Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Sumter Mag Question

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1923 times

Old 01-28-2005, 12:05:07 PM
Registered-II

Default Sumter Mag Question

Last fall I pulled the Sumter mag off of the FMZ and sent it in to get rebuilt. While it was in the shop I put a FM J mag on it, just to see what it would do. After several weeks got the mag back, but it had no spark. Sent it back, forgot about it and then got it back just the other day. Last night I went to put it back on and something was wrong. It got put back together backwards!! I tore it apart and put it back together correctly and then spun it. No spark! After playing with it for a while I could feel just a little trickle of juice flowing when I spun it, is that enough to get a decent explosion? The Sumter is a 1915 and I believe that it is original. The FM J has no date, about what year do you think? Would I be best to use the FM J?
Thank you
Ken
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2005, 01:54:30 PM
Card Sponsor

Default Re: Sumter Mag Question

The Sumter mag which is low tension is the right and orginal mag to use on that year of engine. If the mag was repaired properly it will have enough spark to run the engine. If you ground the leadout terminal on the mag resistance should be felt. Sumter mags are a little fussy about the air gap between the inductor and the field poles. If the base is crappy or expanded then the mag won't work or very poorly. Also has the coil been tested for output , and how strong are the magnets. these are all things that have to be " right" on a low tension mag. You can use a high tension FM J but then you will have to remove the ignitor and make a sparkplug adaptor. there was a factory conversion kit offered for these engines which consisted of a plug adaptor and a bolt on mag bracket , using a Bosch AB-33 mag. I own 3 of these early FM-Z engines one with a #14 Sumter osc. mag one with a Sumter #12 Rotary mag and the high tension AB-33 mag. they all start and run very well on the mags.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:09:24 PM
Administrator

Thanked 9,006 Times in 1,480 Posts

The attachment is a photo of the spark plug adaptor that was in my 3HP Z.

Here is a link to my page if it is of any help to you. Rudy is right, that if the circuit is open on the mag, you won't feel any resistance when you turn it.

http://www.old-engine.com/fairbank.htm

Attached Thumbnails
fmz-plug.jpg  
Old 01-28-2005, 05:14:11 PM
Registered-II

That all helps very much. Thank you
The mag I’m speaking of is like the one at the bottom
and the "spark" is marked differently, if that makes any difference.
Thanks again
Ken