Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Gas Tank on a Jaeger 2HP S

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2019 times

Old 01-20-2005, 06:23:39 PM
CJ Winslow

Smile Gas Tank on a Jaeger 2HP S

I have a 2 HP S Jeager engine with the three-hole flywheels. It has the rectangular gas tank that mounts up inside the base of the engine. There are four ears up inside the base which the gas tank will sit up against on the top edge of the tank. I was just not sure what holds the tank up to these ears. When aligned with the filler neck hole and drain plug hole in the base the tank sits about three inches off of the skid. So what is the magical cure for holding the tank up to this height? Any help is great.

Thanks a Lot
CJ Winslow
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2005, 09:00:52 PM
Registered-III

Photo Re: Gas Tank on a Jaeger 2HP S

CJ, here is "shot in the dark" I stuck it under and pulled the trigger

The bars are original with new wires

This one has six spoke FW but is 2HP S
Attached Thumbnails
Img1151.JPG  

Last edited by Ralph Leonard; 01-20-2005 at 09:11:49 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 01-21-2005, 12:17:25 AM
CJ Winslow

Default Re: Gas Tank on a Jaeger 2HP S

Just so that I can be as clost to original as possible. Are those pieces of round - they look to be about 3/8" ?

Thanks - CJ
Old 01-21-2005, 06:48:52 AM
Registered-III

CJ...Yes they are round stock, But I think they are closer to 1/4" verses 3/8"
Mark Congden
Old 08-27-2005, 07:39:08 PM
Registered-III

I just picked up an all original Jaeger 2hp model S, all I had to do to get it to fire was make a new spark plug wire, it was missing the fuel piping to the tank, and the gas tank its self, I rigged up a make shift fuel line which is 3 1/6 and I joined it to a 1/4 piece of copper tube with a check ball, and got it to fire a few times before it quit, since I bet it wasn't rigged up right, my question is what type of wire do you use and where does it hook into, I am going to get a new tank when I go to Dublin from Lee Pederson, I have been told that this engine kind of different verses others because it has the fuel filler on the magneto side of the engine, is this true?
Thanks,
~ Jonathan
Old 08-27-2005, 10:19:26 PM
In Memory Of

All S model Hercules built engines have the fuel fill on the mag side as do some H models. Earlier models have the fuel fill on the off side.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:58:26 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,020 Posts
Exclamation Re: Gas Tank on a Jaeger 2HP S

The roda are 1/4" soft iron or steel, plain rods. I have seen them mounted in place 2 ways. One: like the earlier posted picture, where small holes are drilled about 1/16" from the inside edge of the block - a cotter pin or piece of bailing wire holds it in place, and Two: the rod ends are peened to the outside edge of the block, anchoring then in place. I have replaced the second type myself, it takes 2 people to peen the ends effectively. In both cases, the rod mount holes were clean thru the block. I used 1/4" 6010 welding rod, after the flux was knocked off, and the rods were wire brushed clean. The rods were relatively soft, and peened over easily.
Andrew
Old 08-28-2005, 09:15:18 PM
In Memory Of

On an S model, the rods do not go through the base. They have sort of a hook on each end to hold the wires (so they don't slip off) that go up over the lugs above the tank. It takes four wires.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:11:24 PM
Registered-III

I kind of see what you mean the wires attach inside the base and them down threw the rods, I bought a piece of 1/4 steel rod today, what sort of wire should I use ?
I have one other question, I rigged up a better system then I have when I first got the engine yesterday, I used a brass fitting and attached it to a piece of 1/4 fuel line at one end, on the other I attached a piece of 1/4 copper tubing with a check ball, the tubing is clamped to the hose. I have another fuel problem the engine will start and run fine for about a minute maybe 2 or 3, then it will start to want to die, but if you put your fingers over the carb for a couple seconds it fire again, after a nice big puff of smoke, and it will run again, what's my problem? I have basically eliminated any carb, or spark problem, and I pretty sure both the intake valve and spring are good, the only think i can think of is the exhaust valve needs a new guide or something to that effect, the valve in the guide has a lot of play you can move it back and forth a lot, also at sometime a little smoke and sometime some oil/fuel droplets will squirt out, nothing is getting past the piston or coming out the oiler pipe so I know the piston and bore are good.
Any advice on my second non Fairbanks Morse engine?
~ Jonathan
thanks to everyone who posted a response