Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

durcopump, info neded

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 3739 times

Old 02-07-2005, 12:21:06 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,122 Times in 591 Posts
Default Re: durcopump, info needed

Mac Leod,

Believe what Chuck was referring to was drips of water leaking past the seal to lubricate it, not oil.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2005, 02:12:32 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: durcopump, info neded

I'm hoping someone can explain the packing gland, braided rope packing, and lantern ring better..... It is quite simply some number, say about three to six, individually cut loops of braided packing (instead of numerous wraps wound from a single length) and these "rings" as they are commonly called are placed round the pump shaft, staggering the seams so they are not in a line and then the gland lightly compresses them. The gland looks a bit like a flange with a tube-shaped nosing that is inserted into the packing bore, known as a "stuffing box", which is intregally cast as part of the pump housing. The "packing is tightened" by gradually tightening down the nuts threaded onto the bolts slipped into the notches on either side of the stuffing box. (where the shaft pokes through).

Sometimes, the gland is constructed from two pieces that half-lap each other. This allows for the gland to be removed for replacing the packing. Otherwise, the "solid" or one-piece gland can't be removed for packing service- only slid out of the way. Yours may very well have this split-gland feature as there is not much space between the gland and the shaft bearing retainer just to the right.

If your pump does have "rope" packing, it needs a teensy bit of water migrate from the impellor housing, lubricate the shaft/packing interface, and to drip out and literally drip off the bottom of the gland (or get thrown across the room). If a rope packing runs dry or the packing is too tight, things get real hot and the packing will "burn" or overheat. This overheating ruins the packing by scorching and will cause lots of groove-type wearing or scoring of the shaft which even new packing will not seal adequately, thus easy, but important care is given that the packing gland be properly attended to.

Keep it a bit too loose after a repacking or re-commissioning an unknown pump, snugging up slowly, as needed, by alternately tightening the packing gland nuts while keeping the gland square to the shaft as possible. New packing and restart of old can tend to grow a little in the first few hours and overheat if it was tightened too quickly at first, so the first hours are important.

A lot of pumps use a monel or stainless shaft sleeve where the packing rides so that the sleeve wears and not the shaft. As for your, I can't say.

Now.... it is possible for your pump to have what looks like a rope packing and packing gland but actually have a rotary pump seal. This type of seal is designed not to leak, at all. They are very common and sometimes,but infrequently, use what looks like a gland but is actually machined-out to accept the rotary shaft seal seat. I'm not trying to throw you a curveball but you probably would want to be aware of the possibility.
If you can teardown and re-assemble an old farm engine, this pump won't throw you very far. You would get a lot of mileage from an engineering encyclopdia like "Marks", etc. They have a lot of generic schematic drawings about just about every type of ingenious device (engine).
Old 02-07-2005, 11:25:49 PM
Registered-III

If you look at the picture, there is no way (so far as I can see) for the water to get to the bearings. I think it does have the packing so I guess that it would be lubicated by oil in the chamber, I think that would work fine and the zerk would provide grease for the bearings. If this sounds alright let me know...if it does not sound right well I imaging I will be corrected.

Thanks for all your help.

Mac Leod
Old 02-08-2005, 01:24:10 AM

Thanked 17,703 Times in 5,300 Posts

IF there is no way to lubricate the packing gland then there is PROBABLY an internal passage for water to get to a lantern ring in the stuffing box assuming there IS a lantern ring. This pump is, without question, an industrial pump meant for continuous operation in which case I think there would be a provision for water to get to the packing gland other than just ordinary seepage from within the pump body.
Here's what a lantern ring looks like. It is located midway between the inner and packing rings.
Attached Thumbnails
Lantern ring.jpg  
Old 02-08-2005, 11:44:50 AM
Registered-III

This is the packing that needs to drip.

(See picture)
Attached Thumbnails
durcopump4engineads.JPG