Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

How Much Can I Grind The Crankshaft?

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2132 times

Old 10-14-2004, 06:22 PM
edurand

Default How Much Can I Grind The Crankshaft?

I'm beginning the restoration of my 2 HP 1897 F-M Jack of All Trades engine. The main journals on the crankshaft are worn about 0.025".

In order to be able to get the crankshaft over new main bushings, I will also have to grind the same amount off of the area where the flywheels clamp to the shaft.

The diameter of the shaft where the flywheels clamp is 1.5". The question is, if I grind the shaft to 1.475", will I be able to clamp the 2-bolt flywheels onto this diameter without overstressing (or cracking!!!) the hub of the flywheel.

If I can't do this, I will have to get the shaft sprayed-up and ground to 1.500. Your input will be appreciated.

Thanks and take care - Elden

Elden's Junky Web Page
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2004, 07:19 PM
Jim Tremble

Default Re: How Much Can I Grind The Crankshaft?

Hey Elden

I would say NO !!!! .025 would be a very sloppy fit and I doubt you could tighten the wheel on the shaft with out damage.

I found a product sold by Enco last night. Titanium Putty. It is made for shaft repair. You can grind it, drill it, tap it and other such things.

I would compare that to the cost of a spray repair.

www.use-enco.com search for titanium putty,

Hope this helped,

Jim
Old 10-14-2004, 07:56 PM
neill06

what I would do is get some shim stock and put it inside of the flywheel when you put it back on the engine
Old 10-14-2004, 08:15 PM
Al Wait

NO,NO,NO. Do not grind the shaft or use shimstock. The flywheels will never be tight, and I would not want to be at the same show with it when it runs. Stop looking for the cheap way out. Pay the money and get the shaft built up and reground. Al Wait
Old 10-14-2004, 08:28 PM
J.B. Castagnos

Too nice an engine to shortcut Elden, bite the bullet and get it done right. They can go oversize and you can refit the same bushings. I welded my shaft myself and turned it in the lathe, this shaft was bent and rusty, turned out nice.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:22 AM
BobRR

Way to nice of engine to cheat on.I know that a loose fitting flywheel will not stay put even with the key, shims,pinned, loctite or any other shaft repair glue. I had a Ideal that had a loose(would go on with a little effort) fitting flywheel and tried it all. Had to replace the flywheel! So dont recommend turning your shaft down.BObRR
Old 10-15-2004, 09:04 AM
edurand

Guys:

Thanks for the responses and advice. I had my doubts anyway so this clinches it. I'll just bite the bullet and get the shaft sprayed-up and ground to the standard 1.500" diameter.

Since I've already ordered the bronze tube for making the bushings (3-5/8" long, each!), I'll just go to standard.

BTW, I've updated my webpage below.

Take care - Elden

Elden's Junky Web Page