Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Stationary Steam & Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stationary Steam & Traction Engines Antique steam engines, traction engines, their boilers and the related things that make them run.

Stationary Steam & Traction Engines

scale model steam tractors

Where about can you find casting kits, plans and so on to built scale model steam tractors? I see...

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 10010 times

Old 10-16-2004, 10:47 PM
Tanner Remillard

Default scale model steam tractors

Where about can you find casting kits, plans and so on to built scale model steam tractors? I see alot of the 1/4 scale Case tractors around and others. I would like to get some and machine one or two of them.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: scale model steam tractors

coles power models has castings for 1/4 scale and 1/2 scale case engines.

-Ethan
Old 07-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,196 Times in 378 Posts

Hi, just a wee bit of a correction on Cole Power. They have 1" and 2" CASE 65 engines. They do not carry the 1/4" and 1/2" scale. They also have a lot of table top engines starting at 5/8" bore. There are several threads with a lot of info on where to buy and the associated links. Happy hunting and machining. Salute, Larry
The Following User Says Thank You to Case Place:
Old 07-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,804 Times in 579 Posts

I believe John Haley is making the 1/2 scale 110 castings available. Lloyd Creed has the 1/2 scale 65hp Case casting sets available, and Reduction Engineering in North Dakota has the 1/3 scale 65hp Case engine. I'm not sure if the 1/4 scale casting sets are available anymore since Terning's son is no longer in the business. I'm not sure if the patterns are sold to anyone or just sitting in limbo. I believe the 1/4 or is it a 1/3 scale 32CC Reeves is available. Not certain on that one. I believe there is either 1/2 &/or 5/8 scale 23/90 Baker castings available. There might be others out there that I haven't mentioned or am aware of, but these are the one's I'm familiar with.

Hope this helps.

Lawrence
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaarScott:
Old 07-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,196 Times in 378 Posts

The other option is British engines, did I just say that? They do have a lot to offer in the way of casting for a various assortment of engines and even steam powered trucks. "Reeves" is a good place to start. I even considered building one of the "Showman" engines for my next project, they do offer it in several different scales. But I have settled pretty much on Cole Power's American La France steam powered fire engine for my next project. Salute, Larry
Old 07-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Allen

Question Re: scale model steam tractors

Quote:
I would like to get some and machine one or two of them.
Curious if you are an experienced machinist with copious spare time and/or nothing to do at work, or no clue what's actually involved???? (think - several thousand hours of machine time and hundreds of dollars just in materials NOT provided with the 'kit')

If the latter, can I suggest getting the 1/3 scale Case plans book, The Rudy Kohoupt book, or the 'Minnie' plans, and a Stuart, PM Research or Tiny Power stationary engine kit first? Not trying to rain on your parade, just don't want to see another 1/6 built kit 'season' under the workbench until half of it gets lost, tossed, and then sold at your estate sale. Trying to start with something that complex, if it is beyond your current abilities, will just lead to heartbreak 99% of the time.

Some more questions you need to ask yourself before you just jump in are; 1. Can you devote the time and money away from your family and other obligations for a year or more to build this thing in a timely manner (at 2 or 3 parts per day of sustained effort it will take about that long from rough castings) 2. Realistically, CAN you build a SAFE boiler, or will you need to have it/them made? 3. Do you have a. access to ALL the machines you'll need, and b. a dry, safe place to store all those little fiddly bits you are going to make until you are ready to assemble them? (pieces parts take up about 5 times the space of the finished project) 4. What size are you actually capable of building? Larger parts are easier to machine, but are more expensive and require larger machines to do the work/ smaller parts are easier to handle, but accuracy and precision of work is MUCH MUCH more critical. (1/3 scale is about a compromise size - big enough to ride, small enough to haul around, and a boiler that will still fit under ASME section I part PMB)

If you are still serious AJ Reeves has/had a BUNCH of different English outline engine casting sets (which is, in reality, all you get about anywhere) in various scales. There WAS a place in Canada (Heartland?) that had 1/3 scale Sawyer-Massey and Reeves, I think. Not sure they are even still around.

Or, if your mechanical abilities are up to it, you can always freescale or reverse engineer an engine without the crutch of someone else's plans.....
Old 07-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Registered-III

It's amazing a thread that was started over 4 years ago can come to life Thats what makes this such a great place to hang out. I'm glad to see the younger generation inspired to attempt building a model of anything. As has been said by many...Rome wasn't built in a day and it does take alot of time to fab a model. So I hope you younger people don't get frustrated and give up. Good things come to those who wait. My first try at anything when I was young wasn't the greatest and still sometimes isn't Another thing to think about is a Mammod model steamer. A very inexpensive way to start and have fun. I still get mine out every now and again to play
Brad

Last edited by casesteam12; 07-29-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,344 Times in 859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Curious if you are an experienced machinist with copious spare time and/or nothing to do at work, or no clue what's actually involved???? (think - several thousand hours of machine time and hundreds of dollars just in materials NOT provided with the 'kit')

If the latter, can I suggest getting the 1/3 scale Case plans book, The Rudy Kohoupt book, or the 'Minnie' plans, and a Stuart, PM Research or Tiny Power stationary engine kit first? Not trying to rain on your parade, just don't want to see another 1/6 built kit 'season' under the workbench until half of it gets lost, tossed, and then sold at your estate sale. Trying to start with something that complex, if it is beyond your current abilities, will just lead to heartbreak 99% of the time.

Some more questions you need to ask yourself before you just jump in are; 1. Can you devote the time and money away from your family and other obligations for a year or more to build this thing in a timely manner (at 2 or 3 parts per day of sustained effort it will take about that long from rough castings) 2. Realistically, CAN you build a SAFE boiler, or will you need to have it/them made? 3. Do you have a. access to ALL the machines you'll need, and b. a dry, safe place to store all those little fiddly bits you are going to make until you are ready to assemble them? (pieces parts take up about 5 times the space of the finished project) 4. What size are you actually capable of building? Larger parts are easier to machine, but are more expensive and require larger machines to do the work/ smaller parts are easier to handle, but accuracy and precision of work is MUCH MUCH more critical. (1/3 scale is about a compromise size - big enough to ride, small enough to haul around, and a boiler that will still fit under ASME section I part PMB)

If you are still serious AJ Reeves has/had a BUNCH of different English outline engine casting sets (which is, in reality, all you get about anywhere) in various scales. There WAS a place in Canada (Heartland?) that had 1/3 scale Sawyer-Massey and Reeves, I think. Not sure they are even still around.

Or, if your mechanical abilities are up to it, you can always freescale or reverse engineer an engine without the crutch of someone else's plans.....

Well as we can see this is a 5 year old post, so I haven't done it yet, and I'm a machinist by trade, so I dont think its a problem as in whats involved with machining. We have a wire edm machine, surface grinders, cnc lathes and mills, manual lathes and mills, gear making equpiment, welders and everything else to do it. We machine plastic injection molds and stamping dies with .0002 tolerances, so thats not a problem either. We can make anything. We'll get 'er done no problem if I get a casting set someday.

Last edited by Tanner Remillard; 07-29-2009 at 06:16 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tanner Remillard:
Old 07-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Registered-II

How about this! Find an engine that you want to build a model of, take a camera, a note book and a ruler. Take a lot of pictures and write down what the pictures are and the measurements. Start collecting Iron and steel and start building. Sure it will take about 7 1/2 years to do it in your spare time but when you get her completed you will have something that is a part of you. There are a lot of models out there that have been made that way and look and run pretty darn good. At least when you build it yourself if something happens or breaks you will know how to make the repairs. I have friends that have built models both ways and the general concentious is to build from scratch, because of casting sand holes ect, One friend of mine purchased his boiler and machined two sets of castings before he got a good set. It still took him almost 6 years to complete and he worked on it 6 to 8 hours a day.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to butch vollmar: