Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Hydrogen

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 870 times

Old 09-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Jake

Default Hydrogen

Has anybody ever heard anything about running an internal compustion engine on hydrogen gas (similar to running on LP)? I saw it in a magazine called "Farm Show" a couple of years ago, and as an engineering student, got interested. I just havent been able to find out much on the subject. Thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2004, 04:40 PM
Chris Kirk

Default Re: Hydrogen

Jake -

Search under "fuel cell", and you'll find lots of information on hydrogen as fuel. It's not simply a matter of piping in hydrogen as you would propane for the simple reason that when you burn hydrogen, you're combining it with oxygen, and the results is H2O, or water.

Chris
Old 09-14-2004, 05:41 PM
John G

The problem with hydrogen is the gas molecules are very small. In fact, hydrogen is the smallest atom on the chart. Therefore it is very difficult to contain in a tank without it leaking out. And of course it is a little explosive.

Here is a link to a fuel cell info web site.

Fuel Cell Info
Old 09-14-2004, 06:28 PM
Vernon

Those atoms are really small. I dropped one the other day,(yes hydrogen is lighter then air), and had to borrow a magnifying glass to find it. One other thing, it takes more energy to make hydrogen then you get burning it. That's why it isn't used much for a fuel.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:24 PM
Patrick M Livingstone

Engines such as this slide-valve Crossley use Hydrogen for the ignition flame while the engine fuel is LPG.

Old 09-14-2004, 07:25 PM
Keven Withers

We run our 3/4 scale model Otto-Langen Atmospheric engine on hydrogen.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:22 AM
Andrew Mackey

Hydrogen has been around a long time. As a motor fuel, it is not too pratical, as there is no distribution available yet, and the BTU losses are a little extreme. (for example, Propane: 25% loss of power, 25% more fuel used - liquid volume compared to gasoline) and natural gas (LNG) is worse - an approximate 40% loss. Hydrogen is even worse than LNG. Pressure vessels are not practical, however Liquified hydrogen is being researched as you read. Right now fuel cells are the most effecient users of hydrogen as a fuel, to date. The output is heat, electricity, and water. Easily rechargable, renewable resources, environmentally clean and effecient! Andrew
Old 09-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Brian Decatur co. Ia

I've been running my small engines, Briggs, Clinton, etc on E-85. Its similar to Hydrogen in that it doesn't produce as much power as gasoline. I noticed that the mixture needles need to be turned out about 1.5 turns on the average. E-85 burns much cleaner than gasoline. I've noticed that they won't produce any black smoke even when choked. The oil doesn't get as black either.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:38 PM
Don C. Wiley

Brian;

Some folks say you shouldn't run 10% Ethenol in your car. I've been using it here in Southern Illinois for a long time.

Most foks don't know what E-85 is. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that 85% Ethenol? I wish they had it here in Southern Illinois. If every one used the E-85 it would sure put the hurtin' on the foreign oil companies and would help end our depending on all the over seas oil, not to mention helping the farmers growing the renewable plants to make the Ethenol. Corn is one plant they use and they are experementing with others.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois
Old 09-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Craig Anderson

I agree with you completely but there is one fault with Ethanol: It currently takes MORE energy to produce it than what you get out of it. Even so, it's money that STAYS in the US, helps the farmers out AND creates jobs---LOTS of them. Craig