Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Knurling a Wrist Pin Bushing?

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2662 times

Old 01-16-2005, 05:06:05 PM
Registered-II

Default Knurling a Wrist Pin Bushing?

I was wondering if anyone had tried knurling a wrist pin bushing. In other words the same thing some do to a worn valve quide to reduce clearance. I have one that has just a few thousands too much clearance. The nominal bushing size is 1-7/8 bore x 2-5/16" OD. I can not find a stock bushing without going to a 2-1/2" brass bar stock an milling out the rest. It is on a Hvid engine and I know I would be better off with new milled components but this is sure costing a lot more than I anticipated.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2005, 05:32:21 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Knurling a Wrist Pin Bushing?

Spend the $$$ now and do it right, you will only end up spending it later by trying to cheat knurling the bushing.

Cheers! NICK
Old 01-16-2005, 07:37:01 PM
Registered-III

John...I have prick puched the crap out of a couple of wrist pins to tighten them up in the piston...seems to work just fine.....not so sure about the "high compression" HVID though...the other thing is that you wouldnt have to buy bar stock...McMaster car would carry bushing material in a hollow tubing...and I would turn it and/or bore it on the mill for free if you dont have access to machining.... Mark Congden
Old 01-17-2005, 12:44:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,455 Posts

John:

Been there, done that. It won't hold-up worth a darn - even worse on a HVID type engine because of the high compression.

I'd do what the guy suggests and check McMaster-Carr for a bronze bushing. You can get it in tubing form if a stock bushing won't work. After doing the machining, cut off the bushing and keep the rest for a rainy day.

Also, you can probably get a modern wrist pin to fit to the bushing and piston. If the old pin is worn, it will be noisy. As long as the diameter of the new pin is all right, if it's a little too long, you can grind off the excess. Just be careful to not get it hot enough to discolor.

Good luck and take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand
Old 01-17-2005, 11:14:55 PM
Registered-II

I think you all are correct. Now is not the time to go on the cheap with a Hvid engine. I will have new parts made. Thank you for your help and support.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:22:21 PM
Registered-II

Knurling is not even a good idea on valve guides, and there is virtually no pressure 90 deg to the "bushing" on those. On the wrist pin, ALL the stress is 90 deg to the bushing. Don't do it.