Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Money spent (restoring and collecting engines)

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2580 times

Old 11-01-2004, 08:00:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,329 Times in 807 Posts
Thumbs up Money spent (restoring and collecting engines)

Remembering my first engine, a 3hp ZC Fairbanks, Which is a fine runner, now, I recall how, now, I could have found one either restored or complete, for much less than I spent on that one. But, It was my first one, and I wanted to see it run. Had the Head brazed, found a mag and gear, Made the oil sump, in the crankcase, made linkage, found valves, and wound my own valve spring, re-sleeved the engine, and installed new rings. bought a mixer from Hit & Miss, boutht new gas tank, probably spent $800.00 fixin that thing. I love to hear it run. Its' kinda like a member of the family. Anyone else had similar experience with an engine, be it there first, or there fathers, or grandfathers engine, or an engine from someone special, or a special engine?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2004, 10:16:40 PM
Tanner Remillard

Default Re: Money spent

I am 21 years old and I have a 2 1/2 H.P. Stover W (that is fairly large for 2 1/2 H.P.!) that was bought new by my great uncles father back in about 1912. It was a fun and at some times, a very challenging restoration. I had to use a 50 ton press to get the piston out, as our 30 ton would not do it! I had to find a few missing parts which were hard to come by, but I did eventually get them all which were to my suprise. The best thing of all was when I got it finally restored and started it up for my great uncle, who is now 89. I had never seen him smile like that before, being the John Wayne type cattle rancher that he is. It was the best feeling in the world. He told me he could remember it running when he was a kid, so he had probably not heard her run in 70 years.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:34:36 PM
Donald Kuhl

Default Re: Money spent

I introduced my fiancee to the engine hobby that I have enjoyed my entire life about 4 years ago. We attended several shows that summer so I could break her into the experience. At one show we went to about mid-summer, I saw a 3 H.P. Galloway that called to me as you know engines sometimes do. I refrained from purchasing the engine as we had up and coming nuptuals to pay for.

Some time passed.

We went to the Portland, IN fall show and I saw a 4 Associated that called in the same way. This one I could not resist. We were near to our wedding date and had a little extra money to spend, so I proposed (again) to her if I could buy the engine.

She began asking all kinds on questions regarding the other Galloway engine and which I liked better. She began getting all flustered and then admited a big suprise... Shortly after other show, she hunted down the Galloway and bought the engine for me as a wedding gift. She said that she still approved if I wanted to get the Associated, but she wanted me to know of the Galloway before I make the investment.

Here is the kicker.... the guy that sold the Galloway to my wife was the same guy that had the Associated for sale. He knew the entire time I was looking over the Associated that I was getting the Galloway. I was clueless to his identity. I ended up getting the Associated as well and we all had a good laugh. The gentleman that sold the two engines to us is now a good friend and we talk often when we see him at the shows.

I have a special wife and two very specially aquired engines.

DK
Old 04-05-2005, 05:20:58 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,052 Times in 733 Posts
Default Re: Money spent (restoring and collecting engines)

I spent a little over 400 on parts for my 1930 fh. Spent 250 on a model a and b briggs shipped um up from Texas. 5 on my ap I'm working on nothing on my Kohler yet. about 30 worth of material on a clinton I'm restoring for someone else so far thats it