Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

pitted cylynders

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2585 times

Old 01-25-2005, 09:07:02 AM
Registered-II

Default pitted cylynders

i got in on a partial conversation at a show about fixing rust pits in cylynders with some type of high heat epoxy. has anyone ever done this. if there is i've got one i may try it on. there is 3 rust pits on the bottom of the cylynder big enough i think oil slobber would be a problem but not big enough to bore and dry sleeve in my opinion. any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2005, 10:21:11 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: pitted cylynders

The only thing that comes to mind is thermal spray. I'm not exactly sure how it works, as I've never seen it done, but I think it works kinda like powder coating, only, of course, the powder is an alloy of some sort. A good machine shop here doesn't even weld cast anymore, he said they thermal spray it all. Might be worth looking into...
Old 01-25-2005, 11:17:25 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts

Bear:

If, as you say, the pits are out of the area of ring travel, I'd just leave it as is.

If you feel that you must fix the pits, get them REALLY clean and use something like "JB Weld", iron filled Belzona or iron filled Devcon.

Fill the pits then, after the epoxy has thoroughly hardened, lightly hone the surface to match the bore.

Good luck - Elden
Old 01-25-2005, 06:21:21 PM
Subscriber

Use the regular J-B Weld, not the "quickie" 4-minute stuff. The area must be chemically CLEAN!!!!!!!! Al Wait
Old 01-25-2005, 08:24:50 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear
fixing rust pits in cylynders with some type of high heat epoxy. has anyone ever done this. if there is i've got one i may try it on. there is 3 rust pits on the bottom of the cylynder big enough i think oil slobber would be a problem but not big enough to bore and dry sleeve in my opinion. any ideas?
Yep, I've done it using Devcon Titanium Putty. The pit was about 1/2" tall, the circumference of the cylinder, and about 3/16" deep. The repair worked fine.

A friend as used JB Weld. He reports good results as well, except the JB Weld used to smooth the combustion chamber area eventually burned out. I would expect that Devcon would burn out in that area also.

Rob
Old 01-26-2005, 08:31:04 AM
Registered-II

thanks for the replies. the pits are in the ring travel area
Old 01-26-2005, 10:28:46 PM
Subscriber

My brother and I have used J-B Weld on at least 2 different engines with good results. One is a 3 hp F-M Z that had 4 fairly deep grooves caused by an errant wrist pin. Filled grooves 15 years ago with J-B Weld and repair is still holding with at least 2 or 3 hundred hours on it.

As stated, area must be absolutely clean - use a Dremel tool or die grinder to clean out contaminated surface metal. After the epoxy just begins to set up put a piece of wax paper over repair and use a socket or similar metal cylinder as a small rolling pin to smooth and contour the surface. This will help to minimize removal of excess material later. The wax paper will remove easily after the epoxy sets up.

Larry