Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

New Way Info

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1920 times

Old 01-19-2005, 12:27:06 AM
Registered-II

Default New Way Info

Hi Guys,
I have just recieved a vertical new way, it is missing the fan & drive assembly, can anyone explain how they fit up as all i have is a stud out of the cylinder, and i want to fabricate one, also the flywheel has no groove for the drive belt, is this unusual? The mixer is also missing has anyone got any ideas on how to make one. I would also like to know the hp & aproxx year, it has a 6in stroke & 5 1/4 in bore, the flywheels are 1ft10in diameter and have a 2.5in face. It is hit & miss governed. Any help or information greatly appreciated. Thanks
Chester from west aussie.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2005, 06:53:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,286 Times in 1,433 Posts
Default Re: New Way Info

Chester,

I can't give you any details on the fan setup, but I do know that the later New-Way engines with one flywheel used a flat belt to drive the fan, hence no groove in the flywheel.

Mike
Old 01-21-2005, 11:07:15 PM
Registered-II

Chester,
I have an old New Way also. I love those old uprights. I'm not sure what one you have but it almost sounds like yours may be like mine. The mixer on the older New Ways were nothing but a long pipe and ball check on the tank. You can do almost anything for the fan. As long it has a pully and a fan blowing on the jug you got it made. If you want I can e mail you some some pic's of mine.

Will
Old 01-23-2005, 01:11:08 AM
Registered-III

Chester, without going out and checking (it is late here) it sounds like you have a 4 1/2 hp engine with 2 1/2 hp flywheels on it which should not work as the shaft sizes are different. The only New Ways without a grove in the flywheels for the fan belt were the type "F" models. It could be that your engine is a type "F" that has had an another flywheel put on the side that would have been for the clutch pulley. These later engines did have smaller flywheels with bigger bores and ran at higher rpm's but they were also not hit and miss. If you could email a picture I might be able to give you some better help.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:07:20 AM
Registered-II

Hi, thanks for the replies, i dont have a digital camera so cannot post photos.
I am confused about what i have, from the posts & a email i recieved it sounds like the flywheel size doesnt match the bore & stoke size, this engine has the hinged crankcase and a gear driven magneto although the bracket is missing.any more ideas, thanks,
Chester from west aussie