Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

IHC M 3HP Help

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2040 times

Old 01-16-2005, 05:47:53 AM
Registered-II

Default IHC M 3HP Help

Hi all from Downunder! I am after some guidance on my 3HP M type. I purchased it some years ago in a disassembled state, so I do not have the advantage of taking photos and measurements as I take it apart. Has anyone ever written or published a manual or directions on correct order of assembly for these engines? If not can any Stakers share any tricks they have learned with these M types?

I have laid out all of the parts and everything is there, and all appears to be in good order. Just need to get a muffler, new fuel tank and glasses for the oiler. The engine is a 1918 model, but has been converted to later EK Wico and plug ignition. Due to the cost of low tension parts in Australia I will leave it this way. Any help will be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2005, 06:58:06 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,319 Times in 931 Posts
Default Re: IHC M 3HP Help

Hi Luke, I have about 600 pics of IHC Ms so they might help with the assembly of your engine. I can burn them to CD for you.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:21:44 AM
Registered-II

I know of no book written for the restoration of the Ms but if one ever gets written SIXM will be the one to write it. I fell sure he will be willing to send any info you desire your way, and if you get totally fed up I feel equally as sure that those of us on the Stak will lend you our advice, goodwill, and support as well, or just offer to buy it from you

Have a Blast
Joe M.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:09:53 AM
In Memory Of

Luke you need an instruction book for your engine. Hit-'n-Miss sells them even the parts you need.
As shown in the picture the book has lots of photos that helps you out in repair and restore the engine.
Don't hesitate to ask me, I'm always willing to help you.
Attached Thumbnails
Mbook.jpg  
Old 01-17-2005, 06:08:36 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts

I assume this is different from the operator's manual? I have a 1924 1.5hp I purchased completely disassembled and I am also clueless where everything goes. I find the operator's manual is good for operating and troubleshooting but useless for putting one together. Maybe I should stick to Deere's...
Old 01-18-2005, 04:55:00 PM
Registered-II

Thanks for replies everyone. I have since found out that the engine is a 1920 model, not 1918 as first thought. I have the operators manual and this gives some basic ideas of where things go. I will try to work it out from there. Can anyone give me a tip on which engine side plate to fit annd assemble first? Govenor side or magneto side plate - or does it not matter? Thanks again for replies. Luke Downunder.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:03:57 PM
In Memory Of

First you place the governor side bearing plate. Second you place the mag side bearing plate complete with the crank shaft and of course the gears well timed. To prevent the crank shaft going out of time you can put a hose clamp at the out side of the bearing plate. When done you can place the upper halves of the bearing plate and adjust the bearing play, review your
bearings and crank are OK.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:22:48 PM
Registered-II

Thanks John for the advise. Now I know which side to attack from I can get into it. As all of the individual engine parts had been reconditioned or renewed by the previous owner, I get the most enjoyable job to do - assembly! This is always my favourite part of resoting an engine. Thanks all, Luke
Old 01-19-2005, 10:50:27 PM
Registered-II

Question Re: IHC M 3HP Help

One more question (for now that is!) regarding the 3HP M type. Is it worth my while to disturb and remove the cylinder from the block whilst the engine is stripped down and renew the cylinder O ring? The bore is good and does not require boring etc.. If it is recommended to do the O ring, how do I go about removing the cylinder and are there any tricks in doing the O ring right first time? Thanks once again! Luke, Sydney Australia.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:35:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,287 Times in 1,434 Posts

Luke,
If it isn't broke, don't fix it! Unless it leaks water or the hopper is seriously plugged up underneath it with crud, I wouldn't mess with it. Just my 2 cents.

Mike