Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Stover Duro(Style AC) Questions

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 3608 times

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 11:22:55 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,140 Posts
Default Stover Duro(Style AC) Questions

Have recently acquired a couple of Stover Duros. One fairly complete on pump/engine base like in photo but missing pump. The other is missing cam gear, timing gear, throttle lever, & mag trip parts. Neither has mag but one has bracket that looks like a Wico mount. I've been researching but have found information scarce. Wendel's Power of the Past, Vol. 3 states that production totalled 1,169 engines. I think that maybe National Sewing Machine Co. bought that number but other re-taggers(Duro Pump Co., Dayton, Ohio being the largest) bought many more. One of mine has Duro Pump & Mfg. Co. tag Ser.# 101,149(circa early 1918). The other has a glued on black & gold label "Duro, Residential Water Systems, Bennett-Marsh Co. Dayton, O." No ser.# Would ser.# be stamped on engine anywhere?

I have seen some with Wico PR's, some with unknown rotary mags & some with buzz coils. I suspect that rotary mags were conversions. Can anyone confirm? Will Wico EK mount to PR bracket & will trip mechanism line up?
A copy of Stover manual would be nice but any information provided on these engines much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
pic27617.jpg   StoverDuro005.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2005, 01:52:35 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Stover Duro(Style AC) Questions

There is a pump for sale on Barn Sale.
Duro Pump for Sale
Old 01-14-2005, 07:18:32 PM
Registered-III

i have 3 duro engines,one has a wico pr mag.the other 2 have wico ek mags.sat. i'll go out in the barn and check.i would think the magnetos would interchange with no problem.i do know the engines with the magnetos seem to wear out the timing gears on these engines.if anyone has any gears for sale please let me know-chuck
Old 01-15-2005, 12:11:05 AM
Registered

Doug----I have a repro manual on the Duro. Be glad to send you a copy if you'll give me your snail mail address--Wass
Old 01-15-2005, 01:23:24 PM
Registered-III

doug,went out to barn to look at engines.the answer to your question is the wico PR and wico EK will interchange with each other.both mags have the same mounting bolt pattern.they also use the same mag mounting bracket.getting to the bracket??????? i think the bracket and trip mech.is pat'd by wico.on the large bracket that bolts to engine,mag to bracket has a cast # WICO 205.the trip mech #WICO 07.sorry i don't know how to post pictures.forgot to look at what trips the whole ass'y. it bolts on engine and works off of one the camshafts .is the cam special for this app.? i,ll have to look next time-chuck
Old 01-15-2005, 08:29:52 PM
Subscriber

Chuck,
I'm still learning on these engines but making progress. Have found correct
pump and someone who makes steel gears and an offer of a repro manual.

One of my engines is set up with Wico mag bracket but missing the two gears.... crank gear is 19 teeth. The other two are supposed to be 38 teeth ... cam gear shaft is 5/8" O.D. & the timer gear shaft is 3/8" O.D and about 2.350" apart center to center. Gears are 3/8" thick. Cam for exhaust valve has 5/8" x 3/4" bronze bushing that presses into cam & gear(cam may also be pinned to gear) … cam & gear are two separate pieces held together with bushing & pin.
The timer 28 tooth gear(for buzz coil) has timer contact cast as part of gear, i.e., gear & cam are one piece with a thin wall bronze bushing of 3/8" I.D.

My other engine is a buzz coil engine. It has a 14 tooth crank gear & other
two gears are 28 teeth, same shaft sizes & spacing between shafts appears to be the same as near as I can measure. I have all of these gears.

I have ordered two 38 tooth steel gears. What I don't have is the mag trip cam. I think I can make one if I can find one or a photo of one. I can make the exhaust valve cam by copying the one I have(I hope).

Tripping the mag apparently puts more strain on the gears than actuating the timer contact for the buzz coil and they wear out more frequently although Stover redesigned mag trip gear train using a greater number of teeth.

Photo shows the 28 tooth timer gear & timer contact.
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_0728 (Small).JPG  
Old 01-16-2005, 05:26:26 PM
Registered-III

doug.had time today to look at my duro's there all the same.the pr wico & ek wico have the same gears.crankshaft gear 19 tooth,exhaust gear 38 tooth,wico mag gear 38 tooth. what they did is use a exhaust gear for the mag gear.the only differance is on a coil setup/battery the timing gear is 38 tooth,but has a 3/8 shaft.the exhaust cam has a 5/8 shaft.what they did was use a exhaust cam 5/8 and rebushed it down to a 3/8 shaft.what you do is get a 38 tooth gear make a copy of your exhaust cam pin it like the org.what i would do is find a exhaust cam gear an make a bushing to fit.i measured both gears.the cam circle is .935 the lift is .185.if you measure the whole thing come out to 1.120 remember my gears are very worn,your's may measure something else.someone told me there used to be a co. that sold gears called the boston gear co.are they still around? -chuck
Old 01-16-2005, 05:57:04 PM
Subscriber

Yes, Boston Gear is still in business in Charlotte, NC of all places. http://www.bostongear.com/products/open/index.html
I got confused looking at all the available gears. I believe the Duro gears are 14 1/2 degree pitch angle. Thanks for checking your engines. I should be in pretty good shape now.
Closed Thread