Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Stump Puller

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 3795 times

Old 08-18-2004, 11:11 AM
ihorse

Default Stump Puller

I have this big horse powered unit to winch stumps out of the ground--big heavy winch-- it says-- KENWOOD--in raised letters on the cable drum---the question is---would this be a SEARS unit??? thanks d,j,
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2004, 11:16 PM
David in KCK

Default Re: Stump Puller

I saw a write up on them somewhere....they were mounted on crawlers too. Looked like a good outfit. Not a Sears thing I don't believe, but has been some time ago.

David
Old 08-18-2004, 11:55 PM
Patrick McNallen

I've got one of those. I wasn't sure what it was, but I figured it had to be animal powered and decided it must be a stump puller. It says Kenwood on it and has a couple of 1898 patent dates. I think it says # 6 on it too. It has a heavy wire cable, maybe 7/8" on it with an odd hook-like fixture on the end that looks like you could take a wrap around a stump with the line and then hook it to make a choker. I assumed it was put on a wooden skid and dragged to the stump patch, then chained off to a couple of stumps and the line hooked to a third stump. It looks like it would have had a long wooden beam attached to the big saddle on the drum spindle and maybe hooked to a couple of mules.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:57 PM
BobRR

D.J. Are you thinking Kenmore? Kenwood makes car radios now. BobRR
Old 08-19-2004, 09:05 AM
Andre' Blanchard

Here is a web page with a scan of a Sears catalog page that shows steam engines being sold under the brand name of Kenwood. If they were selling engines under that brand it is likely they were also selling stump pullers.

Andre' B. Clear Lake, Wi.

Kenwood
Old 08-19-2004, 12:02 PM
ihorse

Default Stump Puller

Mine is [EXACTLY] like the one Patrick described eailer in the post--it does say KENWOOD. D,J,
Old 08-19-2004, 06:43 PM
Chck Balyeat

They sold Stickneys badged as Kenwoods , why not ?
Old 08-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Randy Gauny

I used to deal in horse drawn eqipment, and one of the neat things about the use of a stump puller was the need to atach to a pulling stump or in many cases a pulling tree. If you pass by a cleared field and see only one remaining tree standing a by its self.. you guessed it, we called those the pulling tree. A great place to coold both teams and teamsters. When I see one i think of all the hard pulling it took to clear that field.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:29 PM
Frank Y

Wow. I never thought of that. Always wondered why there was only one tree in the large open field. Thanks Randy for the history lesson! Frank Y
Old 08-19-2004, 09:23 PM
Tom G

Default KENWOOD

KENWOOD was an old Sears brand name, many years ago. I believe that windmills were also sold under that name.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:31 PM
BobRR

Default Re: KENWOOD

I stand corrected. And have learned 3 things off this thread! Sears sold things under the name off Kenwood, they sold steam tractors and why there is that lone tree in the middle of a field! BobRR
Old 08-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Patrick McNallen

Some one mentioned that these things were used on crawlers. The guy I got mine from thought it was from a very old dozer. I thought he was mistaken, and that it was definitely an animal powered device. How would you use something like this with a dozer? Mules could step over or around stumps, but a tractor running in a circle (?)would have to run over them.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:26 AM
David in KCK

All I know is that they had a LARGE Winch in the dozer....I really don't know how they worked.

David
Old 09-12-2004, 06:52 PM
Kalona

I know someone who would be really interested in buying the Kenwood (#6) stump puller. Thinking of selling?