Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Best story on Creative Engine Utilization

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 3060 times

Old 10-27-2004, 07:18:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,329 Times in 807 Posts
Default Best story on Creative Engine Utilization

What is your best story on secondary use for the stationary engine. Mine: The farmer, who rose early to milk, started the engine to run the vacuun pump for the milking machines, he would then drop a couple of eggs from the hen house in the water hopper. When he finished milking, he retrieved the BOILED eggs, and had his breakfast.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2004, 08:53:39 AM
David Greenwalt

Default Re: Best story on 2nd Usage

Hi Pat, can't think of anything with engines, but I'd like to tell you what we would do on the farm. We would back the old 52 Dodge up to the the hammer mill, jack up and take off the back wheel and run a belt to the mill. The feed shoot would run the milled corn into the back of the truck and when we got a load we would put the wheel back on and drive the truck down to the barn or to a neighbor's to sell. David.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:18:44 PM
Dick Hamilton

Default Re: Best story on 2nd Usage

Gee Pat, that sounds a northerners story. Especially from an old Red-neck. Dick (Doug's dad)in the cooling down Finger Lake regionof New York.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:30:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,629 Times in 1,049 Posts
Default Lunch

There used to be a man named Bob Logan that used to boil corn in the hoppers of his engines at the shows in PA and Ohio. I have baked potatoes in the ash pan of steam engines, put chicken in the smokebox in foil, and cooked hot dogs and other items. Someday I want to get a stainless milking can so I can make a corn steamer. So far I am still alive, so I guess it was all cooked ok!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 10:10:47 PM
Registered-III

Default Best story on second use

My father was a masonry contractor and had many cement mixers that used International LA and LB hopper cooled engines. Often in the winter we would tie a can of beans, stew or spigette with bailing wire and hang them in the hopper for 1/2 hr or so to warm them. I remember that even in Southern California our hands and feet would get pretty cold and that those hot lunches were nice. When we were on a job that had an electric or air cooled mixer we had to build a fire to take the chill off. Those beans and such sure were good and so are the memories. Even though most of my engines are Hit and Miss I still have some of those Internationals, one and a half of which are from the ones my father had.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:31:47 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Best story on Creative Engine Utilization

I put my 12 hp oil city boiler works-a c thomas conversion halfbreed engine on a 1936 Allis Chalmers WC tractor & and drive the tractor with a flat belt to the tractor belt pulley!
Old 12-06-2004, 01:39:04 PM
Chris Curtis

I have seen your tractor- quite an impressive contraption! You should post a picture here as most guys won't believe it till they see it. I checked it out last summer and I'm still shaking my head- Good job!
Old 02-12-2005, 12:42:31 AM
Subscriber

Thanks Chris! I had a blast showing it last year! Sorry it took so long to reply, I'm still learning about windows! Here goes a try.
http://Geocities websites CLOSED in 2009/hunter43316/engine.jpg Jim
Old 02-12-2005, 02:03:21 AM

Thanked 17,702 Times in 5,299 Posts

Here ya go!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
engine.jpg  
Old 04-11-2005, 11:21:41 AM
Marlin K

Smile Re: Best story on Creative Engine Utilization

In my younger days I had a John Deere 620 tractor and when I would go out plowing for all day on the place away from home I would lay a can of beans on the manifold and then I would make one round and then my beans would be hot and ready to eat. Best part was nobody else was out there to know I had the beans.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:13:29 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,020 Posts
Exclamation Re: Best story on Creative Engine Utilization

A friend used to put a can of beans in the hopper of a 5 HP economy engine he used to saw wood. One day, he forgot about the beans, and the can exploded, blowing beans and steaming hot water all over the place . It took a week to get all the bean residew out of the hopper, and the engine still smells of beans and molasses when hot!
Andrew
Old 04-23-2005, 03:37:12 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,052 Times in 733 Posts

Nice rig! Must work really good