Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Broken Piston

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2958 times

Old 01-22-2005, 06:40:18 PM
Sponsor

Default Broken Piston

This may be a REALLY STUPID question but here goes anyway. The piston, in my 1hp Ideal (see picture) has a fair size piece broken out of the bottom edge on the top side of the piston. My question is ...is it all right to run it this way ?? It would appear that it has been run this way as the edge of the break has a little polish to it. There was no sign of the broken piece in the crank case so I am assuming that the previous owner/owners new it was broken out. There doesn't feel like there has been any damage to the top of the cylinder....yet.
Thanks in advance for youe thoughts.
PS would anyone have one of these for sale if it needs to be replaced ??
Dave.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2005, 08:22:32 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts
Default Re: Broken Piston

My view is that a chunk broken out of the skirt area of the piston wouldn't necessarily hurt anything. If it was a multi cylinder, high RPM engine, the balance would probably be affected quite a bit. I had a corresponding chunk out of the cylinder area of a 4 cylinder Volkswagen engine in a dunebuggy, and it didn't bother it at all. I would take a good look and make sure there aren't any cracks in the wrist pin area. I doubt there are, but if your piston got loose from the rod while it was running, you could break the block, head, rod, crank, etc... quicker than you could say oops.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:50:59 PM
Subscriber

I have an old drag saw 2 stroke engine with very similar damage and have seen others damaged just alike. I figured that mine was likely broken at a time when the engine was being worked on, piston removed, had a floppy loose wrist pin, and it caught the person holding it of their guard and flopped hard against the rod, breaking out a piece. Mine wanted to flop over and break out the other side, too, because the piston crown is so much heavier than the skirt end.

I own another 2 stroke that has this piece brazed back on and then run for hundreds of hours, presumeably. I think Mr. Pulvers post is solid advice, provide your engine is 4 stroke or at least has no porting affected by the loss of the piece.

My old drag saw relic has the piece missing just where the piston skirt is acts as the timing valve for the intake port. Tis causes the port to open and close at the wrong times and for the wrong duration. Even this might not prevent running, altogether, or it might be repaired (?).

Other two strokes or ported four stroke engines could be similarly compromised, though I'm not familiar with the engine of the original message.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:12:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,996 Times in 1,287 Posts

I've had several engines with broken skirts. I think the prior advice is good. Give careful notice to ensure that a crack doesn't extend to the wrist pin area. If its just a broken chunk out of the skirt, it should be nothing more than a cosmetic issue.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:24:20 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjudge
I've had several engines with broken skirts. I think the prior advice is good. Give careful notice to ensure that a crack doesn't extend to the wrist pin area. If its just a broken chunk out of the skirt, it should be nothing more than a cosmetic issue.
Also look at the inner edges for propogating micro-cracks. My instinct would be to "round off" sharp areas with file.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:49:11 PM
Sponsor

Thanks everyone for the input. No sign of any more cracks. The rings are still in good shape as well as the wrist pin so I'm glad I can put it back in.
Dave.
PS Wish I could get this picture size under control or figure out how to thumb nail them.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:37:15 PM
Registered-III

Put it back together and do what i do, sell it tom winland!!!!
Old 01-23-2005, 03:37:51 PM
Registered-III

Put it back together and do what i do, sell it to tom winland!!!!
Old 01-23-2005, 05:48:28 PM
Sponsor

Ha, Don't think he likes anything that doesn't take a bulldozer to get out of the woods does he ??