Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

WICO EK coil core

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 3975 times

Old 01-22-2005, 04:35:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,949 Times in 1,052 Posts
Default WICO EK coil core

Can anyone sell me or guide me to a laminated coil core for a Wico EK? I've gathered up most of the pieces to put it together for my 1-1/2 horse Novo, but all the sources I can find either want to sell a complete mag, or a new core is as much as I've paid for all the other parts combined...coils, points, covers,etc. I watched Fleabay for about 6 mo., & even specimens of dubious quality all run about 175-200 bucks. This engine had the base & armature on it when I got it, the rest was robbed. Any usable core would be fine for me. This is about the last obstacle to getting the little guy to run-I'm getting anxious...
Thanks-Ron in CO...
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2005, 06:22:50 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: EK coil core

I feel your frustration on this one. I too have looked a while with no result. I think the problem is that 1.nobody makes them 2.the tooling to make them is out of reach for the average person 3. If you have one in your hands ,it is the same as having a mag because the rest of the items are more easily available to build the whole thing for yourself. Mike
Old 01-31-2005, 12:16:02 AM
Subscriber

Mike, somebody is making them, but they are proud of them. My buddy who runs a mag shop can get them, for $100-as much as I paid for the coils, points, covers, etc...if I have to, I'll bite the bullet & get it, but I just hoped there would be one out there somewhere, needing a home...what I really hate to do is take a chance on some of the junkers on ebay. Some of them look like they laid out in the ditch for 20 years.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:23:39 AM
Registered-III

I have a parts EK with one bad coil. Also missing front cover and has a crack in the alloy back frame. Everything else looks fine, including the laminated core, points are sharp, condenser tested good. My guess is that it would sell for 100 on eBay.
The problem is eBay is raising prices. You might try advertising in GEM.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:25:15 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,455 Posts

I don't know exactly what shape the core is for an EK but, if it's made of laminated magnet steel, you may be able to get some core stock from a motor shop or transformer winding company.

Barring that, look for a large junk AC motor and use the core material from it to make your mag core.

You can cut the core with a hacksaw or bandsaw but, before stacking the laminations, you should dress off all the burrs where it was cut. I believe the core metal has an insulating coating on it and you don't want the burrs to short the layers together. Also, it would be a good idea to spray the core with something like LPS-3 or something like it to retard rust.

Not much help, am I?

Good luck and take care - Elden
Old 01-31-2005, 10:53:46 AM
Administrator

Thanked 9,012 Times in 1,482 Posts

Maybe this will help in identifying parts. I don't see any laminations, except on the armature. Perhaps you mean the bar magnets within 141 ?

This drawing as well as the complete service manual is available on http://www.enginebooks.com/

You can see a lot of it on line at http://www.old-engine.com/maghma.htm

Old 01-31-2005, 11:53:35 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: WICO EK coil core

Man, glad to see the dam broke on this-I was thinking the thread was going nowhere. Harry, thanks for the pic-didn't know you had that. Bwegher, do you want to sell your EK? I got another response in a private message that I'll give priority, but if that doesn't work out, I'll let you know.
PS-the part I need is #141-actually, I believe it includes the magnet-I'll do more research on the link Harry gave.
Thanks to all-Ron in CO....
Old 01-31-2005, 12:14:59 PM
Subscriber

Smile Re: WICO EK coil core

Hey Harry, I just ordered the EK manual from your site. I hadn't seen it there before-glad to support your business. I should be able to sound more intelligent about them now...
Thanks-Ron in CO...
Old 02-03-2005, 12:20:49 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: WICO EK coil core-update

Well, after searching the vast internet, my friend here who runs a mag shop came up w/a parts EK-the magnets & core are the only good parts on it! It literally looks like it was under water for years, but the magnet will pick up a 12" crescent wrench, so I'm hoping it will make spark. Other than a few screws & such, I now have enough pieces to put it together, I think. Thanks to Harry & all who responded-Ron in CO...
Old 02-03-2005, 12:39:13 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: WICO EK coil core

I have a 2hp Novo that has the EK mag on it. The mounting bracket for the EK on this engine is hard to find because they broke easily when the mag would rust and stick. I was offered a large sum of Benfranklins for just the bracket off my motor. I still have it needless to say. As for the windings do a Google search for "Wico EK". I found lots of info including an actual instruction manual. Bob Shores has a scale one but the windings are the same. Do a Google search for "Bob Shores". He has published a book on the subject that will help you greatly.