - it has a date of 1950 on it and it is somewhat like yours.

I got it started but you have to keep primming it to keep it running, ie there is
something to repair or a seal to replace on the carb?
Old 11-21-2004, 05:00 AM
Subscriber

Thumbs up WWII Heavy bomber a.p.u. ??

I saw a unit like this sold on eBay a while back. The auction description said that the unit was missing its gas tank but the photos showed a unit with a gas tank. I quized the seller about this and he replied that he had previously peddled the unit in a deal where the buyer only wanted the tank and hence the secondary sale was taking place. It was a very similar unit, if not........

This summer, I took extensive onboard tours of both a Consolidated B-24 Liberator and a Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress. For those who aren't familiar, those were both 4 engine heavy bombers in the U.S. Army Air Force for the duration of WWII, truly historic aircraft. The aircraft that I saw were fully restored and flying paying customers. For eight bucks, you could go on board and walk all through, excluding the cockpit, tailgun, and nose, but you could crane your neck in there too.

Each of these aircraft sported a mounted generator as auxillary power unit (a.p.u.) just like your genset. I believe they were 1500 watts, and 28 vdc (or there-abouts). The cap on the gas tank, when removed, doubles as the oil measuring cup, the instructions for mixing are cast lettering on the cap's top. That detail sticks in my mind.

I spent several hours on these aircraft and looked the gensets over fairly closely. I have one mediocre photograph of the a.p.u. on the B-17. Same as yours to the degree I can discern. The a.p.u. on the B-24 was alike. I don't know if these were standard on most or all of these aircraft. I suspect that they may not have been. I have no info about the logistics of the a.p.u. installation- military aircraft often left the factory and were flown elsewhere to get modified and equiped.

I think your gen-set is an up-and-coming collectable. I can't say for sure what exactly your unit is, but there's my guess.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:16 PM
Registered-II

That's the one.

Man, I forgot all about this thread..

I picked it up for 5 bucks, and a 15 min drive.

I have not played with it in about 4 months, but plan on getting it running this winter.

Thanks for all the Info, it helps ALOT!

Aaron
Old 12-29-2004, 11:25 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,198 Times in 1,060 Posts

For you Homelite guys info, I have a INTERTEC SMALL AIR-COOLED ENGINES SERVICE MANUAL 16th edition. This is copyrighted in 1989. ISBN: 0-87288-328-0 which has service information on the 2-stroke Homelite engine including the weird Homelite carb. Lists seven different model. Does not show any with generator. Just the diaphram and centrifucal water pumps.
You might contact Intertec Publishing Corp., P.O.Box 12901, Overland Park, KS. 66212. No web address on this book but I am sure they have one. You might contact them and see if they are still including this engine in the manuels they are printing now.

Kent
Old 05-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Registered-I

Hello to all, new to this site and have been reading lots of generator threads. I just aquired a Homelite Generator, Model 24A115-2. It looks very similar to the one pictured. The carb appears to be about the same, but mine does not have the float feed device on the gas tank, shown in the picture. It's mentioned that the crankcase pressurizes the fuel tank. Can someone explain how this is done. I do see a small hole in the intake maniflod where the carb bolts on (like an impulse passageway for a diaphragm type carb). Is that where the crankcase pressure gets supplied to the tank? It would also seem that there should be a one way check valve from the crankcase to gas tank so that the pressure is deliverd one way to the tank. Tha generator I have will run after priming and quit. It will run if I place my hand over the carb air intake to act as a choke. I rebuilt the primer pump making new pars and it works fine and no leaks. The foot valve is working properly. I just need to know how the gas tank gets pressurized. Can anyone explain.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:34 PM
Sponsor

Gentlemen,
At the risk of throwing myself in here, I have a mint Homelite genset complete with the original spare parts kit and service manual. I have tried to scan the manual & make it available on the web, but I just havent found the time. Also I have tried outfits like Kinko's to reproduce the manual, but they refuse to reprint any copyrighted manuals!!! Do any of you know a firm that can reproduce this manual? I'm located in upstate NY, near Albany.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Registered-I

Hello Mr Teal. I'm also from upstate NY. If you want you could send me the manuel and I could scan it and put it in PDF format so that it could be sent to other members. I collect and restore chainsaws and have converted all my manuels/IPS's to PDF format so that they could be shared by others. If you want email me and we'll see what we can do. Take care. Lewis Brander.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Sponsor

The manual reads:

"Operating Principle: Fuel is fed to the carburetor from the fuel container sump by crankcase pressure which forces the fuel through the feed line inside the carburetor to the venturi where it is vaporized and drawn into the cylinder"

"Priming Pump: Choking or priming of the carburetor is accomplished by pulling up and pushing back quickly the plunger button above air cleaner on the carburetor. If the engine fails to start (providing the fuel shut-off valve is open) the priming pump may not be delivering fuel to the carburetor. To check this, take out screw holding air cleaner cap to cylinder shield and air cleaner adapter to carburetor body and rotate approx 180 degrees. The carburetor bowl is then exposed to view. Operate pump 2 or 3 times and observe if fuel is delivered to carburetor bowl. If not, lift off the air cleaner assy and put a few drops of oil in priming pump tube. Replace and recheck. If pump still does not operate, remove pressure line from carburetor cover and take off cover. Disconnect suction tube fitting on underside of cover, using care not to lose small ball valve and spring within this fitting. Clean and reassemble by replacing ball and spring, tapered end down. Also remove carburetor cover valve spring screw and clean ball valve and seat. Reassemble ball and spring the same as in the suction tube fitting. If pump does not work after reassembly, see instructions in Para 5."

Paragraph 5, Filter and Fuel Lines:
(b) If fuel does not flow freely, empty container through filler opening. Remove filter and valve in fuel container. Clean filter and valve; reassemble. Note that in replacing valve cutout section in large or bottom end is to face front to permit installation of set screw. Spring goes between valve and hex plug."

The drawing of the carb and fuel container assy shows a feed & pressure line assy running straight down from the plunger knob to a cast sump in the bottom of the tank. Within this feed & pressure line assy is the first ball & spring. The drawing also shows a vent tube running from the top of the tank
up to the carb bowl. Also under the tank is another casting that contains the valve ball & spring (taller of the 2 hex plugs) and the filter (shorter hex plug).

I'll copy this drawing, scan it and email it to you later today. We can also discuss copying the manual. Good luck, looks like a lot of parts in there, and plenty of passages to clog with dead gas etc. Now this drawing has made me paranoid. Gotta run some fresh fuel thru my engine tonite..........
Old 05-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Registered-I

Hello Mr. Teal. If you look under the thread Homelite 24A-2, by Waterlooboy2hp, you find that I have my generator going and I've also posted some pics. I you wanted to copy (photo copy) your manuels and send them to me, so that you could keep the originals, I'd take the copies and convert them to PDF format and send them back to you. Take care. Lewis Brander.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Registered

I have a homelite dc generator model 8d28-12 .I thought it was a army engine but it is yellow what service would it be in.the main problem is it will run as long as you spray starting fluid in the carb but it would get any gas to the carb and the primer won't pump anything and could anyone tell me what year it is.ANY reply's would be appreciated.thanks