Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Show ideas

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2277 times

Old 01-26-2005, 09:49:43 PM
Registered-III

Default Show ideas

First, I want to thank everyone for helping me with my FMB c118 and United 1 3/4 hp engine rebuild. I may need a little help with the united ignitor, but thats for another time.

I live in a depressed area of southcentral Virginia (10-13% unemploymnent) textile and tobacco. We are trying to start an agricultrical/antique/heritage show in hopes of creating some tourism in the area (we can't all be golfers and race car drivers).

I'm looking for some ideas besides just the draw of large numbers of engines. Maybe something educational, and fun for families with kids. The only thing i can come up with so far is a display explaining the different types of ignition systems. maybe something behind a clear shield that people could use their hands to simulate the workings , the end result is a spark across a plug/ignitor.

With my job and cattle, I don't travel well and have never been to an organized show, so any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks fellows.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2005, 09:53:34 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Show ideas

A lot of our clubs have pedal tractor pulls for the kids so they can have something to participate in. They are open to the spectators. Just an idea.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:09:35 PM
Registered-III

Have you ever seen the yearly show directory? If you can find a copy, look at the ads for the shows, and see what they have to offer. there will be hundreds of good ideas.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:54:21 PM

Thanked 17,702 Times in 5,299 Posts

Have any daily or weekly newpapers, radio or TV stations around? USE THEM! You'd be surprised how much FREE publicity you can get if you just ASK. Community Events listings in other nearby (or even NOT so nearby) might include your event and you can probably submit it right from your computer.
So far so good....now comes the bad: INSURANCE INSURANCE INSURANCE.
Be sure you have it or, if the event will be held on Public property (the BEST and CHEAPEST place) at least see that you are protected.....unless you want to take a chance on losing everything you own because of some litigous SOB.

Now that the money stuff is out of the way (you DID say it's a depressed area): What do YOU like to see at a show??? Start there and build on it. Invite crafters such as spinners and weavers, woodworkers and blacksmiths in ADDITION to your engine (tractor?) exhibitors.
And THEN, no matter WHAT you do, someone is going to complain about something. Listen, keep like an idiot and thank them for bringing that to your attention and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS thank them for coming.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:07:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,158 Times in 774 Posts

Well.... When I go to a show I like to see a Sawmill that works. People will watch a Mill all day long... And I don't mean the Woodmizer kind either... Use Steam or OLD Tractors.... Few people like to watch a 4 - 71 Jimmy Saw Lumber.... Have lots of action and try to keep something going on all the time. I have been to a few shows where they get a Good Crowd and when they try to Saw or Thresh and everything seems to break or not work and people just leave and lot of them don't come back.... Practically any kind of activety will keep a crowd happy.... Dyno's, Tractor pulls, Woodworking demo's ect....
Old 01-28-2005, 12:35:13 AM

Thanked 17,702 Times in 5,299 Posts

That's great advice! Have SOMETHING going on ALL the time no matter WHAT it is. Don't have to do it ALL at the same time. The public MOSTLY has a short attention span (chronic ADD I think~~~~ ) and won't stay at any ONE particular display for very long except as Ken said, it seems they'll watch a sawmill ALL DAY LONG.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:51:37 AM
Registered-II

Craig I think most are just waitin around to see if we cut off a finger or two on "that contraption" Joe M.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:13:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,158 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Musser
Craig I think most are just waitin around to see if we cut off a finger or two on "that contraption" Joe M.
Yup Thats Probably a factor.... But a sawmill is a Good test of governor action and is a great variable load.... I've had people tell me that engine must see the Log comming.... Some Engines/Tractors got it and some Don't...
Old 01-30-2005, 05:47:06 PM
Registered-II

When we have our festival it includes items such as tractor parade,antique car parade,threshing, sawmill with steam engine power,live music,a row of crafts for the ladies to buy,blacksmith in operation,foundry demonstration,glass blowing demonstration,bee keeping demonstration,2 man pit saw demonstration,sheep shearing,scrapple making,and ice cream made by a 1 1/2 John Deere [can't make it fast enough for the crowd].Last year we had an encampment of Civil War re-enactors including their horses and a field hospital tent.I gotta quit now ,I'm getting excited just rethinking about it.There is truly no limit to it .You can't go wrong with lots of good local food to eat either. Hope this helps. Mike