Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Harvey E Hanson company info?

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 4011 times

Old 01-18-2005, 08:08:30 PM
Registered

Question Harvey E Hanson company info?

I recently picked up an old Harvey E Hanson co. coil and condenser tester that didn't have any directions with it. Can anyone tell me about this company or tool? A google search doesn't turn much up and I would like to find a manual or directions and see if this old thing really works. It has a 110v plugin, black and red lead and several dials on the front. Nice old tool, just not very handy without a book!
Thanks
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2005, 06:07:44 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Harvey E Hanson company info?

Jeff some pictures might help,if no one has the info on your tester maybe someone would have one close to it.Thirty some years ago when I worked at a J D dealer we had a condenser tester that also did something else but I don"t remember what.I do remember that you would hook one lead to the cond.body the other to the wire then turn a dial or flip a switch for a few seconds to charge it,after it was charged you would touch the wire to the body to see if there was a spark,if there was the cond.was good.Don't touch a charged cond.to any body parts because you can get a pretty good shock.Hope this helps some. Mark:
Old 01-20-2005, 01:23:13 AM
Registered

Photo Re: Harvey E Hanson company info?

Thanks for your reply Mark! Take a look at the pic and see what you think. I would think that maybe any old 2 lead tester would be about the same.

Jeff
Old 01-21-2005, 08:11:53 PM
Registered-II

Thumbs up Re: Harvey E Hanson company info?

Chipflyer,
Congrats on the 'new to you' toy. Consider it a good excuse to get into ignition. You will need to create a book to go with the tester. All condensers are not the same. The old American Bosch #CW524 condenser is 0.28 to 0.32 microfarads while the AB# CW5291 is 0.337 to 0.370 microfarads. Condenser capacitance numbers are all over the place. There is no such thing as a single good number.
As for coils, the same holds true. Some coils have a primary resistance as low as 0.1 ohms and as high as 3.5 ohms. What you really need is a list of different values to compare to. Your tester probably has an internal shunt to massage the values to some generic value. That way you could read the good to bad dial output. I would simply test a known good unit and turn the dial until the proper results shoued up on the dial. I would then record the information on a table. With a little tinkering, for one evening, a decent table of unit versus meter settings could be created.
I have more modern units that sometimes cost a small fortune. They can tell if a part is bad. Unfortunately they can not tell if a part is good. Even with the instruction manual, you still must know the values of the part you are testing. I have, literally, a pickup truck load of books; and I still scratch my head in vain. I normally wind up using the SWAG method to divine values of electrical parts.
If you need specific values on certian parts; drop me a line. Cabin fever is raging here. I am also coming down with housatosis.............
Old 01-23-2005, 02:54:21 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Harvey E Hanson company info?

Chipflyer,
Something is discombobulated with my ISP's email. I am getting bouncebacks on all my outgoing. Posting is the only way to currently answer your question.

To answer your question; my books say the point gap on 246 series Edison-Splitdorf magnetos is 0.020" and the condenser capacity is 0.015 to 0.025 microfarads. The 'E' or internal timing gap is 0.020" and they give no specs on the coil. Instead a test is suggested to test the coil.

Block out the points and spin the mag at 3000RPM. Touch an ignition cable to the magneto frame and the other end in the coil quill end. Slowly draw the wire away and it should arc up to 3/32". If the 3/32" can not be achieved, renew the coil. This test must be done from contact. The coil will not achieve a 3/32" spark on its' own.

My information on Edison mags is spotty at best. I never had any and no one ever even let me play with one. I liked the American Bosch and Fairbanks Morse because I played with them more. I am magneto challenged....such a terrible thing. I also have a lot of extra parts for them too. I squirrelled those little things away because I saw the handwriting on the wall. I even bought a ton of condensers before they went bye-bye. Now I can get all the condensers for anything I want. Murphy's law...............