Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Got it BAD!!

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 3047 times

Old 01-27-2005, 05:59:33 PM
Registered-II

Default Got it BAD!!

About a year ago I drug home a Nelson 1 ˝ hp hit n miss (190?) and a FM Z 3 hp throttle govern (1916). I tinkered with them now and again, just a little to the point where the engine could be turned over, I’m still in the process of building my shop. Then in the summer I went to the Oregon Steam Up at Brooks. Had the time of my life at the Steam Up, met absolutely wonderful people that were more than eager to offer advice and information. Joined the local EDGE&TA and then by accident later in the fall, found Smokstak, my lucky day!! What a lucky year!!
The engines were originally going to be something to tinker with and knock the rust off of, in my spare time. Was going to just do the minimum to get them running. Right? - Wrong!! Now there is a 55 gallon plastic drum, laying on its side in a lean-to off the side of my shop, which is still not finished, this drum used to be my extra water for when we camped for extended periods in areas without water, is now my rust removal vat. Most of the Nelson engine has been through the vat and will be eventually painted up nice and pretty. The FM is setting on another bench and I’m looking at buying another FM.
Where I’m going with all of this is, all in less than a years time, I have fallen so far in love with this. I can’t sleep right, I’m dreaming about engines, I get up early in the morning and go out to the shop just to look at the parts and engines before going to work and then upon returning home, I work/tinker on them in the evenings before bed. I moved a chair into the shop so that I could set and look at them.
OK – now the questions – any suggestion to help cure the disease?
What is the disease called?
Thank you
Ken
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2005, 06:09:35 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,095 Times in 1,503 Posts
Default Re: Got it BAD!!

Welcome Ken to the great hobby of antique engines. I think it is called RUSTITUS or something like that . Sorry can't say more, I hear a 2 1/2 h.p. Famous calling.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:45:57 PM
Registered-III

Sorry there is no cure! it only gets better "or worse" with time. One of the main resons I love this hobby is the people. You will be hard pressed to find another hobby with folks so eager to help. You will soon find out that your shop is really your second home, if your like me you will never run out of "projects". . Doug Waggonner
Old 01-27-2005, 07:19:17 PM
Registered-III

You sir, are a rustaholic... the only option is to satisfy your cravings for rust with rust. I am afraid that modern medicine has yet to discover a cure for this syndrom (Luckly)

Mac Leod
Old 01-27-2005, 08:45:10 PM
Registered-II

With your left hand, reach around to the back of your neck. Put your fingers just above your hair line at the center of the base of your skull. Do you feel that bump? That my friend is the first tooth of "Gear Head".
Old 01-27-2005, 08:54:05 PM
Rusty Seeker

I have had rustitus or old iron fever for most of my life. I had it when I was a little dink, then grew out of it, and now, at the age of 14, I have it stronger than ever again! I hope there will never be a cure for this disease. Curing this disease will get rid of many nice people and alot of fun times.

Rusty
Old 01-27-2005, 08:57:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,034 Times in 457 Posts

Rustyironitis. No known cure, sometimes put into remission by marriage. Most with rusyironitis also have magnetic personality disorder.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:36:48 PM

Thanked 17,702 Times in 5,299 Posts

There is no known antidote and the only relief requires the expenditure of vast amounts of cash which results in vast amounts of iron which requires a vast amount of repairs which requires vast amounts of cash AND time which results in the aformentioned vast amount of iron which requires a vast amount of room which will DEFINITELY require a vast amount of understanding (AND leeway) from your significant other.

A VIP at this site recently told me: "It's a sickness."
Old 01-27-2005, 11:41:51 PM
Registered-III

Definitely a case of OldIron fever
Old 01-28-2005, 12:15:35 AM
Sky

Talking Re: Got it BAD!!

Talk about oldIron feavor, i know i got it, what can i say...it's a spreading sickness geeez, im such a gear head it aint funny, got all kinds of gears and sprockets, thingymajigers and whatchyamacallit's goin on here!
dogone, i even got engines in the house in the winter time, and keep them clean as posible and if one dont run, i scramble to get it going again!
at rilly no care for what it costs..or what it takes...but it doesn't get to outragious in price and things. right now im on my 3erd engine, a 33 Y model briggs, but i havnt even got that all togeather and painted yet and im already thinking and asking about a maytag project, even looking forward to a WM! maybee a fairbanks someday! i even go through gallons of kero to keep the heater going in the winter time so i can stay in the shop 95 percent of the time!
Old 01-28-2005, 08:39:57 AM
Registered-II

Lightbulb Re: Got it BAD!!

You reckon a good big magnet strapped to the head would prevent some of the rust from gettin' to the brain?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:40:31 AM
Chris Curtis

There is absolutely no cure for this problem however over the years I have discovered many ways to "slow down" the effects. Here are a few:
1. Join the Army
2. Get married
3. Have a kid
4. Buy a house
5. Have another kid
6. Break expensive vehicle trying to drag old iron out of woods.
7. Get caught up on "honeydew list"
8. Build a new shop
9. Change jobs
10. And if you REALLY want to put this disease on hold for ahwhile, Let your wife catch you cleaning parts in the bathtub because it was to cold outside! (turns out she is a little more refined than I am)
Old 01-28-2005, 10:59:03 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts

I got "RUSTITUS" bad. Should have stayed retired, but went back to work on 3rd. shift to support the habit. Some folks think I'm a bit for doing that. Just can't help myself . No known cure........ .
Old 01-28-2005, 06:20:58 PM
Registered-II

You fellas only have it partially right,I know because I have been researching the cure for many years.It all started with a spontaneous grin that came on the face of our long lost ansestor when the very first gear,sprocket and hub was fastened to the pull end of a horse.The easier the work got,the more the smile infected the genetics.It has such a tap root wrapped around that little bitty gene by this time that not even bitter cold,blazing heat,reason,pleading or threats can move it off target.We are stuck...no cure will ever be found . Mike
Old 01-28-2005, 07:40:25 PM
Rusty Seeker

Talking Re: Got it BAD!!

One thing to remember, RUSTITUS SPREADS!!!!!!! Thats right, rustitus, old iron fever, gear head syndrome, you name it, ITS CONTAGIOUS!!!!!!... (thats a good thing though, right??)

Rusty
Old 01-28-2005, 07:56:27 PM
Registered-III

Isn't that why there is a PORTLAND IND... a real cure for the dreaded Diesece...Drop a lot of money.....Work hard to load it.... Lake Portland was Nice..... Drop a lot of Money..... Only Cure I Know Of.... So Far But I';m a Newby,, Byron
Old 01-28-2005, 08:06:07 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,038 Times in 245 Posts

For those that talk about a cure that's the same as admitting you have a problem, which is the 1st step in the 12 step recovery process. Me, I'm still in DENIAL!!
Old 01-28-2005, 08:39:29 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A Thackery
For those that talk about a cure that's the same as admitting you have a problem, which is the 1st step in the 12 step recovery process. Me, I'm still in DENIAL!!
I agree with Wayne. I don't have a problem. The people that have the problem are the ones that keep asking me why I need another engine. My only problem is deciding which one to work on next.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:36:49 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts
Red face Re: Got it BAD!!

I know I've got it bad when I get kinda choked-up riding on the Durango-Silverton railroad with my head stuck out watching the steam locomotive "dancing" on the rails going around a curve under full steam, side rods and valve gear going like crazy.

At least, I'm not so far gone that I think I can stay married with one of those little "Mud Hen" locos ahead of my own private train. Hmmmm......take a flat car and make a garden out of it..........Nawwww.......never mind! - I'd never get THAT idea to fly - She'd prolly complain about cinders on her petunias or something.

Oh, well - back to sleep.

Take care - Elden
Old 01-30-2005, 07:47:01 AM
Registered

Take two flywheels and call me in the morning!