Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Engine Prices - oil field engines

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 4520 times

Old 01-24-2005, 12:09:03 AM
Registered-III

Default Engine Prices - oil field engines

Oh boy but I have opened a huge can o worms. I have formed two big complaints with old iron in the last year. #1: The prices. This is killing me...I know that they are not commion any more but what people are asking is really nuts! (my opinion only) The BYB. $200! Need I say more?!? Sure it is a great book to have, I wish I had one. Ok so yes it has been out of print but still 200 for a book?!? Is it worth it? to some yes, to me, no...I'd rather put that money towards another old engine and wait for a 50 doller copy of the BYB (sooner or later I'll find it.) Engines: $300 without a mag, $550 with. It doubles the price. once again not common but still seems a bit unreasonable. On the big engine board there is a free engine. FREE! Some people get the idea that these engines are made of gold. Newspaper; FMZ 3 hp 500 bucks, no mag FIRM. I call and the guy realy meant firm. AND IT WAS INCOMPLETE! The prices are realy making an engine collection difficult to build.

#2 the way the oil field engines are disapearing, now this one is realy no ones fault. I just wish that there would be some good ones left behind for me and the other young guys that can not get out to the oil field to rip a few engines out yet. I understand supply and demand, I also understand the time and work that goes into an engine. I know from the time and money I put into my jaeger, I also know that it would sell for a whole heck of alot more than I put into it. If I were to sell it (Not that I will) I would not go for a killing on the profit. IT IS A HOBBY, HOBBIES ARE NOT DONE FOR THE MONEY (Hit n miss enterprise, craig anderson and all the other ones are excused because o the service they provide) and the prices expected is realy making it hard on us young guys. Once again I appologize for complaning...not something I normaly do but I think that the prices make it hard on many of us young guys.

If you have read this far, I am impressed, you put up with a lot of stuff. Thanks for reading it. And think about it.
Mac Leod
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2005, 12:28:51 AM
In Memory Of

Default Re: engine prices

I began collecting engines when I was 12.That was 1972 by the way! I thought all of the engines had been bought up by the "big" collectors. I have bought and sold over the years and I have owned some GREAT stuff. I find if you are willing to do a little horse trading= selling, waiting= wait for a good deal, this is a very inexpensive hobby.
Try race cars or golfing, it is all out the door. In this hobby if you are willing to work for it you can have it. No, you maybe can't have all of it, but try to decide what you REALLY want!
By the way, I still have my 6H.P. ball hoppered Monitor my dad bought in 1974 for $150.00.I restored it when I was 14!!!! And I still have two steam locomotives
a 8-16 mogul I've owned TWICE and a 14-28 Rumely plus several pre 1915 cars.You don't even want to know what I gave up to get these!
Point being, hang in there Mac! I've even sold scrap iron to make engine money! Thomas Edison said" Oportunity is often missed because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
Old 01-24-2005, 12:40:06 AM
Subscriber

I too noticed that I cannot afford anything. Here in central Illinois, jobs are very hard to find (i've been unemployed since august) and old engines are not to be found. The few briggs I've got my dad and I bought (an NPR6, 5S and ZZ) for 25 dollars at Argyle last fall. I found a cushman X, but he wants a stupid price and it has no ignition or mixer. I don't plan to spend more than I pay for a vehicle on an engine that isn't even complete. My dad had 5 or 6 hit and miss engines when i was about 4, and they intrigue me with simplicity, but I guess I'll have to keep drooling at pictures.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:37:50 AM

Thanked 17,705 Times in 5,300 Posts

Hey Mac, I hear you! BUT, I've talked with a LOT of older collectors who tell of engines and tractors and the ridiculously low prices they paid for them at the time...but, put in context with the TIME they were bought, a LOT of them, even THEN, were very expensive when you consider what a dollar was worth in those days. GOOD stuff has ALWAYS been worth GOOD money....even before the "hobby" was what it is today. A $500 HOBBY tractor in 1950 was a VERY EXPENSIVE toy!!! If you are going to improve your collection you are going to HAVE to go for the "killing" (GADS I hate saying that..... ) or you won't get anywhere......unless you were born with the "silver spoon" thing.
Being in California isn't helping you either....location, location, location.
You are SOMEWHAT correct in saying that HOBBYS ARE NOT DONE FOR THE MONEY.......but hobbys TAKE money (you figured THAT out!). It's a catch 22 if there ever was one!!! The difference, I think, is where a "collector" collects only to sell....THEN he's a dealer....NOT a collector. BUT I also think random "collecting" withOUT thinking about value is kind of foolish. I don't think there is ONE of us who hasn't stuck more INTO a piece than we could ever get out of it though. That kind of goes to that "I'LL NEVER EVER SELL IT!!!" mentality...........and then we DO because something else came along. We've ALL done it. I've done it about 30 times!!! I'm at the stage now where I think I've about had it because now I REALLY don't want to sell anything and anything else I would REALLY want is WAAAAAAY beyond what I could afford to pay. So I'm happy (ecstatic really) with the SEVEN tractors I have left.
I've gone on enough now..............
Craig
Old 01-24-2005, 02:39:36 AM
In Memory Of

Mac,kind of a follow up on my previous post. When Dad bought that 6H.P. Monitor in 1974 we signed up to buy it from Frank Otts estate. Several other people had a chance but they let me as a young collector have a chance at it. Also in 1974 that was alot of $$$$$$$$$$$. I was working moving pipe on a farm for $1.65 per hour!
No, I'm not going into the having to walk to school 5 miles up hill both ways, But just as Craig said, really what seems expensive now will seem like a deal in a few years!!!!
Hang in there it won't happen over nite but that next piece of iron is just around the corner!!!!!! Michael
Old 01-24-2005, 09:27:21 AM
Subscriber

All you guys have very interesting posts and views, but one thing that
I have seen in the few years I have been collecting is the old addage of supply and demand (I guess ). Case in point John Deere E engines back in the mid 90's I have a friend who would make a trip to Portland every year and come back with a trailer load of 1 1/2's to sell, he never paid more that $350 then for a running Deere 1 1/2. I bought several of them from him with a little profit for him for his trouble and hauling. Now I have seen JD-E Mags go for $300 plus on Greed-bay (catchy name huh ). All joking aside I feel as though the internet auction sites have really pushed prices on this stuff up. Although the internet has become an invaluable tool for finding the most obscure parts for the oddest of all engines, it seems that it has drove the prices of the common stuff up also. While I am up here on the box, I want to throw this in. I just got my newsletter from the local club I belong to , in there it says that engine displays are way down at our club sponsored shows and tractors are taking over the shows. (it seems that some folks have a problem with tractors at the shows) and they are trying to discourage tractor folks from the shows by putting a bunch of restrictions on the tractors. I am a engine collector as well as having a couple of show tractors. It seems to me that this engine hobby is growing by leaps and bounds reflected by the high prices so where have all the people displaying engines gone? My clubs directors feel that the engine folks do not want to display there stuff with tractors around. I personally don't buy that load of garbage. Because I enjoy seeing both engines and tractors, but don't get me wrong a quanity of 50 Ford 8N's don't do it for me of course neither does 50 maytags. I like to see a variety of engines and tractors. So someone help me figure this one out!!!!

My 2 cents
Denny
Old 01-24-2005, 11:07:31 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,455 Posts

My twenty mils worth:

I got my first engine, an F-M dishpan -free- in the 1950's. Around that time, I could have gotten a lot of nice engines (I don't know if they were rare or not) for the effort of dragging them off but Dad resisted because, although he was mechanically inclined, he thought they were dangerous for a 14 year old to be playing with.

Back then, nobody in their right mind (Whoever said I was in my right mind! ) collected old flywheel engines. They were considered something that took up valuable storage space and anyone who came by and was capable of loading them up and hauling them to the scrap yard was welcome to them.

Today, prices for old engines are rising and, although I don't like it, that's the way it is. I was in the antique car hobby for years and finally eased out because of rising prices making folks afraid of driving them and hurting their "investment".

I'm a-stickin' with this hobby. I've got two engines and, if I feel the need to work on something different, I have friends who are happy to let me play. That gives me the joy of working on old iron without the expense and clutter.

Remember what Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) said about land prices which holds true for a lot of things. This isn't it exactly but conveys the meaning: "The price is going to rise because they ain't makin' it any more".

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand
Old 01-24-2005, 07:38:50 PM
Robert Jensen

A friend of mine bought his first engine, a 1.5 horse John Deere, for $7.50 at a farm auction when he was 15 years old. His dad gave him the devil because, in his dad's way of thinking, the auctioneer would have backed down to $6.00! Isn't that right, Rusty?
Old 01-24-2005, 07:41:46 PM
Sky

Thumbs up Re: engine prices

noone probably doesn't care what i think of old engine prices and worth and rareity becouse i have posted around at places ALOT about engine worth, but from my experience 13 years(i started early in this hobby) i find that talking and listening to other fellow collectors and posting things, to me, it finnaly narrows down to this.
#1 supply in parts and demand (wich i have known for most of my collecting day's)
#2 rareity in parts and how hard it is to find them nowa day's
#3 how old your engine is (early model or late model) how old or how young.? becouse there will never be engines made like that again!
it doesn't matter to me becouse i love this hobby and i like the rewards this hobby VERY MUCH gives. i dont care rilly what model or make of an antuique engine is, there OLD, some very old, and there neat looking and they run alot deferent than todays engine(parts an mechanical wise)
i dont care how rare an engine is, dont care what it takes to restore them, dont care what there worth, but it is the neat and rewarding hobby that not only I, but alot of engine collectors i would think, do it for.
this is what i think of being a antuique engine collector rilly is, ok, so i only have 3 engines, a 32 Y Briggs, a 30 FH, a 43 Z model Briggs, soon hopefully a WM model, but the enjoyment is WELL worth it. don't ya think?
i dont think none of us collectors do it for the money and rareity, rather just starting or if you have been in it for a while,....all for the enjoyment and fun.....THATS WHAT MAKES THIS HOBBY SOO COOL! and that is what makes us and me, happy collectors....or for just the hobby, tinkering around wise, eaither one.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:11:52 PM
Registered-III

Ca. is hard when it comes to engines... IHC LA or LB ($300 a peice. incompleat) Arrrrggggg. Right now I am doing a bit of research on a few oil derricks in an area near by. They were used in the 1920s, Any idea as to the HP of an engine that would pump oil from 2400 FT? Doubt there is any thing left but it is worth a try and seeing as I have little else to do....

Thanks

Mac Leod
Old 01-25-2005, 12:13:39 AM
Registered-III

I would expect to find a 20 or 25 HP engine on such a 1920's location, if the original one is still there. A later installation used only for pumping & servicing the well might be smaller, but still interesting. You never really know what you might find in an old oil field.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:34:17 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Engine Prices - oil field engines

every year i say im going to buy an engine at portland.. well it never happens.. yes the prices are getting too high for me, im a young collector, 18 to be exact. this past show up at portland i finally came home with an engine, after 2.5 years of saving. it could be alot worse though, im a collector, i dont buy and resell, if i do sell something its because i want to put it towards something i want or i just need the room. a week or so ago i was wanting a steam engine, CRIKEY! i mean yes there neat and all, but for the price of some of them i could have a new truck. so steam can wait for now. i jsut hate to see prices 5-10 years from now. its going to be unreal.

my two cents.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:48:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,977 Times in 427 Posts

The lesser amount of anything makes it worth more, if the earth were made of Gold a man would give his all for a handfull of dirt.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:28:12 PM
Registered-II

Anything is only worth what a person will pay for it. I would love to have a 4 car garage with 4 Italian sports cars. Can't afford them, but I still desire them. I read my car mags and learn all I can about them because, some day, I may have a chance to buy just one and that chance is what keeps my interest high. You can't afford an engine? Or, you can't afford the engine you want? Which one is it? Either way, that's the way of the world. I can't afford the Ferrari I want but I do have a truck to drive, not the Ferrari I want. The lack of funds to buy shouldn't reduce the desire.

If everyone had all the engines, tractors, grinders or what ever that they wanted this would be a dead hobby. If you want to blame someone for the so called "high cost" of engines, blame Grandpa for junking them, because if he didn't there would be so many no one would care.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:54:09 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Brooks
. If everyone had all the engines, tractors, grinders or what ever that they wanted this would be a dead hobby.
finding engines, buying engines, its just part of the fun. money just makes it like a roller coaster. i got this much $$ and that engine is that $$$. 20 minutes later, the engine is sold. then a hour goes by and the same engine is sitting 4 rows over with an even bigger $$$$$ on it. what a philosophy.

another .02 cents
Old 01-25-2005, 10:12:00 PM
Registered-III

no no, can't blame grandpa for junking them...my jaeger was My great grandpa's engine...does not mean it was cheap though

Mac Leod
Old 01-25-2005, 10:56:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,287 Times in 1,434 Posts

Check out this Novo engine on eBay. Seems like a deal to me. If I lived in TX it would belong to me right now. Don't know how to post a link, but the item number is 3869706056. I can't believe nobody hasn't snapped it up yet!

Mike
Old 01-26-2005, 12:51:38 AM
Registered-III

Wow, not bad...rather have that than an la/lb and it's $100 less. Ca. Prices ARRRRRG!

Mac Leod
Old 01-29-2005, 09:03:17 PM
Registered-III

well, I went to a swap meet today and found engines, 1 sampson ($3000-sold) 2 a very stuck, missing mag, missing parts ihc la/lb...$200 and the guy would not budge on his price. 3 a ihc lb almost compleat, some compression mag needed rebuild, $200 and this other guy would not budge on the price. Then there was a david bradly chain say, stuck/missing parts, CBW only a mere $40. 2 briggs 5s in need of work. $45. considered but not what I want. and finaly a curtes air compressor. shot bearings and a re paint 45

Then again I think i did ok...1 moline plow wrench ($2) and a very nice splitdorf plug ($5)

Mac Leod