Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Naming old Oil Companies

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 3741 times

Old 09-14-2004, 07:22:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,329 Times in 807 Posts
Default Naming old Oil Companies

I would guess, Standard Oil Company would be one of the oldest. What name did it use in modern times, Also What does Texaco, stand for? How did the name "Shell" come about? and who are they now? Who is now the "Pure" Oil co.? Which Company still goes by the old name? ( Jeff Gordon, hint hint) Other names of gas/oil companies, I can remember in this area: Sinclair, Lion, Esso. Help jog my memory.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2004, 07:44:24 PM
Doug Waggonner

Default Re: Tonight's trivia

I know that Pure Oil turned into "76" Phillips 66 has always had the same name. But now I think there is also a little Ammaco sign un the the phillips 66
Old 09-14-2004, 07:51:25 PM
David in KCK

Texaco I was told ment Texas Oil Co, Standard and Amoco (American Oil Co) are a couple of the oldest, I worked for Amoco for almost 15 years until they were bought out by BP (British Petrol).

David In KCK
Old 09-14-2004, 10:11:45 PM
Mike Royster

You are correct that Standard Oil is one of the oldest. With the breakup of Standard Oil under the Antitrust Act, Esso is one of the many brands used to "skirt the law". Esso is nothing more than the acronym, "S O" = Standard Oil. While Pure and Sinclair have come and gone in many areas, they have actually never left us. Sinclair has always existed in the midwest and Pure operates under the license of SOJC, Southeast Oil Jobbers Co-op. Gulf Oil, forced to sell by Mesa to Chevron, split off to Standard owned 52% by BP. Chevron retained the license to Gulf, still operated out of the New England states by Cumberland Farms. Exxon bought Mobil, BP bought Amoco, Shell bought Texaco, then sold the lube division to Chevron. BP then bought Castrol's lube division. Confused? Keep watching the papers, more to come! Been in the oil business all my life and change is the only constant factor!
Old 09-14-2004, 10:19:54 PM
Byron Roberts

Its 185.9 in ohio ...Where do I find gas cheaper..Don't even want to think about over the big pond..Byron
Old 09-14-2004, 11:04:30 PM
BobRR

Thats a switch. Its a 1.73 here in S.E. Mi. usaly when I get to ohio its a .10 cheaper. I know Im not going to get all the standard oil spin offs but here goes Standard oil, socal,esso,amocco,chevron and now Bp are all linked at some point.I know that Im missing at least one.? BobRR
Old 09-14-2004, 11:05:30 PM
Glenn Karch

Gas on the Pilot sign just across I 64 from my house says $1.659 for unleaded regular.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:49:50 PM
Craig Anderson

Consider yourself lucky Byron!!! Up here in Central Wisconsin it's $1.909--down from $1.999 about 3 weeks ago.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:01:10 AM
Mac Leod

Ca is 200.9+! Argg, if I run my engine as much as I would like to I'll never be able afford another one.

Mac Leod
Old 09-15-2004, 12:07:03 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts

I saw a place in NJ on 130S with gas at $1.689 while I was on 130N with a 3/4 tank full . My usual stop was $1.719 this morning on a $57 fill up . I had 5 gallons in the engine can on this one. Paul , getting ready for a "BREAK"
Old 09-15-2004, 12:20:14 AM
David Greenwalt

Ditto on the 57 dollars, Paul. My truck has a 30 gallon tank and it really takes a bite out of the wallet to fill it plus a couple of cans up. 1.79 here in southeastern Ohio. David.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:57:23 AM
Andrew Mackey

Standard I believe becams ESSO. ESSO was in turn sued for copy-right infringement, by a little oil company, and after many years of acrimonius legal action (Esso tried to kill the little outfit with legal entanglements - typical for big business) They lost! They had to pay all legal fees and the little guys were awarded a big punitive bonus. The little guys didn't want the name ESSO used by the big guys, not even under license. The big guys - now nameless, decided that they didn't want to go thru that again, so they had a computer make up a name that did not exist anywheres in the world. The computer came up with the name EXXON. It is still in use! Andrew
Old 09-15-2004, 05:22:09 AM
Simon, Scotland UK.

This side of the pond it costs me £75-80 (110 plus Dollars) to fill up my 85 Blazer.

80 odd percent of that is tax. Add to that the £180 (250 Dollars) road tax you pay every year for each car you have on the road, none of which the government put back into improving the road network (unless you live within 50 miles of London), then you might start to realise how frustrated and annoyed everyone over here is.

A few years back the fuel protesters nearly brought the government to its knees (they severely underestimated the amount of public support for the protesters).

It used to be that as soon as the price of crude oil even threatened to go up our fuel prices would rocket but it would take weeks after the price of crude fell before our fuel prices started to come down (if they actually did come down). Now they have to think twice about what they are doing.

We're currently paying between 80.9p and 85.9p a litre of diesel just now (why couldn't they just keep it at gallons, so much for freedom of choice).

I'm starting to rant a bit now.

Regards Simon.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:59:09 AM
Vernon

It's as low as 1.61 here in south Texas. I guess it pays to live close to the refineries, (if you don't mind the cancer from air polution). I think it's not the price of crud that affects the price from state to state as it is the tax each state puts on it's gas. I feel for you people in liberal states.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:20:46 PM
BobRR

Well I spoke to soon! Same station I filled up yesterday for 1.73 for reg. this morning is 1.99 Glad I at least got the 35gal tank in my work van full! Now just have to fill up the 32gal tank in my pick up ! I remember the other old standard oil co. it is S.O.N.Y. BobRR
Old 09-15-2004, 05:37:10 PM
Byron Roberts

Same Here:: Came home at lunch same station was 197.9....207.7.....217.9....Im sure its the same gas that was there yesterday..Somebody is making Money..Byron
Old 09-15-2004, 10:28:07 PM
David in KCK

Unfortunately, it is the same gas as yesterday, but they are raising what it costs the owner of the station to pump it even though it is in the ground already! I worked for a good man for a long time at an Amoco Station in Independence MO. The oil companys try their best to screw EVERYBODY....even their own people selling their product!! I remember having "fire sales" to get our gallons sold up. We got a bonus if we pumped "X" amount of gallons, and if we were short, the ouner would figure how many gallons he needed to sell and dropped the price 30-40 cents a gallon for a few hrs. Allways worked...and us guys in the shop spent the day directing trafic (couldn't get cars in/out of the shop). Amoco stopped the bonus program when they realized that we could make "quota" by doing this. They didn't want to help the little guy, they just wanted to dangle the corn cob in front of your nose and never let you reach it!!!

David In KCK
Old 01-02-2005, 11:01:57 PM
Sky

Default Re: Naming old Oil Companies

speaking of the naming old oil company's, im not sure if this is an oil company or not but i know they don't have the old Gargoyle stuff that those letter model Briggs & Strattons recommend on there I.D. tags, or do they still have that stuff and noone told me.
Gargoyle mobiloil "A"
Gargoyle mobiloil Arctic
or mobiloil Arctic S.A.E. NO. 20

i know there is still mobiloil out there but not the other part of the name(s)
inless i wasn't aware of something.

i do know there's quakerstate oil, wich is old. i wouldn't know much about mobiloil cuz i always and would rather run quakerstate in my engines. thats some good oil, to me the best on the market.
and about penzoil, i wont touch that stuff, i've had experience with that stuff, bad experience

but in conclusion, thats the oil's i know, o ya, coastaloil to but thats probably a new company or sumthin.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:27:58 PM

Thanked 17,701 Times in 5,299 Posts

HART REFINERIES of Missoula, Montana.
That's only ONE of the things that Charles Hart was doing after he left his name's sake company: Hart Parr Company of Charles City, Iowa.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:20:34 AM
In Memory Of

$1.56 here east of Salem, oregon