Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Need help finding make & model (Economy)

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2133 times

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 10:30:21 AM
Registered

Default Need help finding make & model

I have an old engine that's been in my family for years, but no one knows any details about it. I have cleaned on it, and I have found a tag that reads: SN 351500, RPM 400, HP 8 S, but no make or model. Going by some of the pictures that I've seen, it looks like an Economy but I'm not sure. Can anyone help? I'm interested in any pointers on restoration. i.e., cleaning, painting, things to watch. I am also interested in getting the motor back original - a distributor appears to have been added. I have never done any restoration work so I would appreciate any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2005, 11:00:03 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Need help finding make & model (Economy)

The "S" is the model. If it's got a square corner hopper it could be an Economy or if it has rounded hopper corners it's a Hercules. Both built in same plant, just sold by a different company. Try http://www.herculesengines.com for more info.

Cheers! NICK
Old 01-04-2005, 12:20:15 AM
In Memory Of

Default Re: Need help finding make & model (Economy)

Your engine was likely built in late 1926. It may have a casting date on the head and/or the cylinder. If it is an Economy, use Rust O Leum Regal Red. If it is a Hercules, use the current John Deere Green (it really ought to have a hint of olive in it). You mentioned a distributor. Someone has apparently modified the ignition. Your engine is essentially the same as the 7 HP. It was sped up and the HP rating changed.
Closed Thread