Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Motors General Discussion Antique Generators, Light Plants and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Motors General Discussion

Coleman Generator

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 6128 times

Old 09-12-2004, 06:00 PM
Arthur

Default Coleman Generator

I have a Coleman Maxa 5000 ER Plus generator. The slip ring disc is not tracking and has caused so much movement in the brushes,that it has fatigued one wire until it broke completely in two. 2 allen screws hold this disc to the end of the armature. How do I separate the 2 wires drom this disc so I can separate the disc and determine why this happened and maybe straighten it up? Thank you for any help,I'm trying to find a manual locally,no luck last week. Arthur Ps. It is Mod.No.PM0525302.01
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2004, 09:04 PM
clifton clowers

Default Re: Coleman Generator

art, here is a basic parts diagram from coleman.I bought a repair manual off the internet for small ac gensets,but it doesn't cover what you are trying to fix.Play it by ear or look for another armature. I replaced an engine on one last year,took a year to find one with the right shaft,but I got it for little bit at auction. If it has a plastic endbell,look it over carefully as in cold weather the bearing can spin and warp the plastic with heat and can cause some tracking problems/Keep them inside in winter.some have metal endbells. regards, clifton

PMO525302 PDF file
Old 09-13-2004, 10:34 PM
Arthur

Hello Clifton,your response and advice is very much appreciated. I'm sure I could make this repair if there was a way to re attach the wires to the carrier. It runs concentric and shows little wear, but this wobble is terriable.The engine runs like new. I think I'll play it by ear and see if I can whip this bugger. More proof of run it till it quits and throw it in the trash. Thanks also for the pdf,you have been very helpful. Take care and best regards. Arthur
Old 09-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Jim Thomas

Not to sound too harsh, but Coleman generators are basically "run them until they break, then throw them away" types.

There were/are numerous failures of your model generator due to the plastic used in the end bell which caused the problem you described as well as other problems. There was a service bulletin from Coleman and they were fixing for free some of these units. They didn't issue a recall, but if you brought it in to a Coleman authorized dealer, and rasied a stink, they would fix it for free. You might want to see if this program is still active.

Jim Thomas
Old 09-14-2004, 02:36 PM
Arthur

Hello Jim,thanks for the tip and I appreciate the information. I have a newer one with a B&S engine that did fine the one and only time I have needed it. I e mailed Coleman and asked for a manual,slip ring carrier and price. they said it was not replaceable,and sent me a price list for a rotor only. If I can figure a way to get the wires apart so I can get them back together,I believe I can handle the rest. The end bell bearing area may have already been altered. The rest of it is too good to trash. Best regards and thanks again for responding. Arthur
Old 09-14-2004, 04:21 PM
Howard Yoshida

Aloha,

Post some clear pictures of the problem area and maybe someone can figure out a fix.

Mahalo, Howard
Old 09-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Arthur

Hello Friend,thats a good idea and thank you for the suggestion.The big problem is I don't know how to post pictures yet. Regards Arthur
Old 10-31-2004, 12:41 PM
REDSIL

I am a generator repairman and have run into the same problems. The fix is easy. The 2 wires from the "armature" (rotor) are soldered to the slip rings and you can get at them with a small soldering iron easily. I fix them all the time. As far as tracking, make sure the stator (field coils) are on and in place and rig up a pointer to show the high and low spots on the slip ring. You can usually correct the lows by putting thin washers between the plastic piece and armature under the allen bolts. Keep shipping until you get it right. The Coleman part number for brushes for most gensets is #0050439, Capacitor #0034819-01. Hope this helps. Don/t toss it - fix it. The end bell is just plastic and the needle bearing just needs a solid place to sit. JB Weld does wonders. Goop it up, put it together & let it sit overnight. Good luck. Don
Old 10-31-2004, 03:47 PM
Arthur

Hello Don, I appreciate the good advice. I'm trying to locate a used rotor. In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out why the rotor started hitting the stator in the first place. My rotor is shot,so I think that is all I need. Theres no sign that it was struck on the endbell or stator housing. It could have been assembled a little bit off to start with because it appears to have been repaired at the endbell bearing and slip ring carrier. Don are you located anywhere in NC.? Best regards and thanks for your reply. Arthur Ps. thanks for the parts no's.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Registered-I

I have the same generator. How do you solder the two wires from the rotor onto the slip ring? I've used a soldering gun and had no luck.