Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Crank Straightning procedure ????

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1613 times

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 07:45:27 PM
Subscriber

Default Crank Straightning procedure ????

I am in the process of straightning a crank in the engine and I have ran into a small problem and thought I would try to get a little advice. When setting up the dial indicator the trouble is the crankshaft has the keyway cut in it all the way to the main bearing journal area, when the indicator is set up there is no way to measure where the keyway is without the indicator tip falling into the slot. I thought about using a filler and fill the slot up temporarly till it is straightend then remove the filler (bondo). There again I am not sure how to get the bondo exactly the same height as the rest of the crank, if it is not exact it would defeat the purpose anyway. Any ideas???

Thanks
Denny
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2005, 07:52:27 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Crank Straightning procedure ????

Denny,I have turned a brass {or aluminum} sleeve to fit on the crank and took my readings off of this. Chip
Old 01-16-2005, 07:55:04 PM
Registered-II

you can buy a new point that is a flat button for your indicator from an industrial supply that sells machinist tools.That shoud let you go over the key way with no problem
Old 01-16-2005, 07:57:20 PM
In Memory Of

Hi Denny, What we do at our shop is use a broad tip that screws onto the indicator, then try not to have the indicator use any more travel (pressure) than you have to. That way when you go over the key way it doesn't "go in the hole". The other thing you can do is rotate as far as you can one way then rotate the other way so you don't have to go over the key way.
Hope this helps , Michael
Old 01-16-2005, 08:23:39 PM
Subscriber

Great ideas!!! Thanks for the input, I will let you all know how it turns out!!

Denny
Closed Thread